cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Switching off and relaxxxxiiiinnnggg

Hey guys,

So with uni in full swing, I feel like I have a million things to do juggling work and sport and  relationships and everything else on top (deep breath). My problem is that when I try to stop and relax or have some me time, I a) feel really guilty and unproductive and b) kind of don't know what to do. 

If anyone has some ideas on how to switch off and relax I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Switching off and relaxxxxiiiinnnggg

Hey rt262 (your username reminds me of R2D2. Because of the R and the 2's. It's awesome.)

An excellent way to switch off is to binge on a good movie or show. With a bag of whatever you like to eat in a comfy seat. It's just nice to take a few hours to just relax with a movie.

Highlighted

Hey @rt262 

I sometimes find myself in that situation but honestly with uni and work timeout doing nothing is the best!! I like to catch up with some of my favourite TV shows because it helps keep my mind off the things I need to do. Reading is also very relaxing and I enjoy it. Never feel guilty for relaxing when you work so hard most of the time, you need to switch off sometimes in order do better otherwise you'd never get the mental and physical strength to keep up with lifes expectations. 

Highlighted

Hey @rt262 

One of the ways that I like the relax is just going for a run and doing some arm flailing. It's pretty silly but I think that's the great part of it - being able to laugh about it Smiley Tongue Like @N1ghtW1ng and @m-y93 , sitting down and catching up on TV shows or watching movies as well as snacking is also another fantastical way of relaxing. Don't feel bad about relaxing! It's essential to feel refreshed and revived once you've had a big day or a big study session Smiley Happy

Thanks for the tips guys. @m-y93 I really love that thought about switching off to regain your mental and physical strength- we NEED to do it! And @Myvo the idea of running around flailing my limbs sounds hilarious! If I get the courage to do it, or a willing friend, I know I'll feel so much less stressed after! 

Highlighted

I know what you mean!

I feel like I cant relax sometimes because when I sit down to watch tv, in the back of my mind Im calculating how much work I have to do and how little time I have to do it - but it is true, sometimes we need to relax in order to get some mental health points back

I figure that its better to relax a little so that you are fresh and ready the next time you go to study or do an assignment, rather than non stop studying but being in a half awake semi brain dead state!

Highlighted

Hey  @rt262 

I read your explanation and went "this is so me"! I am getting better at relaxing and actually making time to do so by watching a movie or gaming or listening to music.

When I'm really struggling to switch off tend to do a few minutes of mindfullness or evrn have friends force me to take a break- that way I am being productive in a way by keeping them company, bit alsogiving myself a chance to fill my physical and mental energy back up.

I hope you can find some things to help you switch off. Smiley Happy  

Highlighted

I find breathing exercises is a useful tool, to switch off and take a minute or two to relax. Also, music takes my mind too another level and world.

I find if I finish work or even school as an example, on the drive to my next destination I crank up the music and my battery's are somewhat recharged again.
Highlighted

Smiling Mind is a great app fo relaxing!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

One of the best ways I've found to switch off is to have a really good playlist of chillout songs at your disposal. Just pop in some headphones, sit back and relax Smiley Happy