cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Stuck at home ideas

loooove the origami @lemurien ! Im also in VIC and definitely felt the anger and frustration initially when they announced the second lockdown. I have been filling my time
- re decorating my room and making it feel new and improved!
- painting! Im not any picasso but have really enjoyed painting recently and creating things for my family and friends. Ive been doing the acrylic pours (theyre so easy and look amazing)
- reading!
- trying to use my time wisely e.g. re-doing my resume, contributing to the forums, following up emails and future endeavours and starting my applications for masters!
Highlighted

Hi @Wolfie_ , nice to hear from another person in VIC. it was really difficult news to hear last week for sure, I was so upset I just didn't know what to do. i'm glad you've been able to spend your time doing enjoyable and productive things Smiley Happy i've just googled acrylic pours and they look so satisfying!! i'm thinking about doing my masters as well; what will your masters be in?
Highlighted

Hi @lemurien Smiley Happy im hoping to get into Masters in Clinical Psychology, how about yourself?
Highlighted

oh awesome!! I have such an interest in psychology but always been afraid of how intense the job seems. My field is languages, so I am looking at a masters in applied linguistics, or in translation and interpreting studies, something along those lines Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Hey @lemurien @Wolfie_ I hope you two are okay with lockdowns! I'm up in NSW and we're starting to get a whole heap of pubs and restaurants closing. I suppose it's interesting that it's only one industry that's really spreading it, but I really hope things get better in Victoria soon and don't spread any further Smiley Sad It's heartbreaking really.

I wanted to show off some of my origami since I actually remembered that I had a little project from a while ago. I particularly like making little boxes because I like to give my friends small handmade trinkets. The traditional Masu box is super easy to make and you can make a full box just by making the bottom out of a slightly smaller piece of paper: https://origami.me/box/

This was a little origami rabbit envelope I made to share some seeds with my friends Smiley Very Happy

109489550_1000597693723932_5804545737509760937_n.jpg

I also wanted to add that I was looking for a sign from the universe that was going to be conveyed with butterflies so your origami really hit home for me @lemurien...

Welcome @funnyusername! My mum knits and I've tried knitting and crocheting and hoo boy, really not as easy as it looks! I've been sticking to cross stitch and embroidery Smiley Very Happy I also love having youtube on the background. That podcast sounds fantastic though! When do you listen to them?

I'm like @hellofriend that I can't stick to a routine very well either. I generally have very basic blocks of things I do though. Like, every Wednesday I try and see or talk to friends and do craft. On Tuesday nights I exercise. Thursday is my day I come online here Smiley Very Happy How has everyone been going with their routines?

Highlighted

Also @lemurien I wanted to say that your career path sounds super interesting! I have a friend who is looking into linguistics because she was studying French and just found it a bit overwhelming and didn't like her teacher. She's now planning to study language outside of uni and is looking at becoming an English teacher in a foreign country Smiley Very Happy I think your degree will be super worthwhile whatever you do with it!

Highlighted

That sounds so interesting @lemurien what sort of job are you interested in getting?

@StormySeas17 I didnt realise they were starting to close the restaurant district again, thats scary I hope you dont end up in lockdown like ours again!
Highlighted

your origami made me smile @StormySeas17 !! I hope my butterflies were a sign of something good for you. it's amazing how the universe works sometimes hey?

I really like that simple approach to a routine. I have managed to create a super light routine for myself, where I try to spend some time each day making something (writing a letter, knitting or doing an origami) for someone, and then when it's finished I take a walk to the post office to send it off. That way I'm doing something creative, connecting with other people AND getting a bit of exercise and sunlight! it's been quite enjoyable for me Smiley Happy

@Wolfie - My career ideas are similar to @StormySeas17's friend - I'd love to teach abroad. other than that, my ideas are pretty vague; I just know I like writing, helping out in the community, meeting people from different backgrounds, and working with languages. so, I hope I can get a job along those lines! I'd also loooove to get involved with translation for books/games/movies (translating them into English) but again like stormy's friend, languages at uni are really overwhelming and I'm not as fluent as I wish I was Smiley Sad I'll get there someday!
Highlighted

@lemurien Thank you! Yes the message was very positive for me Smiley Very Happy

I have found that doing activities which have thoughts towards other people has really helped me too! Sometimes it's hard not to view self care as selfish. Also, I wouldn't know what to do with everything I made. So last year a lot of my projects were oriented as gifts towards others. It's so nice that you're mailing things, not many people do that and your friends must really appreciate it!

If you're keen on working overseas then I think that's part of the answer to your question! For example my friend has become fascinated with Korean culture and also did her exchange in France and loved it. Have you studied abroad or gone abroad before? My friend's plan is to be tutored outside of school because you learn more and it costs less. At the end of the day they'll care about your fluency, your qualifications will be the door opener though! Have you done any research about potential work areas?

Highlighted

@StormySeas17 Yes that's another lockdown activity I've spent a bit of time on! thinking about the future can be pretty overwhelming but it can also be inspiring so I've been trying to do a bit of career planning. I've been emailing different teachers at my uni and asking about the work they've done in my fields, and how they got those jobs. Like your friend, I learn French, and omg I'm totally envious of her exchange. If a job in France came up for me I'd do that in a heartbeat!