cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: TW: I'm terrified about the future

@Bento It sounds like that you've been able to find a good balance in having to deal with such a tough situation. Even though it is sad, I think it's great you've been able to make that space for yourself to feel that emotion, but to also be able to focus on what you are able to do every day and enjoy the little things that happen moment by moment.

You're right, the article from Song Room is so relevant:

"Life in lockdown has enhanced our gratitude for small, every day pleasures...Arts activities can encourage us to be mindful, to slow down and to feel relaxed. They make us smile and feel connected to our humanity. The global pandemic has taught us to notice and savour these everyday moments of making and responding with creativity and joy."

That part in the article really stuck out to me! Thanks for sharing it Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Loved this article @Bento thanks for sharing!!

Highlighted

Yes I'm glad I came across that post by The Song Room, it's good to see people express hope for the future. I just hope it will stay that way...

In Victoria some more things are opening up now that its safer, and we can mostly start going out again as normal from the 1st of November. But I'm worried that'll be too late for me to be able to enjoy being out, since that's right around the time of the US election, so I'm worried that there will be too much tension in the air. Before the pandemic I struggled being out because there was too much that was a hazard to my mental wellbeing. The outside world caused me a lot of stress and it was really hard to look after my wellbeing in such a chaotic world. I'm worried that I run the risk of going back to exactly where I was before. After being away from the city and most places that aren't nearby for so long, it's gonna be hard for me to readjust and face the outside world once again, especially if it's just as stressful as it was before. I feel like my anxiety has gotten worse each year because I haven't been able to tend to it properly. I haven't been able to find enough coping strategies in order to deal with it in a healthy way, so I'm forced to resort to avoidance which just makes it worse. I wish I didn't have to be so scared of the day of the US election, especially since I shouldn't have to worry about it, but I feel like people and the media make it my problem by stressing each other out. I hate what elections have turned into; many people these days cannot be calm, mature and level-headed about politics, so they resort to starting fights and bringing everyone down over it, turning elections into a terrifying thing that people have come to dread. I wish there were no elections because the amount of distress they cause people building up to it and after is not worth it. I fear it might be the single most stressful thing I have ever had to deal with and I literally do not know how i will be able to survive the day when it comes. What do I do???

Highlighted

Hey @Bento , 

I can completely understand your feelings around the US elections , it has been such an intense year already, and there's so many factors at play that make the upcoming elections feel really scary. I'm also someone who reads the news a lot and I am pretty interested in politics (as well as having part of my family living in the USA), and one thing I've had to do for self care has been to limit how much news I consume, I try and limit it to only checking the news once a day. I have to be honest and say I don't always succeed, but trying to be really deliberate about how often, and when I read the news has helped a bit. Do you think something like that would help you at all?  I also remind myself that humans are incredibly resilient - that times may seem grim, but there's also a lot of people out there working really hard to do good things.

Reading through the thread, I think it's really awesome how you've been focusing on positive activities like drawing, watching anime and taking action where you can like voting in the council elections- you've been actively taking steps to make your life better and that can be so hard to do when things are feeling crap and uncertain, so I just wanted to say how great I think that is. 

It can definitely feel weird when restrictions start to be lifted, we didn't have it nearly as tough as you guys did in NSW, but I remember how odd it felt when restrictions started to lift here. Do you think taking it really gradually will help you at all, maybe starting with spending time outside, for instance? 

Check out our community activities calendar for August 2020 here
Highlighted

Hey @Bento, I can definitely relate with feeling a bit anxious and stressed about everything opening up again in Melbourne. It feels strange to think about going out into busy places after being in lockdown for so long. Try not to feel concerned about taking a little while to adjust to this- a lot of people will be in the same boat! For me, I find it helps to discuss my worries with friends and those closest to me, is this something you could try too?

I can also relate to your fear about the election. It can feel like there’s a lot riding on it because it will impact so many lives. I know it’s incredibly hard to avoid the media at the moment. I’m just trying to focus on positive news stories rather than negative ones but I understand this can be very difficult to do. I’m just trying to focus on the fact that our lives will start to normalise in November and that’s something to feel positive about! 

