cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing a new gp

I have had to get a new gp. 

Today I spent a while calling surgeries if that had Dr's taking new patients that bulk-billed. i eventually found one. I see them tomorrow. 

Though I'm really scared. I don't know how they will react to my health issues, my mental health, my eating disorder and most of all the fact I'm trans. 

Has anyone had experiences seeing new GPs and disclosure and their reactions to different things. 

Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach the appointment. 

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Re: Seeing a new gp

Hi @redhead it's okay to feel a bit scared seeing a new GP for the first time. I'm someone that's really private but I know that the more transparent, honest and upfront I am to my GP the better they will be able to assist me. If for any reason they can't assist me then they would provide a referral to someone who can. A doctor should always act in a professional and respectful manner. Let us know how you go tomorrow Heart

Hey @redhead, I can understand why you feel scared to see a new GP, what with everything you have to disclose initially.  It might take you a while to get through all of it, and in my experience doctors can become annoyed by a lot of backstory in their tiny little appointment times ;-)  Remember though, that it is actually their job to help you, and it is your *right* to be treated with respect.  They aren't allowed to discriminate on the basis of the medical issues you present with, and they definitely aren't allowed to discriminate on the basis of your trans status.  In saying that, you just might not *click* with them for some reason and if that's the case, then off you go again to find a different GP. 

Good luck today!

@redhead I agree with what @Lola-RO has said! You have the right to be treated with respect.

How did your appointment go?

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Lan-RO @Lola-RO @Bee I was super nervous but the appointment went ok. I think I'll stick with him.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

That is good news @redhead Smiley Happy I'm glad the appointment went well

(Email reply)

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

That's great, @redhead Smiley Happy

hey @redhead im glad today went well. i hope you have more success with this one. 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**