cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Social Isolation

Hi @Bento, well done on taking a step back before posting. That is not an easy thing to do, so we are all super proud of you Heart That being said, how are you feeling now?

It is so sweet that you share things that have been helpful for you. I am sure the community really appreciates it and finds it beneficial. The zine idea also sounds wonderful and like it is a big passion of yours. I have faith it will be just as amazing and interesting to others too Smiley Happy Just so you know, I removed the location you included in your post as it could make you identifiable and impact your safety.

In regards to other people being bitter or negative, unfortunately it is not something we can control. It can be hard to feel positive when others are cynical or resentful and it can really suck and get us down. That is their experience and journey and there may be a reason why they are thinking, feeling and behaving that way. It doesn't mean that it has to be apart of our story too though. I have posted a picture about external and internal control below.. which I find really helpful and think everyone could use reminding of sometimes. When looking at this diagram and thinking about the situation you are referring to, are there things that you can see are within your control?

images.jpg

Highlighted

I’m still not feeling very well. I have a very defeatist attitude about next year, because after everything that’s gone horribly wrong this year I fail to see how things can get better when time and time again good things happen to bad people and vice versa, and I’ve been lead to believe that most people are bad. It doesn’t matter how many good people I come across, I fear that we’re ultimately powerless in the end.

Hi @Bento 

I am just catching up on posts, I wanted to check in and see how you were feeling today?

It can be really hard to think things will get better when you have had a rough year, but I think it is really important that you take sometime to reflect on how positive and hard working you have been even though things have been so tough.

You share such great resources that help so many people including the RO team! You continue to look into ways to connect and find joy, I especially was excited to hear about you looking at art courses next year. I think the diagram that @Taylor-RO shared really helpful, and by the sounds of it you are already looking at different things you can do, which is a big step. 

Thank you! I feel a bit better right now, it’s just that when I try to suppress my negative emotions, it’s inevitable that it’ll erupt like a volcano when something bad happens... or when it doesn’t happen, but I’m afraid it will.

I’m glad if I’ve been able to help other people out as well. This December’s been mentally hard for me because there’s so much uncertainty about what next year will bring. Is that common? I would make New Years resolutions, but I feel like I’d be just one of many people to fail them because it’s so easy to. Maybe I can still make some goals though, and I have begun some the past few months like drawing more to build an art portfolio.

Hey @Bento 

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. I think what you're describing around the uncertainty about what the year ahead will bring is really common. I know I spend a lot of time during the end of year, reflecting on the challenges I've faced, what I did good and what I'd like to do better. All of that thinking can definitely get you a little anxious about the year ahead. 

I think new years resolutions are pretty much the same as goals. It takes time to make plans, figure out how to execute them and get the support you need to do that. I think creating some achievable goals (and some steps on how to achieve them) is totally possible! 

Tell me more about your art portfolio, what do you hope to do with it? Heart 

To start off with I was gonna make a zine of my art I’ve done to sell at the event, but my main goal is to sell my art at an anime convention. Sadly many of the big ones are too expensive for me to get a stall at (I could technically afford it, but it would set me back too much as I doubt I could break even) but there is one that might be more affordable for me, so I’ll see how I go throughout the year.

Also I’ve been thinking, I have a favourite artist who I’ve bought art from at conventions and asked questions regarding selling art on Instagram that she’s responded to, and she seems like just the type of person I would like to be friends with irl (in real life). I was wondering if I should message her asking if we can hang out one time, assuming she lives in the same state (I have to double check). I want to make connections with other artists in the industry, but also just have someone to talk to about anime and games and other stuff, and it’s very hard to find someone perfect for me so maybe this is the way to go? Let me know if you think that’s a good idea.

I think that's a great idea @Bento! It's so good that you have such a cool goal that you're working towards Smiley Happy I know a lot of people who have built up a following and reputation by starting small at little conventions, zine stores and art swaps, and gradually working up to the point where they are living off their art! 

In my experience, art communities often have some of the most accepting, kind, and friendly people, and I am sure if you asked your favourite artist if they have time for a coffee, they might be pretty receptive to it! I also really recommend getting in contact with different general art communities and making friends and contacts there as well Smiley Very Happy The Sticky Institute in Melbourne often holds small zine debut events, which the public is free to go to. If you're feeling a little anxious if you're going alone, you can always message the event organisers and explain your situation. They're usually happy to help!

Okay, only problem is, I don’t know what to say to her. Can you help give me some suggestions on what I should say, and assuming she lives in the same city what we could do together? We can meet at a place where we can talk, kind of like a blind date with someone I’ve met on a dating site, haha. I will feel nervous talking to her myself so should I have my sister come with me?

Hey @Bento 

I find a great way to get to know new people is at events or in groups. That way it takes the pressure off talking to each other the whole time. Maybe find an event that you'd both be interested in, send it and say something like "I'm thinking of going to this and thought it might be something you'd be interested in as well. I've also been wanting to connect with other artists and really admire your work. Would you be into hanging out sometime?". 

Do you think you'd feel comfortable saying that? 

Maybe. I think she lives in Sydney, but I can ask when she’ll be in Melbourne next. I drew a picture for her that I wanted to give her in person.