cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Self-Help Books

Thanks @missep for our first personal recommendation! Smiley Very Happy This is now on my reading list.

Highlighted

@JanaG!
yay! 

I'll post some more when I remember the names of them! Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

I'm in the middle of reading 'The Happiness Trap' - Russ Harris

I happen to be quite enjoying it. I would reccommend it to anyone looking to become a psychologist since it is written by the guy who pretty much invented Acceptance Commitment Therapy. A therapy I've come to learn that not many psychologists are savy at.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

Thanks @stonepixie that sounds great! :-D 

Highlighted

@missep I looooove The Happiness Project!!

Not really a self-help book but I also love If You Feel Too Much by Jamie Tworkowski. It's a series of short pieces about situations in his life and how he approaches them with different perspectives. One that has stuck with me is called "What I Feel Vs What I Know" and it's about looking at things objectively rather than trusting how our minds might interpret them.

e.g. What I feel is alone, what I know is that I have friends and family who love me.

It's a technique that I use when I need to shift my perspective and I find it really helps!  

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

Thanks for the recommendation @letitgo! Smiley Very Happy 

Highlighted

A book that changed my life:

"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff" - by Richard Carlson. 

Really easy read and hugely important lesson!

Heart

Highlighted

Thanks @ms_xt :-)

I can't believe I forgot this, but years ago I read 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, and then I went on to read the adult version. The book for teens was a much easier read. Even if you're a little older than a teen, I would still recommend it. It was really inspiring. The basic theory is that you should act in accordance with our principals/values to be more effective. This book really helped me work hard in high school and get where I wanted to be.

Highlighted

I think I've heard of the "7 Habits..." books @JanaG. Might have to give them a go!

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

Please let us know what you think if you do, @letitgo :-)