cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Study Snacks!

As exam time rolls around you might've seen ReachOut's  CEO on Sunrise and the Today Show talking about exam stress and eating healthy during exam time (step away from the chocolate!) and it can be really hard.

Thankfully ReachOut has put together a list of food to help your brain work it's best when you are studying. You can find the list here, but I was wondering if anyone had any yummy study snacks that are healthy for you during this stressful time?

giphy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

Re: Study Snacks!

Celery sticks with a yummy heathy peanut butter ! there are so many new brands on the market heaps of flavours to try !Smiley Happy

Great post @ErinsAntics

My fav study snacks at the moment is popcorn - not the microwave packets layered in butter - but the plain kernels  - cooked in olive oil over the stove! Takes a few mins and is SUPER cheap -plus not too sugary or heavy!

i also quite like the ends of broccoli ( you know the btis you usually throw away..) raw.. and cut into smaller dip sized pieces , dipped in hummus or peanut butter! its better than it sounds i promise! 

This post is basically my day today, and my days over last week. Last night I was even making a mental note of the types of chips and sweets I should get for today to get me through my essay.
I have not done that though! And am going to try to get through without.

Tea, or similar hot drinks, I've found to be good because it feels like I have something to occupy myself with while not actually occupying my hands constantly. It's a good pacing thing.
On that note, always always have water next to you when you're studying. You will drink it without even realising.

It's on the list, but fruit is a really good thing. Bananas are easy, likeable, and give a boost of energy that makes you not really need/crave the sugary snacks.
Or things like cut up apples give the snacking feeling while actually being good. I'm pretty simple when it comes to snacks, so they work well for me.

I personally cannot STAND celery or peanut butter so unfortunately I can't back you guys up on that one Smiley Tongue

Some things that work really well for me, though:

• Carrot sticks
  • Tomato cut up into quarters or sixths (or just some cherry tomatoes Smiley Happy)
  • Allllllll the fruit
  • Yoghurt with some banana/berries/sultanas/almonds
  • High fibre cereal like Weetbix
  • Two minute noodle omelettes with mushrooms, zucchini and capsicum - super cheap and easy. It tastes great, I promise! Smiley Tongue
  • Microwavable brown rice with some frozen veggies mixed in

I also can't live without my beloved Dairy Milk chocolate (to the point where I apparently recently inspired @ErinsAntics to eat an entire block while doing her assignment 😂) but I find that it's a matter of filling myself up with healthy foods, so that I'm 90% full by the time I get to the junk food. I eat less that way.

Also 100000% yes to @Birdeye's point about water! I can't get any work done without a water bottle next to me. Not only does it keep you hydrated, it forces you to get up every few hours to pee 😂 Smiley Very Happy

@lokifishyou are a bad influence on me! 

@gina-ROpopcorn is good, we have an air popper at home and it's super easy to make, also I love the sweet and salty packets of popcorn you buy at the store, its good when you want a treat but it's still healthy Smiley Happy

My go snacks at the moment are the following:

• 1 part cashews to 1 part almonds to 1 park chocolate chips or m&ms, I put it in a small container and take it to TAFE with me and it really fills me up and is yummy Smiley Happy
  • Veggie chips - I know these aren't the best thing for you but when they are good substitute for when you need something salty and not overly processed. 
  • Tortilla chips - again not super healthy but I find I need less of them than I do normal chips to satisfy me. 
  • Pretzels 
  • Buhja or whatever the Indian noodle and nut mix is called you buy at the shops. 

For lunches I often do one of the following, if leftovers aren't an option or I want something different:

• Fritters - grated potatoes, some defrosted frozen corn, grated zucchini if I'm feeling fancy, some bacon (chopped into tiny pieces and microwaved for a few minutes) and some onion. Be sure to squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the potatoes and zucchini. Throw in a bowl and mix in an egg, salt and pepper, some plain flour and milk (or I use milk powder and water) until you get thickish batter either fried in a bit of oil or I use our toasted sandwich press which means they are done in minutes. I serve them with sour cream (if I have any) and sweet chilli sauce. The leftovers are great reheated in a fry pan too Smiley Happy
  • Savoury muffins - I pack them with all the veggies, some cheese and bacon and then freeze them in snap lock bags of 3-4 and when I need and easy lunch I just grab a bag and run. By the time it's lunch they are defrosted and ready to go Smiley Happy
  • Small quiches - I cut rounds of puff pastry to fit in a muffin tin then do a mix of veggies and whatever meat we have, topped with cheese and then pour over some egg, salt and pepper and milk over it all. Again I freeze them in packs of 3-4 and they are an easy lunch. 
  • Easy layered Mexican dip for one- take half an avocado and mash in a container, once smooth spread it in a layer, top with a layer of sour cream, followed by a layer of salsa (I use the jarred kind as I am lazy) and some grated cheese. I serve it with carrot sticks and tortilla chips for a yummy lunch. 
  • Impossible green pie/quiche - in a blender combine the following: 6 eggs, a good amount of spinach/silver beat, an onion peeled quartered, cheese (about half a cup cut into smallish cubes), blend until smooth. Add in 1/2 cup milk, 3/4cup plain flour and salt and pepper blend again (if it's too thick add in some more milk and pulse), pour into either a muffin tin or big tray, throw on some defrosted frozen corn, some bacon chopped and microwaved for a few minutes and some grated cheese. Bake until set. Super easy quiche with no pastry and there's minimal washing up too Smiley Happy I freeze this in portions again and it reheats really well or I just eat it cold. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!
Highlighted

I love this post! @ErinsAntics
And the use of the Kevin gif haha.
I also love everyone's responses Heart
I looove to snack.

-Pita bread and hummus or garlic dip
-Cut up carrots, celery, capsicum
- Bagel and cream cheese (maybe not that healthy but not too bad right haha)
-Popcorn! I love slightly sweet and salty ones.
-Yoghurt! I love the YoPro ones that aren't too sweet and high in protein.
-Grilled cheese sandwich.

But also I realise that sometimes I eat as a procrastination tool or out of boredom haha.

great thread!
i love having some carrot sticks on hand and sometimes cheese and crackers as well.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Great post and some great ideas!

I love to have yoghurt and berries!