cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sometimes I feel ashamed to be Australian.

In recent years I’ve found it really hard to be proud of being an Australian because right now, it feels like the country is being torn apart. It seems like Australia is currently one of the biggest contributors to climate change in the planet, bringing down other countries that are lots more eco-friendly. I’m scared that Australia will be responsible for the ultimate demise of the planet, or that we’ll end up starting a war with the rest of the world over our resources. I’ve been on Twitter and into the city and seen first hand the negative, toxic attitude Australians have about the government. All this fighting over politics is tearing us apart; I really get the feeling that we all hate each other, which completely justifies my social anxiety; I’m too afraid to face society most days because a lot of the time people just bring me down. I miss the days when I could be happy about being Australian, when it didn’t feel like a badge of shame. But those days are long gone, and I find it really hard to be positive about the present and future when lots of people are so cynical.

Re: Sometimes I feel ashamed to be Australian.

Hi @Bento, welcome to ReachOut and thanks for sharing that. I can see how all of this might be making you feel uneasy. Politics often causes divide among people.. but there is more to life and people than politics. Personally, I try not to talk about politics unless I know them well because I find it is a sensitive topic for a lot of people.. Your post made me really intrigued so I thought I would look up some statistics.. I don't know whether these are gold standard.. but they suggest that Australia is not one of the worst countries for climate change. There is this one from Union of Concerned Scientists and Wikipedia. What do you think of them? That isn't to say it is not of concern because we can all do our little part. Many hands make light work. We have also had some other users with similar worries here. Please feel free to join in on the conversation. Heart

Thanks man. And it’s not like I always feel like this. In many ways I’m glad to be Australian, there’s so much in my life I have to be thankful for and I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s just that it’s easy to get overwhelmed by bad news, and you know what they say; when it rains, it pours. There have been times when it just feels like I’m being pelted by bad things happening around me and it just becomes too much to deal with. I’m trying to do little things to help the planet myself, and I’m trying to write a fictional story as a means of self-expression. For me creativity is a big contributor to my happiness, and sometimes it does help fight off my worries. It can just be hard for me to get motivated to do creative things at times, especially lately.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hey @Bento, that is great to hear that you don't feel like this all the time. Like you said though, it is still having an impact on you and still sucks. What are some things that you like about being Australian? It is amazing that you are so creative - it sounds like a form of self-care for you. Is there anything else that fights off your worries? Have you had this conversation with anyone else in your life? Sometimes it is great to get that personal support, if others share the same views as you. Is there anything that helps you to foster your creativity? Smiley Happy

Hey @Bento, I hope you don't mind me jumping into the conversation Smiley Happy

I also have concerns about the climate and Australia's impact on it. I try to do my part in as many ways as I can, such as not using plastic bags at the supermarket, using a bamboo toothbrush instead of a plastic one and using a keep cup instead of a disposable coffee cup. Do you reckon things like that might help you?

I also wanted to say that I'm glad to hear that you're writing a fictional story to express all this. I know that writing is something that helps me, and I hope it can continue to be a positive form of self-expression for you Smiley Happy 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Yeah, I have a Keep cup, and I try to report littering in the streets when I see it. I’d like to join some clean up events to help out more. I haven’t taken part in any school climate strikes but it is good to know I’m not alone. Also I’ve got a T-shirt from AIME, which is an organization to support aboriginal people, and I’d like to help support them more. Last month my Dad had a house warming and we had someone with aboriginal heritage (or something like that) do some kind of smoke ceremony to cleanse evil spirits I think? I forgot the exact terms but he shared a lot of aboriginal stuff with us and it was really cool.

Sent from my iPod

Sorry I took a while to reply. I live in Melbourne (pretty close to it anyway; I live in the South Melbourne region I think) and I think my favourite part of living here is all the creative stuff. I enjoy visiting art exhibitions and seeing independent films, and I’m also into our music and independent video game industries; I don’t know if you’ve heard of AIE, but I’ve just started studying there part time to learn how to develop games. My goal is to make my own game, but in the meantime I’d like to support local indie games as much as I can. And music can really help me too for many reasons, but perhaps the most significant reason is that sometimes lyrics speak to me on a personal level when they sing about things like anxiety or frustration, or on the other end of the spectrum songs can convey positive and uplifting messages that can help make me feel more optimistic. Does music do that for you too? And what do you mean by “fostering” my creativity?

Sent from my iPod