cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Starting Year 12

So I start year 12 tomorrow. I'm pretty excited about my subjects and seeing my friends again and resuming an active role in the school community, but I'm also a little bit nervous (not least because I have a pile of homework the size of Tasmania that I haven't yet finished.......)

I know a lot of you have finished school, and was wondering if you had any advice for this years year twelves Smiley Happy

Re: Starting Year 12

Hi @roseisnotaplant Smiley Happy, I completed year 12 in 2016 and I felt the exact same as you at the start.. both nervous and excited!
Im so glad to hear that you're looking forward to seeing your friends and it seems you are interested in your subjects, which is very important!! My advice to you is to stay organised and on top of things as much as you can, what helped me was colour coding my subjects and writing a list every week of the things I had to get done for that week.. (it feels so awesome when you get to tick them off!!). However the most important thing is to HAVE FUN !!! Year 12 is such an exciting and fun year full of memories and laughter. Study hard but remember that making the most of your last year of high school with your friends is much more valuable. 
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW !!!! Heart 

@Jane_Rose ah yes... stay organised....

*does holiday homework at 6am on the first day of school*

(THANK YOU <3)

Hey @roseisnotaplant congrats on making it to year 12! I'm so happy to hear that you're excited about the year to come and its normal to feel a bit nervous! I think @Jane_Rose gave you some great advice about being organised and enjoying the moment! That's too bad that you haven't started the year off immediately being organised but that doesn't mean you can't get on top of things! Smiley Happy 

My biggest advice for anyone studying anything ever is to work within your learning style and finding what works for you. I personally found that reading, writing and teaching others is how I learnt the best, whereas others need/use diagrams and tables, others need to hear things in person not just read it etc. And what works for you can change from subject to subject! Have you thought much about what works best for you or tried anything new you've found helpful? 

@Libellule Yeah I think I'm primarily a visual learner, so videos and diagrams and pictures work a lot better for me than chunks of text.

@roseisnotaplant that's great! In that case it might be worthwhile to discuss that with some of your teachers and let them know how you learn best. It can be hard for teachers to cater to every individual student's needs but maybe they can suggest materials to you that might be useful! What do you think? 

You said you were excited to have an active role in the school community, what do you mean by that? Are you apart of some clubs or leadership positions? Smiley Happy 

Good luck @roseisnotaplant!

Hmm... I think the thing that helped me most in Year 12 was making sure I got enough sleep every night. If you can do that, you'll be able to focus heaps better Smiley Happy

How was your first day?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

How was it @roseisnotaplant?? It's great to hear you're excited!

I totally agree with @letitgo on the sleep! Look after yourself because it'll be 10x harder to focus on your work if you're tired or overly stressed out. Maybe we'll hear from you in the selfcare discussion?

Hey! Some advice I can give is to make time for yourself.. don't be consumed with the work. Take walks, watch movies, talk to friends. It's important to feel like there is more than the stress and the work. ahaha I've been there too with the 'haven't finished the holiday homework'

I did year 12 in 2017.  It was stressful occasionally but super fun, one of my favourite years of high school. And it will be over so fast.

I mainly just wanted to wish you good luck for the year! I hope its an awesome one for you!!

DO WHAT YOU LOVE!

@roseisnotaplant I hope you (and everyone else starting school this week) had a great first week back! Smiley Very Happy Everyone has offered some fabulous advice but I wanted to add one more that I will always stand behind, and that is DO WHAT YOU LOVE! If you like art, take that art elective! When you graduate, no one is going to care what subjects you chose for electives, honestly no one. Unless they relate to your career of choice (doing science and wanting to be a scientist, for a basic example), just choose which subjects you love and enjoy doing them!

My second piece of advice I like to scream into the heavens is "There's ALWAYS another way". Don't stress too much about your marks, about overly studying, about those exams because in the end, there is ALWAYS another way of getting to do what you want. Maybe it'll take longer, but it's still there. Enjoy yourself, have fun, do what you love and remember no matter what, you can do whatever you want once you graduate! Especially if you take a gap year, because no one cares what your final grade is except unis when you first enter a course.

SO have fun! Smiley Very Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!