cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Social groups

A pondering just came to me, that I really can't seem to find an answer for...

Why is it, that, say you have a group of 6 people. 5 of them are males, and one of them is a female. Just friends who like to hang out. This might be a location thing, but that's quite common in my area. What is not common is, say 5 females and 1 male. Why is that? I've never seen a group like that, to be honest.

Again, this just may be a location thing.

Any answers though?

Highlighted

Re: Social groups

I know what you mean mate, I don't see it often but it's not unheard of. It has happened to me a few times and sometimes it's not the greatest experience being totally surrounded by females because it generally ends up we do everything a girl would want to do.

Sometimes girls like to hang out with a lot of guys because it allows them to escape everything girlish. escape the bitchiness and do something fun (generally stupid) with the guys.

Just for the record, I am a 17 year old male Smiley Happy.
Highlighted

In my experience it's always been the other way around. I can only think of two groups where it's been all boys with one or two girls, one of which was in primary school and the other was only a class relevant social group.
Every social group I've been in has been either all girls or mostly girls.

I think it's just a gender and location thing, as I'm a girl I gravitate towards girls more and notice girls more.
Highlighted

Hey mate,

I have to agree with Birdeye, my groups are usually female dominated with one male or two. Although when I was in highschool I used to hang out with the boys and be the only girl. I did that because I enjoyed the kind of things they played, like basketball, or I enjoyed the conversations that my male friends were having.

I don't think there is a straight answer to the question. Perhaps you could ask the male/female ones to find out why they do it?

You could also think about popping into a new group of friends to learn something new too!

Let us know what your findings are won't you!

Highlighted

Hey there The Creep 7,

Interesting question! Social dynamics are intriguing. As others have suggested, we generally associate with people we have shared interests with and this is likely to explain why people of the same gender may group together. As for the sole guy or girl – I would put this down to normal social differences, maybe they share more interests with people of the opposite sex?