cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Recovery is:

Recovery is doing self care, even when you don't feel you deserve it.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@redhead such an awesome idea for a thread Smiley Happy Everyone has posted really insightful things so far!

Recovery is asking for help, and persisting with self care even when things get super tough and overwhelming.

This is a tricky one @redhead but such a great topic! I am trying to think of what recovery means to me and it's proving hard to explain.

Here goes:

Recovery is the process of changing. It's finding, learning about and then deciding to use skills to maintain wellbeing and work through tough times. I don't think recovery means everything is always perfect all the time, life's just not like that.

I think we begin to recover when we have decided to use the skills we have learned that help us be healthy or stay safe when things aren't going great.  Eventually, after we have practiced them heaps it's being able to unconsciously do the stuff that helps because we have been practicing the skills for so long that we just are in the habit of doing them. I think every time we use those skills instead of something that doesn't help as much we have "recovered".

Something that's important for me in regards to recovery is that it's totally okay and natural for relapses to happen. In fact a lot of the stuff i have read about changing or recovering from a thing we do that's harmful- for example self-harm says that relapsing is a natural part of the process.

It's not as simple as just going from doing one thing one day and then jumping across to something else the next day. You generally have to go through a few cycles of practicing a skill that is part of recovery, stuffing up and then going back to praciticing. So it's okay to relapse it doesn't mean you've stopped working towards recovery and it doesn't mean you've gone back to square one. What it means is that you're in a different part of the cycle of changing that happens as part of recovery and it's time to think about what happened, what you can learn from it and how to get back to practicing the recovery skills.

Here's a thing called the wheel of change that kind of explains this Smiley Tongue

cycle_of_change_image.jpg

P.s I am sorry that that post was huge and not at all close to the right format, but i thought it was important to get you all thinking Smiley Tongue

I really like and agree with that @Ben-RO.
For me, it also includes just sitting with and accepting the uncomfortable.
Highlighted

Fantastic thread, @redhead! I find it to be really easy to lose sight of what we're aiming for in recovery. These affirmations are so helpful in indentifying what we might aim towards doing in our personal recoveries!

Recovery is: learning what helps you gain, and maintain, wellness.

Recovery is: finding glimmers of zest for life.

Recovery is: moving from hopelessness to hope.

Recovery is knowing I'm bigger than my past.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Hi @redhead

Recovery to me is doing some introspection to see what the issue is and then reflecting and thinking about how to heal and having faith in myself that I can do it. 

@redhead love this topic!!

Recovery is accepting that I make mistakes and those mistakes don't make me any less worthy of friendship or life or love.

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Recovery is when you see self care not as selfish, but as necessary for survival. 

Recovery is expressing things that hurt instead of hurting yourself.

Recovery is when your existence doesn't constantly revolve around other people. 

Recovery is sitting outside and feeling the rain in the air.