cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing careers / courses experience with others!

Hi guys!

I thought it'd be nice if there was a space where people who all doing different careers or uni courses could share their experiences to those who were interested in those areas but don't necessarily know anyone doing those courses themselves! Or if you're looking to talk to someone who's studying a certain area someone else might be able to link you up to someone you can talk to in the community Smiley Happy

For instance, I'm studying psychology at post-graduate level at the moment. I know that there are a lot of psychology courses out there and it's a very broad field so it can be a daunting deciding which area you want to go into or are really passionate about! If anyone wants to know a bit more about studying psychology at uni I'd be happy to share my experiences Smiley Happy

Some questions that you could ask about different careers/courses might be...

1. What's the best thing about this career/course?
  2. What's the hardest thing about this career/course?
  3. What do you wish you had known before you started this career/course?

Re: Sharing careers / courses experience with others!

@RandomName! I know you were talking to me about this and how to become a community manager just last night!

So here is my answer for my job/career

What's the best thing about this career/course?

I love talking and hanging out with people and just think it's amazing to watch people grow and build new skills over time. I get to do that every single day and it makes me very happy. Managing a community also is a really varied job. I teach, i talk, do nerdy analytics, talk to developers about new features, and do research (getting published for the first time sooon). And that's all in one day.

What's the hardest thing about this career/course?

The health, mental health and community sectors are all under a lot of strain and we're not using the money we have effectively to give support to people where they need it. Things are much better than when i started but we still have a long way to go. RO is one of those organisations that are heading in the right direction and we have a bunch of research to support what we're doing. Sometimes i just want it all to change now and get impatient/frustrated.

What do you wish you had known before you started this career/course?

I don't really know! Perhaps just that this was a job that i'd love doing a lot and perhaps to start earlier. I saw an add to be Ben-RO go up for advertisement about 4 years ago now and decided not to apply, kind of wish i had have now Smiley Tongue

@j95 i know you've got some big goals for landscaping and one day running a business. Want to talk a bit about it?

I so need this thread right now as I'm deciding what to do with my future, what career I want and whether I want to go to uni. 

I'll answer the questions in regarding to my current job: artist/volunteer facilitator

What's the best thing about this career/course?

I love art with a passion and believe that everyone is capable of creating something beautiful no matter if they believe they can't. Art is about expressing yourself and showing something that matters to you and creating something worthwhil @As a part of my job I support people to discover themselves through art. The people I work with have various disabilities, but that doesn't stop them and is embraced and expressed through various mediums and art. It's about empowering them to live to their fullest potential, we are there to encourage and assist the artists. I really love how great they feel when they create something and find meaning through art. 

What's the hardest thing about this career/course?

When people tell someone that their art sucks/ they aren't artistic or other things along those lines. Everyone is able to create art, express themselves, or do something beautiful. Who is anyone to tell someone that they suck and that their art is no good or they don't matter. I love how at my job we embrace everyone's talent, I'm learning this more and more as I go. 

What do you wish you had known before you started this career/course

I am learning how to engage with people with disabilities, before I started I was hesitant and awkward mainly because I didn't know how to respond or react. I also wish I knew about this earlier like @Ben-RO said in his job. 

This job has really inspired me and I'm thinking about my future in a way I never have before. I can contribute and matter to something and I have learnt so much aboi myself studying community services this year than getting involved with where I did my work placement. Its opened me up to so many things. For the first time in my life I'm actually excited about my future Smiley Happy 

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Thanks for the tag @Ben-RO

I am an apprentice working in landscaping and construction, I'm currently in my second year and hope to move into my third year in April, it's a 4 year course but should take me about 4.5 years after some set backs. I am studying my Cert 3 in Landscaping and Construction at TAFE once a week as part of my apprenticeship.

I really enjoying getting to work outdoors every single day and then at TAFE we do a lot of practical hands on work. A big goal for me is to finish my apprenticeship and then own my business, I have a lot of ideas about the stuff I'd like to do with the business and types of jobs I'd really like to complete, obviously alongside the usual landscaping stuff.
Here are some of my ideas...

