cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School, uni and study: Exam and study stress

Hai~♥

This is where we discuss about the stress on studying and all. Smiley Very Happy 

Sorry it's been made a bit later than other people... >~>

Highlighted

Re: School, uni and study: Exam and study stress

Awesome idea NT! Smiley Happy

No need to apologise. You can start new topics whenever. 

We'll also be discussing this tomorrow night on the forums (the old ones) as part of a series of RUOK Day discussions. It's aimed at school students primarily but anyone can join in and share their experiences and ideas. Smiley Happy Here's the link to more info about it if you're interested: http://au.reachout.com/connect/blog/r-u-ok-managing-school-stress 

I remember being stressed about school work - particularly when doing TEE. And I certainly get stressed with uni work now! I cope with it by writing to-do lists and prioritising things so I can just focus on what really needs to be done. And making sure I have some time-out! I try to reward myself for completing assignments - going to see a movie, catching up with friends over coffee, whatever. Just something to reward myself. I also reward myself along the way with small rewards/ breaks - like work for half an hour, have a 10 min break. What other coping strategies do people have?

Re: School, uni and study: Exam and study stressA

@Lightuptheworld wrote:

Awesome idea NT! Smiley Happy

No need to apologise. You can start new topics whenever. 

We'll also be discussing this tomorrow night on the forums (the old ones) as part of a series of RUOK Day discussions. It's aimed at school students primarily but anyone can join in and share their experiences and ideas. Smiley Happy Here's the link to more info about it if you're interested: http://au.reachout.com/connect/blog/r-u-ok-managing-school-stress 

Thank you for telling me/us~! Smiley Very Happy 

And thank you for replying!! Smiley Very Happy

@JustThatGirl wrote:

I remember being stressed about school work - particularly when doing TEE. And I certainly get stressed with uni work now! I cope with it by writing to-do lists and prioritising things so I can just focus on what really needs to be done. And making sure I have some time-out! I try to reward myself for completing assignments - going to see a movie, catching up with friends over coffee, whatever. Just something to reward myself. I also reward myself along the way with small rewards/ breaks - like work for half an hour, have a 10 min break. What other coping strategies do people have?

Wow~! Those are AWESOME ideas!!!! Sometimes we just get stressed out, and when we try to study, we just get distracted - by whatever, for example, the marks on the table...

I agree with you JustThatGirl~!! We really should have a break and of course reward ourselves!! Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for replying! Smiley Happy

NekuS

Eurghhhh exams and school, has to be the worst thing EVER!!!   Smiley Tongue

Last semester I had a week to study for two massive exams and write nearly 3000 words for two essays. Now when I approached it with that attitude I just burst into tears and wanted to give up. But after my overdramatic breakdown that I thought I was allowed to have all things considered Smiley Happy I sat down and wrote a list of what I had to do.

- I started with my revision for my exams and wrote down the lectures I had to review, the ones I had to listen to because I'd missed them, the pracs that were assessed in my exams etc and then set myself a specific amount of time for each. I allowed myself 1 hour for each lecture/prac and then whatever I didn't get to cover, well I just had to go well I've done the best I can but I simply don't have time to do it all.

- Then I had to figure out the essays. For one I wrote down an aim of a certain number of words then for the other I broke it up into paragraphs.

- I prioritised my day time hours for the studying part because I can write/bullshit more easily than study when I'm tired. 

- I then drew a schedule for every hour of the week and fitted all that I had to do into it

I also made sure I allowed plenty of time for SLEEP, exercise and me time. Somehow I managed to stick to my plan and got 82 and 85 for my two subjects, my best marks ever, so something must have worked!!

Breaking it down into little pieces really helped, and also having a list so I could cross off every little thing I did. I also was flexible so if it came to a time where I was meant to be doing one thing but didn't feel up to it I would do swap it with something I was doing another time. I sure went through a lot of whiteout that week!

Sleep is so so so so so important. When I'm angry at my maths homework (often am), I've found more recently it's much easier to give in and go to bed. Maybe revisit it in the morning with a clearer mind. The amount for a good quality sleep varies from person to person. The average amount is 8 hours though I know some people who say they need 11! I know it's a general rule of thumb to not use electronci devices (TV, computer, phone) an hour before bed to settle yourself though personally I've found that difficult. But sleep really is crucial to keeping yourself healthy, especially during exam periods. I wouldn't sleep even at 1am to cram in notes the night (really, morning) before an exam. Memory retention is better when you moderate sleep. I just wanted to point out that sleep is often undermined in the midst of study techniques (making lists, chunking tasks) and I really believe good sleeping habits are fundamental toward reducing stress and maintaining a good mentality.

@awkwardturtle love this advice. My work can be really stressful and I use the same tactic - break it down into weekly/daily time slots or tasks that are realistic. When you say "I simply don't have time to do it all" - this is gold. Because I think we put expectations on ourselves that can be too high, and we have to do what is realistic whilst keeping us in a state of mental wellbeing, right?

The other tip I have... do that one thing that you are putting off. You know the thing! I ask myself.. if I only do one thing today what will make me feel like I accomplished something... it's always "that thing". Whether reading a boring chapter or whatever it might be. In work/productivity books they sometimes talk about "eating your frog" -  the concept is you do the hardest/worst thing and the rest of the work is easier... (not really sure why it's a frog but hey!)

what i try to do is write down a list of 3 things every day to get done - i write it on a post it note and stick it where i can't miss it. that don't have to be big things, they can be parts of larger tasks. it feels so good that you can tick off all those things - in 5 week days that's 15 things done! the sense of accomplishment drives me to be able to do more things because I know I can get them done.

@Jay-Dee wrote:
what i try to do is write down a list of 3 things every day to get done - i write it on a post it note and stick it where i can't miss it. that don't have to be big things, they can be parts of larger tasks. it feels so good that you can tick off all those things - in 5 week days that's 15 things done! the sense of accomplishment drives me to be able to do more things because I know I can get them done.

That sounds like an awesome way to set some goals for the day. I might have to try it because I often look at the whole task rather than the smaller parts of it. Do you then reward yourself at the end of the day once you've accomplished them even if it's just a warm drink and some TV, etc?