cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Striking up a conversation

The older I get, the more the parties and the bigger my social circle becomes! However it didn't always use to be this way. I used to feel severe anxiety at any party/social gathering, and I would never talk to anyone that I didn't know. I slowly overcame this but still struggle a bit with striking up conversation with someone I don't know.

So, how do you do it? What type of stuff do you ask someone you've just met?

Re: Striking up a conversation

I'm a little shy when it comes to mingling with people I haven't met. I find it easiest to start up conversations around something neutral/ relevant to where you are - like asking how the person knows the person holding the party or asking what they've got planned for the weekend. Going up to someone and just saying "Hey, how's it going?" is also a very good way of easing into a conversation.

Re: Striking up a conversation

@JustThatGirl wrote:

I find it easiest to start up conversations around something neutral/ relevant to where you are - like asking how the person knows the person holding the party or asking what they've got planned for the weekend. Going up to someone and just saying "Hey, how's it going?" is also a very good way of easing into a conversation.

That's a good tip Smiley Happy 

I get quite nervous about talking to people I haven't met, and even with people I already know. So I'm not very likely to try and start a conversation with anyone, but even then it helps to have some ideas on what to talk about if I decide to talk to anyone or if anyone talks to me.