Highlighted

Hey again, I'm sorry I took a while to write back. I was going to reply the other day, but my internet disconnected on me just as I was sending the message and I got really upset because I wrote so much and I really wanted to talk to someone about it. In the day and a half since then I've had an emotional rollercoaster because I've been thinking about a lot and I'm still feeling scared about things. I've been worried about the last two months of the year because I'm worried that something bad might happen at the end and ruin everything we have worked for during this time. I've been feeling upset because even if I can go back into the outside world just like before (for the most part), I'm worried I'll be worse off now than I used to be. Before the restrictions began I was already struggling to cope with the world, and I felt like I couldn't function in society because the outside world was so stressful and harmful to my state of mind, and I felt like I couldn't have a normal, peaceful life. I haven't been able to take care of that problem all year, so I'm worried that things will be exactly the same as before with me being scared of everything.
I've been upset because I've felt like all year people have been bitter, hateful and miserable, and I've dismissed people's positivity and kindness during these times because I've viewed it as insignificant compared to all the hate. I feel like I'm powerless to the negativity of people around me and that I have no choice but to let them beat me down. A part of me realises most people I see on a daily basis are pretty happy, but I'm paranoid of the bad people in the world who want to hurt others. I've been thinking that life should be precious and mostly happy; I know not every second of life can be perfect, but no one should have to feel too afraid to live. And for me and a lot of other people it hasn't just been this year that's been unhappy; it's been many other years before it. I've been lead to believe that the world is full of cynicism, violence and hate, because I don't have many people in my life outside of my family that are positive influences, so I've come to have a very jaded view on the world. I should be excited for my future when I can go back to doing all the things I love, I don't want to be constantly scared of horrible things that might happen. I want to be able to have a happy fulfilling life, but I feel like all the horrible things happening in the world are stopping me from enjoying my life. Please, somebody help me.

Highlighted

Oh, I was under the impression my last message didn't go through. I'm sorry, I'm nervous talking to people about this. After having a talk with Mum today and working some things out I feel a little better. Right now I'm just going through another low point because I'm so uncertain of what's gonna happen. I think one thing I need to do is surround myself with more positivity so I can see the joy in life more and learn to be happier again.

Highlighted

Hi @Bento, it looks like your posts only came through today. It sounds like you have been feeling pretty worried and upset lately. I don't blame you, this year in particular has been a rollercoaster so it is hard to know what to expect. If you ask me, I would say that things are getting better at the moment. I do want to acknowledge that you have mentioned that other years have been unhappy for you too. It must be really hard to have experienced unhappiness for all that time. 

It seems like some time passed in between your two posts.. and now you have chatted to your Mum about how you have been feeling recently. It sounds like it was helpful for you to chat to your Mum, is that right? You also mentioned that you need to surround yourself with more positivity.. how would you feel about contributing to our 3 positives of today thread? They don't have to be massive positives - it could be a pretty flower you saw outside or a tasty snack that you got to eat. Sometimes it helps to consciously think of positive things about our day, otherwise we may not notice otherwise! You also mentioned that you don't have many positive influences in your life. I think surrounding yourself with positive people can make a massive difference. I am wondering if you have thought of chatting to a psychologist/health professional? While they are there to help you through things, they can also become a positive influence in your life too Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Yes, I've been thinking a lot today about how I really want to value my life because it should be a precious thing that no one should have to throw away. It feels so hard for me to live a life in freedom and positivity instead of fear of all the negativity in the world, but I hope it can be done. When I'm socializing with other people I really notice myself feel much happier and livelier. Like when my sister and her boyfriend come around and we play games together, I become much more chatty and sociable, and I have more of a sense of humour. So I know that being around good people does help me feel better. I just want to be able to feel like that more often. Sometimes when I watch videos of dogs and their owners and seeing the happiness and love they have it makes me want to cry from how sweet and wholesome it is. It's things like that that help me realize that there are good things in the world and there are people full of love rather than hate. My view on the world has become skewed because it feels like an overwhelming majority of people are cynical and bitter, so if I could see more positivity and kindness it could rub off on me and make me feel better. I want to be able to trust people again and love myself.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento just wanna say I often resonate with your feelings about society. Injustice has always rubbed me up the wrong way and I've gone through so many emotions about it, from anger to despair. What I wanna say as someone who has lived this, is that leaning towards connecting with people and seeking out things that make you happy, is the sustainable way to deal with the feelings you have. It's not uncommon to simply burn out with everything that goes on in this world we live in, the solution is to actively balance it out and that's what I'm reading here in your post. Run with that! Because as you said you want to value your life and it is possible to do that, while also having time for global issues. I love how you said that you want to trust people and love yourself - you will get there.