cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stealing medications from family members

Hi I new here. I've been struggling with an addiction to opioids for a couple of years on and off. In the past, I have stolen medication for family members (opioids and benzodiazepines) believe I feel guilty and horrible for what I have done I started hurting myself because of it. My sister just found out the I took some of her medication again it was a few months but she only just found out. She said she's going to ring my medical clinic and report me to them she said something out if I ever need more pains I will have to go through 3 different and someone in Canberra which I'm a little confused about. I know my sister is going to do it. I'm really scared that this is going to ruin my life. Does anyone know what's going to happen? what will my doctor do? I don't ever want to go back to my doctor embarrassed about my behavior. I started using pain meds because of genuine pain but then they help me forget all the traumatic events  I have been through in the last 2 years. I  believe I'm suffering from undiagnosed PTSD from 2 extended stays in the hospital and almost dying both times I was in the hospital due to medical conditions. 

Re: Stealing medications from family members

Hi @kelleh, welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I am really sorry to hear of the difficult time you are going through right now, I know it must be really hard to go through this alone and having fear and shame around your actions, but I just want to ensure you that everything you are experiencing is more common than you think, and that overall everything will be ok. 

May I ask how long you have been frequently using this medication for? And if your current doctor has prescribed this to you in the past? The reason I ask that is to explore whether they have knowledge of your usage, in the case that it is flagged with them by your sister. From my knowledge, if the doctor is aware of the addiction, they may restrict or limit your access to the supply. 

I can only begin to imagine how scary this all is for you, so I want to let you know that we are here to support you through this difficult time Heart

Hey there! it sounds like you are having a really difficult time and I am so sorry to hear that. I too know what it's like to struggle with addiction but this is nothing you have to be ashamed of or embarrassed by- It is a very common issue and not at all your fault. 

In terms of what your sister is talking about, yes they can flag you as a potential addict which means they will take extra precautions when prescribing addictive medication but these restrictions are there to help you not hurt- at least in my experience they have only prescribed maybe 2-3 tablets at a time and would have to go back to get more. It definitely won't ruin your life.

I really encourage you to find a doctor you can trust and maybe look into going to see someone about the potential PTSD as that seems to be the reason behind the drug abuse. I fully believe that everything is going to be ok for you and I wish you all the very best.

Please don't be a stranger Smiley Happy Heart

I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time. I would encourage you to find support for your addiction maybe on Facebook if not in person and to find a doctor or medical professional you feel comfortable talking to this about. I believe that things will work and that this will benefit you in the long run. Please keep us updated and let us know if we can support you more in some way.

Here are some articles you may find helpful:

https://au.reachout.com/articles/how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-drug-problem

https://au.reachout.com/articles/what-is-addiction