- Sensory and therapeutic gardens for those who especially need an outdoor space to relax
- Teaching and mentoring children, young people and families in basic garden care as I feel getting outdoors and the accomplishment and pride when seeing your garden come alive can really help with mental health issues and general wellbeing.
- Sort of leading on from the previous, educating children, young people and families on planting and growing fresh food.

What's the best thing about this career/course?
The best thing is getting to step back at the end of a job and seeing the work I have done, seeing the result knowing I did that, like woah my hard work has really paid off. When you see people really enjoying the space we've created from them it makes me really happy. Occasionally we get photos sent in or posts on our Facebook about how much people enjoying their new or rejuvenated space, like pictures of people having a BBQ on their new decks and stuff. Also some really fun stuff I have gotten to do includes things like, jumping into 5ft deep holes of mud, hanging out with cool dogs on job sites, getting free food from old people, getting wheeled around in a wheel barrow by the 1st year apprentice. I also like that it's a mix of different trades, like its planting stuff and all that but it's also building structures using lots of different materials.

What's the hardest thing about this career/course?
Probably when we aren't given a plan but instead we're given a rough idea of what the person would like to see and then they don't like it. It's so disappointing when you've put a lot of work in and the client disapproves or is just not a very nice person in general. It can also suck a bit during winter because 1. It's freezing and 2. It usually rains way too much for us to work.
But the cold thing isn't usually too bad because I have battery operated heated jacket that works amazingly.

What do you wish you had known before you started this career/course?
Probably that it is there. I left school to do an electrical apprenticeship which I found really really really hard and much more mathematical than I expected. I loved it but I also sort of hated it. I wish I had of started this apprenticeship when I left school at 16 so I'd be qualified by now, but it's all a learning experience and I'm sure that couple of years in electrical benefited me, and maybe if I had left school at 16 to do landscaping I may not of gotten through it for different reasons.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Awesome thread idea, @Nessa17Man Wink

I'm studying a Bachelor of Nursing! I have a bit of a messy educational background... I was doing super well at school until some pretty devastating things happened in my family life... I spent year 12 in hospital, and so I didn't complete year 12. It took me a few years to get back onto my feet, and I attained a year 12 equivalent qualification last year. In semester 1 of this year, I began a science degree but woke up every day with dread and went to bed wishing I were dead so I wouldn't have to drag myself through class the next day. So I made the decision to withdraw and pursue a nursing degree instead! I'm really hoping to study post graduate medicine in a few years' time.

I love that nursing studies are so practical! And I'm looking forward to the clinical placements... I really like to learn hands-on!

The hardest thing is probably not to do with the course itself, but the pressure I put on myself to be high achieving in hopes of being competitive when it comes to applying to medical schools. The other really tough thing is when I feel a little hopeless/silly for studying in a field that I don't want to be in forever... I keep reminding myself that this is a substantial stepping stone, and that it's totally valuable and worthwhile for the fact that living Nursing will make me a better Doctor.

I wish I'd known that it wouldn't be as exhausting as I was afraid it would be!

Thanks @peppermintpeonySmiley Happy

Reading through everyone's replies about their careers/courses is really interesting and it's great to hear about these different areas which I would have otherwise not had a chance to hear about!

I just realised I forgot to write my own answers to the questions earlier haha. I'm currently doing Masters of Educational Psychology which mainly involves working in schools and with students from Prep right up to Year 12, but I really love all areas of psychology to be honest!

Being able to work with kids and with other amazing and hard-working people/professionals in a team to make a difference in these students' lives. Every kid is different from the next and there's so much to learn, and the fact that you can never stop learning is really exciting to me!

Because psychology is all about dealing with people, there are a lot of difficult subjects and topics that come up and that you experience. It can be difficult to deal with them and not let yourself get overwhelmed by them, so it's important to remember to take care of yourself and know your limits, and know that there are always other people to help and support you and you're never alone.

I think it's really important to realise that psychology is really demanding on your self personally! In a book I had to read for uni there was this line, "You can't take others further than you're willing to take yourself," and I've never forgotten it. If you want to help others as best as you can, you also need to look after yourself!

