cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relationship advice

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about this girl. We're in a lot of the same classes, and we'd been flirting mostly via facebook for a while. She asked me out and I said yes, but a few days later she said she was in a bad place, and wasn't ready for a relationship, and that she still liked me, but that she wanted to put the relationship on hold. I thought that was reasonable, and agreed with her wishes. I was supposed to go over to her place that saturday to watch movies with her, but on the friday, she said that I couldn't come over because her parents said no. 

I'm not sure if she's telling the truth, or if she doesn't like me any more. I really like her, and if she doesn't like me anymore, I'm happy to just be friends, and not to make any moves on her. I'm just not really sure what to do. I don't have any previous experience with relationships.

Mortimer

Ps. I'm female too, just in case that changes any advice. 

Re: Relationship advice

Hey @Mortimer I think you're being really respectful of the girl you were dating's wishes and that's really awesome. You might be pretty new to relationships, but you're definitely doing great mate!

I guess the tricky bit is communicating that respect of boundaries to the other person. When we're worried and worked up about things that are going on in our lives, it can be hard to see things in a positive light. Seems to me like she might be going through a pretty tough time right now, so maybe she's a bit worried about how you'll react? Is there a way to gently communicate that you're okay with being friends, you won't make any moves and just want to hang out and keep being a friend?

Also I'm wondering how you're feeling about it all? Break-ups can be tough Smiley Sad

P.s cool username!

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Smiley Happy I'll try to follow it as best I can. In response to how I'm feeling over the breakup, I guess I'm a bit sad, but I think that if she is going through a tough time, I would rather that she wasn't feeling pressured by a relationship, because it wouldn't be good for her or for the relationship.

Mortimer

Ps. Thanks for the compliment about my name. It's from the book Mort.

Mort by Terry Pratchett? Good book! I have read every one of his books Smiley Happy

Let us know how you go with it all! It's definitely okay to feel sad after a breakup (to state the obvious). Is there anything you can do to look after yourself a little bit? Like some self-care, or maybe an adventure with a friend?

My name is in fact from the book Mort by Terry Pratchett. I love his books.

I found out today that the girl I like definitely no longer likes me as anything more than a friend. I kinda saw it coming, but I'm a bit sad that I don't have a chance with her anymore. Ah well, such is life. Maybe I'll meet someone better Smiley Happy (woo hoo optimism)

Thanks for the great advice.

Mortimer

Ps. My dog is also called Mort.