cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: School, uni and study: Exam and study stress

The other tip I have... do that one thing that you are putting off. You know the thing! I ask myself.. if I only do one thing today what will make me feel like I accomplished something... it's always "that thing". Whether reading a boring chapter or whatever it might be. In work/productivity books they sometimes talk about "eating your frog" -  the concept is you do the hardest/worst thing and the rest of the work is easier... (not really sure why it's a frog but hey!)

Since reading this it's really stuck in my mind. I love this in regard to general life as well. Smiley Happy

@Birdeye wrote:

The other tip I have... do that one thing that you are putting off. You know the thing! I ask myself.. if I only do one thing today what will make me feel like I accomplished something... it's always "that thing". Whether reading a boring chapter or whatever it might be. In work/productivity books they sometimes talk about "eating your frog" -  the concept is you do the hardest/worst thing and the rest of the work is easier... (not really sure why it's a frog but hey!)

I need to eat my FROG tonight!!!  It's making me quite agitated.

I have anxiety that tends be exacerbated around periods of high pressure and stress. From my own experiences, these are my tips for dealing with exam and study stress:

1. It is not the end of the world – There is life beyond school and university (even if you don’t do well). One grade will not determine your future, whether it is an HSC exam, a university test or an important assignment. 

2. Nobody is perfect – Perfectionism can drive good results, but it can also prevent productive work. Try not to put too much too much pressure on yourself, because this is only likely to add extra stress to your preparation. You need to be able to deal with your own expectations realistically and remember that you can only do your best. Ultimately, if you have put in the right effort, then you can be proud of your achievements (whatever the result).

I hope that you find these tips helpful!

@AnxietyAllies wrote:

It is not the end of the world – There is life beyond school and university (even if you don’t do well). One grade will not determine your future, whether it is an HSC exam, a university test or an important assignment. 

So true!! If I hadn't learnt that, I seriously would've dropped out of Yr 12- the pressure of study + assessments, combined with life, was horrible! I'm nearly there now! WOO HOO!! Smiley Happy

Hi LUtW,

Ever so slightly delayed response Smiley Wink
Yes I do reward myself - but since they're little tasks, i give myself little rewards. For example once I finish the first task I might take a break and spend a few minutes on Facebook. Or go for a quick walk outside in the sun. The sorts of things that will recharge me a bit and make me feel better, but will also help me to do more, rather than distracting me and making me procrastinate more Smiley Wink

Let me know how you go trying this tactic!

JD.