cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Special Discussion: Healthy Friendships

Such a great topic and increasingly more important for our generation as more friendships are made/drifting through social media!

Share a funny/happy memory you have with a good friend 

I have a really good friend in particular who I always end up matching outfits with coincidentally every time we see each other!

What do you think helps to expand your friendship circle? 

I agree with everything that everyone has said before in terms of finding friends with common interests, but I think what is more important is finding someone who supports you know matter what. It shouldn't be about having to like the same stuff as each other, but more about accepting that everyone is different and being kind, respectful and open to getting to know them regardless. I personally find that it's a great way to actually get to know yourself more as well, and you can also pick up interests that you never even knew you had!

How do you cope with changing friendships?

Friendships will always come and go and the amount of quality time you spend with a particular friend can change all the time. I think social media is such a great advantage that we have to stay connected to the people we value no matter how busy our lives get and no matter where we go. It's okay if you go from talking everyday to once every couple of months, I think everyone sees that as pretty normal as our life demands change, and as long as you can remain courteous and kind to your friends no matter how the friendship is changing I think that is all that matters.

Highlighted

Re: Special Discussion: Healthy Relationships

Share a funny/happy memory you have with a good friend 

My recent funny/happy memory with a friend would be with one of my amazing girlfriends, and we actually happen to be housemates!! We were sitting outside in the sun doing some art together, listening to music and singing and be really silly. We took lots of funny selfies with my polaroid camera to capture the fun afternoon we spent together.

Meeting my partner has drastically expanded my friendship group/circle. I've made many more close friendships since being with him which I'm so grateful for.  This, however, is such a challenging thing to do, and I wonder whether I'd have the friendships that I do now, if it wasn't for meeting my partner. 

When I was living alone and not in a relationship, I found this very hard to "expand my circle of friends". Going to the gym classes or yoga was a good way to meet people, just had to muster up the confidence to start small talk with people. 

Change for anyone is a difficult and challenging time. I think it is important to practice self-care during these times, I like to be really open and communicate how I feel to my family, or close friends (whom the friendship isnt changing with). 

Also talking to my counselor about these situations helps a lot, release some built-up emotions, or explore difficult situations. I believe difficult times are always times where lots of self-growth and expansion happens

Re: Special Discussion: Healthy Friendships

Awesome topic for discussion! Having healthy friendships is without a doubt an important part of maintaining our well-being! Smiley Very Happy Another aspect of healthy friendships for me would be that friendships involve helping each other without expecting anything in return!

Share a funny/happy memory you have with a good friend!
I went on a trip to japan with a couple of friends and sprained my foot when I went for a morning jog. One of my friends was especially kind and bought me cooling spray for my sprained foot, going through a lot of hand gestures and foot pointing when they weren't able to communicate with the clerk. That was a nice memory since I didn't expect them to buy such things for me. Smiley Very Happy

I think joining groups/communities both physically and online can help us expand our friendship circles! Groups/communities where we share common goals, interests, or ideas can certainly help us build more long-lasting friendships.

For me, after moving around different countries several times in my life, friendship changes always occur, whether it be by moving away, growing up, or being very busy. For me, coping with these changes in friendships involves accepting that notion that they do change at times for better or worse. I think that recognising this helps with moving on and finding new friendships to build rather than dwelling on previous ones.