cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So today I went for my first driving lesson in a manual car...

Wow! What an experience it was too. I went for a driving lesson with my best friend's dad and it was my first driving lesson in a manual car. I have prior driving experience, but in an automatic. Today was the very first time I ever drove in a manual - and it was certainly very challenging! It is going to be a huge learning curve for me I have no doubt! Now, I probably don't even need to tell you this - some of you may have already guessed it, but did I stall the car OF COURSE I DID! Haha! I am positive at least 90% of people stall the car on their first time driving a manual, so it's not a bad thing at all! There are things though that I am going to need to practice a hell of a lot! One of them is gear changing, getting used to the clutch, 3-point turns, reversing, and probably many others. One thing that happened though was something quite major. I nearly drove into an embankment and that scared the crap out of me. My heart was racing incredibly fast. My friend's dad yelled BREAAAAAKKKKKK! It was honestly the worst thing ever!  

Overall today, I am proud of what I have achieved - it's not a great deal but I am heading in the right direction - and I KNOW I will become a master at one day! 

Any words of advice? Tips? Feel free to share your experience if you have had experience driving a manual car. 

Re: So today I went for my first driving lesson in a manual car...

Wow, well done for getting through your first driving lesson @Super_Me (even if it was pretty scary!) that's amazing!! Smiley Happy

Thanks a lot - yeah, I just hope we don't have any near misses again!

@Super_Me Woohoo! Go you! Driving manual is awesome! I learned to drive manual, and got my Ps a couple of months ago. It was certainly frustrating at first... I was terrified of stopping at red lights because that meant having to get the car going again, and I often stalled (And was honked at). It was particularly frustrating to recognise that the vast majority of the driving challenges I was experiencing were exclusive to manual driving... I'd think about how much easier it would all be if I were learning automatic!

But as I got more and more used to it, it became really enjoyable. I've driven automatic once, and whilst it's easier, it honestly isn't as much fun. I'm not sure if I have any tips, but I would like to reassure you - you'll get the hang of it, and soon you'll be looking back on the early struggle with laughter.

@Super_Me Learning to drive is tough and even tougher in a manual. I've had my P's for a few years and I drive a manual. Myself and some other users had a pretty hilarious conversation one day over on the the Twittro thread about all our driving lols, you definitely aren't alone. Its hard but one day you'll be eating cereal and driving at the same time like me!!! (Just kidding!! Don't ever do that, I don't condone dangerous driving activity) Do you have to go back to the VicRoads (or equivalent in your state) and do a retest to get your manual P plate licence? I failed my licence by mounting the kerb as I was leaving VicRoads!! It comes down to your nerves, I was and am a fine driver but I was so all over the place the day I first attempted it. If you have done it once at least you know what its all about and you understand the road rules and all that stuff
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Well done @Super_Me! I reckon the number of people who stall a manual when they're learning is closer to 100% Smiley Happy

I just learned to drive a scooter and actually did drive into an embankment! Luckily the only thing I hurt was my pride haha.

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that! I know the feeling - I was frantic  because as I was heading for the embankment I couldn't find the break, so I panicked even more. It was the absolute worst thing ever!

@Super_Me it can be scary, but the thing that beats it the most is practise. One time I almost sped off the road in a corner because I was accidently pressing the accelerator instead of the brake.
My driving instructor has stalled once too, which made me feel so much better Smiley Tongue

@Super_Me well done for getting started!

I learnt on a manual car because my mum thought it was really important to learn it. Took me AGES though! I am not a natural driver. 

With time and practice though you'll get there - like i did! The coolest part about driving manual IMO is that you feel really cool when you can just sense through the car's vibrations when it's time to shift gears and how to shift them smoothly.

My tip would be when in doubt these guidelines can be alright to follow. 1st gear for just getting the car from stationary to moving. 2nd gear is slow (up to 29km/hour), 3rd year is the 30s km/hour, 4th is your 40s per hour, 5th is the 50 km's per hour and 6th is everything above that. 

Hills in 2nd or 3rd depending on speed and incline.

I sound like such a nerd but it feels super cool to be able to drive manual. Just keep practicing Smiley Happy

Thanks so much for that advice! It was really helpful and it makes a lot of sense.

And I know what you mean when you talk about the sense of control. I am certainly not at that point where I have mastered the car to that extent - but I can see what you mean.