This is such an awesome idea! Smiley Happy

Like @peppermintpeony I studied nursing at uni, and now I'm a fully fledged nurse!

(tbh the idea that I'm actually qualified is still quite new to me!)

I kind of got into nursing in a very roundabout way - my first degree was in psychology and while I absolute loved it I also felt like I wasn't being challenged enough. I loved the idea of blood and guts and thought I wanted to be a paramedic - started paramedics and then felt the pressure in regards to the limited job availability and then sort of drifted into nursing. Luckily, I love it, and every day is a wonderful new experience. At the moment I spend half my time in aged care working with dementia patients, and then half working in a child and youth forensic facility. I totally have moments where I forget where I am and start referring to my young patients as 'old dears' but they pretty soon put me in my place Smiley Very Happy I'm also still studying because I have a brain that refuses to accept the idea that I'm not learning, so I'm doing some postgraduate study in mental health.

Anyway, to answer the questions;

Um. Everything. I get to work with amazing people (my colleagues) who are so so skilled and wonderful at what they do, and genuinely care for people. I get to talk to people all day (some days I get paid just to talk - how amazing is that?) and then I also get to do some really cool stuff involving blood, needles and all kinds of fancy things. Nursing is a perfect mix (for me) of clinical knowledge (so recognising and understanding the body and what can go wrong, and then fixing it!) and talking to people. I also get to work with an absolutely phenomenal multidisciplinary team - doctors, physios, psychologists (because I'm no longer registered as a psychologist, I leave all the psych stuff up to them these days!), dietitians and even dentists. I am never ever bored, that's for sure.

We can't save everyone. People die unfortunately, and I really really struggle with this. I love all of my patients/clients and I take it very hard when someone leaves us (even when I know I have done all I can for them!). I think if this part of the job ever became easy I would know it's time to leave. I also don't like shift work but alas, people can't switch off their ill health because it's time for me to go home.

I wish I had known this was the job for me when I left high school. Though I do believe everything happens for a reason so who knows, I was probably meant to do everything else beforehand. I also wish I had known that every single nurse deals with poop, pee, vomit etc. at one point or another - it's unavoidable.

------------------------------------------------------------------

this too shall pass... (i promise).

I'm an engineer, employed by a company that provides engineering support for vehicles. I didn't get into my first choice for what I wanted to study at uni, which was space engeering (because we were learning about space and rockets in year 11 physics which sounded really cool), but that doesn't have many job prospects in Aus anyway Smiley Tongue

The people and teamwork. Or the cool tech stuff. Or the feeling you get when something you issue to the customer works well for them and makes it easier for them to do what they need to do, particularly if you get to see the system in-action.

In the industry I'm in, there's this huge balance between contractual agreements, delivering what the customer wants, and meeting regulations. The interaction of those things can lead to really big delays on larger projects. It's been a difficult thing for me to come to terms with because it's like "ok I want to work on the cool project now, what do you mean we aren't contracted to do it/aren't allowed to have the technical data to do it/can't get stakeholder agreement on how to move forward and actually get this system out into the world?!"

That the real-life career doesn't have to be as tough as uni was. Uni was seriously intense - tough programming assignments where if one part of your code is wrong you're completely screwed and you spend more time troubleshooting the thing just to get SOMETHING to work than writing up the answers to the questions at the end, and no matter how early in advance you start and how much effort you put in you'll probably only have that breakthrough on the night before it's due, doing super long calculations 5 times and getting 5 different answers and hoping you can match answers with someone else to figure out which solution might be right, very little time to step back and actually appreciate the coolness of what you're studying... I wish I'd known that there are jobs that aren't like that and don't have that much pressure to have the smartest technical brain in the entire world just to answer one question. Maybe I'd have been able to chill a bit more and appreciate the course and make more of the uni opportunities if I'd realised that that is not realistic or true of the real world.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

Hello, @ell92 ! I too was drawn to paramedicine but decided against it because of the employment scene! I love to hear you speak so enthusiastically about nursing! Helps make me feel more optimistic. Man Very Happy I bet you are a wonderful asset to your colleagues and patients. Cat Very Happy