cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Stuck at home ideas

Hey! 

I'm new to these forums and love the great community here! 

Found myself on this specific topic's page because I'm always looking for cool new hobbies to pick up. I have tried knitting and, well... it's a lot harder than it looks okay! I also tried to learn how to do a handstand but decided that it wasn't worth risking the concussion for. But honestly, I've found painting and listening to podcasts to be the most beneficial. Love literally any podcast. My favourite recently has been this one called Flash Forward, it's a dystopian science one if your into that kind of thing. Love doing art too and being creative, have tried to get into doing collaging. Would love to learn how to do origami if anyone knows that kind of stuff! 

But honestly, I am really interested in finding new hobbies and would love any suggestions! 

Excited to keep up with this community! 

Highlighted

This is a great thread @lemurien! I'm sorry you've been struggling with the lockdown though ☹️ Welcome to the forums@funnyusername, those sound like great hobbies!

At home I've been:

Mostly following a weekly routine with things I want and need to do regularly in it

Reading a new series (Percy Jackson 😁)

Rearranging/redecorating/ decluttering the house

Drawing

Doing sudokus

Watching movie franchises

Studying

Having bubble baths

Playing board games

Switching to more ethical banks/super accounts

Listening to music while cleaning

Cooking/baking nice things

Highlighted

Found the photos button! i made these origami butterflies during the first lockdown Smiley Happy 

108381521_2539364853040161_8578093945268822962_n.jpg108460518_309839753486063_1492160473686620536_n.jpg

@funnyusername I like going on http://www.origami-instructions.com/ to learn origami! i bet there are lots of youtube videos for origami too, but personally I prefer being able to read instructions in word form.

Highlighted

it's good to have a routine @hellofriend, a lot of people recommend trying to stick to one during the pandemic. I really suck at it though Smiley Tongue how did you go about setting up your routine, and how do you stick to it?
Highlighted

Those butterflies are beautiful @lemurien!

In terms of routine, I think I find it best to not put too much pressure on myself to stick to it. If I've got something on there I care about doing it's nice having a time to default to it, and if it only ends up happening half the time that's still better than never. And I find making as much of it as possible stuff I want to do important. If I notice things I want to do more of in my life, I add more of that to the routine. And I also find it helpful having it presented in a big, visual, adjustable way. I've got it on a whiteboard divided into kind of a chart. And also having some things on it that involve other people helps (but I know that's not possible for everyone). Also leaving plenty of space for breathing room (leaving a time block for an activity much bigger than it needs to be) so there's time to procrastinate and rest without then being like 'I've missed my chance for X activity'. And also noticing if there's anything I can change to make the activities themselves easier or more enticing to do (like making grocery shopping click and collect, listening to music or a book while doing chores, making a pleasant and functional study space before putting study in my routine and expecting to do it a lot). Also not planning out every minute of my day in the routine so there's still flexibility. Even moreso when you're first starting with a routine, maybe starting by scheduling in just a few things a week that you're confident you want to do then gradually adding more things in as you get more comfortable with the idea.

I think a really good starting point is keeping in mind that the routine is there to serve me, I'm not there to serve the routine.

Highlighted

Hey @lemurien 

I try to do some weights, but something more fun is jump ropes and trying to train my jumping since I enjoy playing casual volleyball. I know my partner does a variety of home exercises that don't require weights and she finds them from youtube.

Hope you're well and enjoy what your doing!

Highlighted

Just wanted to say @lemurien  those butterflies are absolutely gorgeous! You’re so talented! Heart

Highlighted

@lemurien Wow! So pretty, I love that paper you've used!!! I will check out that website, thanks! I totally agree with reading rather than just looking at pictures. Super confusing with just images sometimes!

Highlighted

@lemurien  thanks so much for sharing those, I love the paper you've used! Where did you get it? I was lucky enough to go to Japan a few years ago and some of the paper shops there were totally mindblowing. 

Check out our community activities calendar for August 2020 here
Highlighted

aww thank you everyone! It’s really a lot easier than it looks, i recommend giving it a go! even doing simple ones can be really cool and satisfying.

@Janine-RO I actually got the papers in Japan a few years back!! I was just mesmerised by those paper shops, but I saved the paper for ages not wanting to waste it. Now I figure, it’s origami paper, I should let it fulfil its destiny haha.

@hellofriend thank you so much for taking the time to write all those tips, I think it’ll really help me. I love the bit about “the routine exists to serve me.” it’s so easy to get bogged down in guilt and stress trying to follow a routine when the whole point of it is to make things easier.