cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Study Stress? Create a profile to cope!

@Jess1-RO this looks so cool!

Pick a gif that represents your relationship with study at the moment

joel mchale community GIF

(sooooo much procrastination)

Tell us a little bit about your studies

Right now i'm nearly finished with my honours in psychology! My thesis is due in about a month so it's getting pretty busy! Smiley LOL

What do you enjoy about your studies?

I'm really liking how we're studying current topics in science and current research! A really cool look at what's happening in academia right now rather than 10 years ago, you know?

What are the signs that you are stressed from studying/experiencing study stress?

- muscle tension

- can't concentrate

- brain is like a soggy sponge and won't absorb anything

- easily frustrated/irritated

- prickly skin

What are your top study stress busters/coping strategies?

- getting up a getting moving! seriously, just going for a walk around the block for 15 mins takes me from 8 to 0 on the aggro scale haha less likely to mutter angrily at my notes 

Set a goal for managing study stress!

Start early! Not necessarily get things finished sooner, but just start them ASAP so that they don't build into a seemingly insurmountable task in my head Smiley Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a Slow-Mo Getting Real chat on Family Changes during the week running from the 7-11th of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

This!!! Because there is just so many things racing through my head at the moment and the mental to-do list just keeps piling up and up. 

Just like @ecla34 I am also finishing up my psych honours project with the thesis due in about a month (ahhhh scary thought). I want to apply for a clinical psychology masters program for 2020 and continue on the psychology path!  

I actually enjoy learning about psychology because obviously the brain is super weird and cool and interesting! It's also been nice this year at uni because our cohort is a little smaller so I've been able to get really close with some of my peers.

What are the signs that you are stressed from studying/experiencing study stress?

Like the GIF above I will have a million things racing through my head and find it particularly hard to relax, especially trying to quiet my mind so I can get to sleep at night. I know that it'll all be over in about a month but for the moment it is all-consuming. 

I honestly need some better coping strategies, this is one thing I'm pretty shocking at! I try to go for walks as study breaks to get some exercise and fresh air, but I don't do it often enough because I feel guilty about 'wasting valuable study time'. My housemates are good support though and it's nice to just talk and debrief with them over a cuppa at the end of the day. 

Goal: do little bits of study everyday to make the workload seem not so big!

giphy
giphy

I finished my psychology honours studies in 2017 and have spent last year and this year gaining psychology-related experience before applying to clinical psychology courses (which is taking up a lot of my time right now). I was shortlisted for an interview last year but didn't make the final selection. I'm hoping that I'll get in this year now that I have a lot more experience. I've also done a lot of short courses and other things that have taught me practical skills, such as a cognitive-behavioural course, a crisis management course, a first aid course and a course about how to help and communicate with drug users.

Congratulations to everyone who has completed their studies or is finishing up on their thesis! That year was so stressful and hard for our cohort, although some had better supervisors than others, which made it more manageable.

I love learning about topics that I'm actually interested in and motivated to learn more about compared to school. I also love learning about practical applications of psychology and techniques that help people.

It's hard for me to tell because sometimes I feel as though I am always stressed. One of the signs is when I have hardly any time for myself. I used to get panic attacks and find that I get really perfectionist with the work I do. Another sign is that I find myself declining invitations to go out because I'm too busy studying.

If I'm struggling with an assignment, sometimes I find that doing something else or leaving the house for a bit can help refresh my mind and get me back on the right track. I also try to gradually complete assignments rather than doing them all in one sitting.

I want to develop a better sleep schedule and do things to manage my fatigue so that I can have more energy if I get into a course.

Thanks for the tag @Jess1-RO! So important and so relevant for me right now.

At the moment...

giphy

Study is a huge trigger for me, for both anxiety and depression. I've been really struggling recently, but I'm slowly managing.

I major in literature and psychology, and am hoping to go further in the neuropsychology field after 4th year. I'm currently third year, only doing one subject at the moment since I had to drop the rest due to anxiety/depression. Ideally, I would have completed my fourth year this year, but now I'll have to wait until 2021. It's been really tough, but I'd rather get through mature, healthy, and confident than not at all, or to do it poorly.

A lot! I'm passionate about all of it. I love almost every book we read in literature, and I love analysing everything (which is part of why I struggle -- I have no idea when to stop researching when I start! Once I seriously contemplated paying $50 to gain access to an article so I can use it as a reference for one sentence. My OCD goes crazy). I love the theories of psychology and learning about what has worked and what hasn't, and understanding the weird, pink squishy organ that pilots us. Smiley LOL 

I don't eat, I don't sleep. I get nauseous. I stay up all night researching, go to sleep confident then wake up to a panic attack because I know I have to write. I have brain fog and nothing I write makes any sense. I can't focus on anything, or relax. I have thoughts of self harm. 

Not the best feeling.

I really have no idea, I feel like I've exhausted all avenues and nothing really has been working for me. But I love to go on walks, and set myself some breaks to play with animals/ reax in the bath, do some meditation, etc. I have to learn to be kinder to myself. 
Also, uni psychologists tend to be really helpful. I've only had one appointment but they've understood the pressure I'm going through!

Be kinder to myself, and take it one step at a time.

Thankyou for this - I love this idea!

I am almost at the end of my second year as a full-time psychology undergrad ! (yay only like 6 years to go! *facepalm*)

I learn some of the most interesting things! Psych is just so relevant to everything in our daily lives, who we are, our interactions and how we understand the world - it's been really enjoyable! stressful.....but enjoyable!

What are the signs that you are stressed from studying/experiencing study stress?:

• When I don't feel like talking to anyone and just want to sit in the dark in my room watching netflix
  • When I start crying out of exhaustion and stress
  • When I find myself not enjoying the things I usually enjoy
  • When my thoughts are constantly racing
  • When i'm having a really hard time finding motivation 

• I usually am doing uni-work 7 days a week but sometimes i take a day off to just have some me time!
  • I talk to someone i love about it or a friend who understands
  • I use my casual work as a bit of an escape sometimes 
  • I try to use positive self talk as much as i can and not beat myself up over assessment results i can't change

I want to bring some more work-life balance into my life starting next year, i'm going to cut down working 5 days a week at my casual job to probably 3 days. I realised work was not only taking time away from uni, but also leaving me too exhausted to be effective when I am doing uni work.

@reach804 that sounds like a really good way of maintaining work-life balance Smiley Very Happy 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a Slow-Mo Getting Real chat on Family Changes during the week running from the 7-11th of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart