cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Stimming

FB_IMG_15818375321863136.jpg

I found this picture and I like it, particularly how it outlines a variety of functions stimming can serve

Highlighted

This is a great resource! Thanks for sharing @hellofriend

Infographics are so good because members can also save the image to their phones Smiley Happy

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Hi @hellofriend , this is such a great resource, thanks so much for sharing it! 

I am really loving this thread , I've just skimmed back through it and have learned so much, thanks @Tiny_leaf , @xXLexi_Lou122Xx , @mrmusic and everyone else who shared here. 

I have a close family member who stims quite a bit, and I know as they've got older (they're primary school age) , they've had more people commenting on it, and occasionally shaming them for it.

Their most common stims are clenching their fists and shaking when they're excited, hand flapping, and drawing on their legs in pen. I remember doing similar flapping when i was young and got overwhelmed sometimes.

I've read quite a bit on stimming but I feel like it's often talked about in a way that overlooks the positive aspects of it, and how soothing it can be for people - I love threads like this! Thanks so much again everyone for sharing

I'm also wondering if anyone here finds activities like crocheting or knitting helpful? I used to study with someone who found that crocheting/ knitting  in class was a really helpful way for her to concentrate, plus as a bonus she would end up with pretty scarves, and cute toys and stuff! 

Image result for crocheting images

Check out our community activities calendar for March 2020 here
Highlighted

@Janine-RO it's really sad when people get made fun of for stimming.

I actually had to re-learn how to stim after I found out that there was nothing actually wrong with it, because everyone had conditioned me not to.

Starting to stim again made a really big difference to me which is actually why I made this thread.

Also can I just say that the tentacles on those jellyfish look like they would be super entertaining to play with.

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf  I agree, and I'm so glad that there is much more awareness these days about the function that stimming plays, and how important it can be to people. I think that some parents can sometimes feel worried about their kid appearing "weird", or worry about them being made fun of, and that can lead to people being pressured to stop. Threads like this are so important Heart 

I agree with the jellyfish -they actually look super similar to ones a friend of mine makes for premature babies in the NICU. They've found that premmies can find it really soothing to play with the octopus tentacles because they feel like the umblilical cord, which they would have been playing with in the womb. So now people will volunteer to make them for babies who are still in the hospital  Heart 

Image result for premature babies octopus

Check out our community activities calendar for March 2020 here
Highlighted

@Janine-RO I just like them because they look bumpy Smiley Tongue

Looks like such a good texture. 

This week I've realised that stimming by smelling things that smell nice is super effective for getting me out of a panicked state, other stims just help me fight off crying or screaming, but smelling something nice seems to just flick a calmness switch Smiley Happy I've realised I can do great sensory walks through my garden, smelling/touching/tasting herbs and flowers and other plants.

Also, how cool are sunsets?! Nature's daily ritual of the perfect (well for me anyway) visual stim, watching the sun slowly sink below the horizon while the sky changes colour

Also (now I'm on a roll of how much I love stimming while connecting with nature),  the beach is like my stim paradise. I love the smell of the air, the wave crashing sounds, collecting and arranging shells, squishing sand between my toes, lying in the water feeling it bob me gently up and down. Plus it's one of the few public places I feel like people are barely paying attention to anyone else and it's the social norm to just let people exist doing whatever they like without judgement

Highlighted

There. Are. Glitter jar gifs!!

Image result for sensory jar autism