cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Self-Help Books

Hi everyone :-)

I thought it would be good for people to discuss any self help books they have read and whether they were helpful or not. I haven't really read any myself, but I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Happy sharing!

Highlighted

Re: Self-Help Books

@JanaG Ooh, I'll have to keep an eye on this thread because I'm looking for this type of book for my sister! I haven't read it myself, but I've heard very good things about How To Be You by Jeffrey Marsh - it seems like a pretty inclusive, interactive self help book about self discovery, by a really awesome genderqueer activist! http://www.jeffreymarsh.com/howtobeyou/

@DruidChild I had a look and it seems like a great book. Tell us what it's like if you do end up getting it for your sister. :-)

Highlighted

Never read any but would love to hear from others who have!

------

To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world. x
Highlighted

I don't really like reading long self-help books, but I tried Demi Lovato's Staying Strong and I think it's pretty good!

It's one of those ones where you read a page everyday, so it's easy and quick. Every day she will have a quote, then a little reflection on that quote that can help to inspire you.
-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Highlighted

@Chloee I loved Staying Strong! I still take it out and flip to the current day if I need a boost!

As for other self-help books, not sure how much this counts, but I really enjoyed The Happiness Project. I could really relate to all the little changes Gretchen Ruben made in her life, and how all those small things added up to increase her overall happiness. 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @letitgo and @Chloee :-) 

Highlighted

Hi @JanaG!
I was just on Book Depository today looking at books and there was one that caught my eye! It was written by the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu called 'The Book of Joy'! 
I feel like the Dalai Lama is such a joyful individual and I would love to learn to be more like that Smiley Very Happy
I love self-help books! I feel as though they help to increase self-awareness. 

Highlighted

Hi @missep :-)

So I take it you've read some good self help books before?

Highlighted

Hi @JanaG!
I've read a few here and there Smiley Very Happy
I like ones about happiness, it's a topic that really interests me! 

One of my favourites is 'The Happiness Project', it helps to move things around in your life and try new techniques for optimum happiness Smiley Very Happy