cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: TW: I'm terrified about the future

Thanks, but as much as I want to believe that things will be alright, I just don't feel like it's possible. I have no control over whether I have a happy life, it's all determined by politics these days. People now have this mentality that they have to let the petty drama and hate politics get in the way of their lives to the point where they let it destroy all their relationships, crush their dreams and make them give up on life; permanently in some cases, as they might choose to end their lives under the belief that things will never change. And honestly, I feel that way myself. I've been feeling less and less confident that things will be better next year; what if there are still no conventions or live shows, or I still can't go out or do anything else outside? What if the pandemic triggers a chemical warfare the likes of which the world has never seen before? What if, on New Years Eve, people tell me that things will only get worse... And what if they're right?

Highlighted

Hey @Bento, I can hear that you're feeling exceptionally stressed about everything that's going on right now, and I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I think this year has been an extremely unpredictable year, and it makes a lot of sense to be wary of what might be to come. I know that you've struggled in the past with these sorts of thoughts, do you know what's helped you in those situations in the past?

Highlighted

As far as things that make me feel better go, drawing's one of the big ones I've been able to do at home. Although it can be hard at times, I get a real sense of satisfaction out of finishing a drawing I'm happy with, and I find the process can be almost meditative in a way. Kinda like those mindful colouring books. But lately I've struggled to find motivation to draw because I wanted to sell my artwork, which I put up for sale on Etsy, but no ones bought anything from me yet and it's hard to advertise myself. I guess I should be drawing because I like it, not for profit, but I wanted to save up for a trip to Japan one day with the money I made. That's why I hope I can go to some events where I can sell art; I might be able to do one in May, fingers crossed. There's also conventions in Melbourne planned for April and July so far, but I'm worried as to whether they can go through. All I know is that when we can go to conventions again, it will be such a happy and liberating time for me and many others. At least, I hope it will be if there's not too many other bad things going on by then...

Highlighted

Other than drawing, watching anime and other shows can help me feel better too. Either because they can help make me laugh, or because they're good for escapism and help distract me briefly from the world I live in. Since lockdown I've decided to start watching My Hero Academia, because I put off watching it before because I was worried it was too long and I'd never find time to watch it. But now that I have started it and am 23 episodes in (out of something like 80-90), it's now one of my favourite anime! My only regret is not giving it a try sooner. I really want to be able to join the other fans at conventions next year and make up for lost time.

Highlighted

It’s so good to hear that you’re enjoying drawing and watching anime. Definitely keep that up if it’s making you feel better. That’s awesome that you put you art on Etsy! Do you use any other social media sites that you could potentially advertise your art on? It sounds like you’re really talented and passionate about your art which is so great to hear. 

Highlighted

Thank you. I think right now I'm feeling a strong mixture of emptiness and anxiety for the future. I'm worried that 2020 might still throw one last thing at us right at the end, and the world really doesn't need that. If I could put a positive spin on the events of the year, it would be that this might be the last big obstacle before things get better; people were saying that they wanted to make this the decade where we really change the world for the better, so I'm really hoping that this is the point where things really turn around. But I don't want to get my hopes up, because I've done so before and felt like an idiot as a result, causing me to lower my expectations because I don't want to feel disappointed again. I've been assured that at some point next year by the time a vaccine is released well have all the events we normally have up and running again, I just hope by then the world will be a better place than it was before the pandemic.

Highlighted

It’s completely normal to feel like this and don’t feel like you’re alone in that. I really like your positive spin on things- you should definitely try to hold onto that. You’re one of the first people I’ve spoken to who has framed it like that and I think it’s rare for someone to even begin to consider the positive aspects of the pandemic in such a difficult time. 

Highlighted

Oh, really? Well that doesn't give me much confidence, because I feel like I can't trust my own opinions if it's not popular enough, going back to my fear of having a "wrong" opinion that differs from the mainstream mentality. I don't think people should have to feel that way; we shouldn't have to have our thoughts molded by what the majority of people think, especially if it's negative. I feel like not enough people talk about stuff like that, and I think its a serious problem that we need to call out and encourage independent thought more. After all, people have always been fighting for freedom of speech, wouldn't this count as such?

I also feel like having to hope that things get better that I have no control over makes me feel powerless because I can't do anything about it, I just have to pray that things work out. I hate having my mental wellbeing rest solely on outside factors, and it really shouldn't be that way. Political tension should not give someone so much anxiety and depression that affects their ability to cope in the world, especially if they're not even political people to begin with. Politics is a leech that sucks all the innocence and positivity out of the world. I wish it wasn't such a big part of society and we could all be able to just worry about our own personal lives and what we can control.

Although every now and then, I do read some news on politics just to get me informed and sometimes it makes me feel a bit more secure. But then there's all the other times the news has made me feel absolutely terrified. And I'm going to vote in the Victoria council election to help with Victoria's recovery and protecting nature.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento you've said some really powerful statements around the importance of focusing on what you can control. Making your vote count in the council election and focusing on local matters is one really effective way of investing your energy into things within your reach. I know that I have also felt really overwhelmed this year and the major thing that has helped me to stay grounded is to focus on my immediate comfort and peace. It isn't always easy but it definitely isn't impossible either. 

It's a tricky balance trying to be in the moment and focus on the now as well as have hope for the future. It's hard to remember this but I always remind myself that there are good people. Sadly, negative influences often take up the most room (especially in the media) but it should never be forgotten that there are so many incredible people who invest their whole lives into the betterment of society, such as scientists developing vaccines and volunteers who are willing to take part in trials. I strongly believe that this year (as strange and difficult as it has been) will open peoples eyes to a lot of things - these huge historical moments in time always end up having a flow on impact and I think a lot of positives will come out of this. Not to diminish how tumultuous it has been but it's something that keeps me strong, so I thought I'd share. 

Highlighted

Sorry it took a while to reply, but yes, that's a good mentality to have. Even though I still feel sad that I don't have anything exciting happening for a little while longer, I've been making through each day by doing things to mentally occupy me and give me something to look forward to.

I found this article from the charity group Song Room that I thought I'd share because it's only appropriate; it popped up in my e-mails just as we were discussing this, so it's perfect!

https://www.songroom.org.au/media/latest-news/lessons-learned-through-covid-19/?utm_medium=email&utm... TSR eDM CEO Term 4&utm_content=2020-10-15 TSR eDM CEO Term 4+CID_1919d48c4bc5a8412a9142b0c51beb7d&utm_source=Campaign Monitor&utm_term=here