cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: TW: I'm terrified about the future

The good news is I feel a lot better than I did about a week ago. I was in a dark place emotionally because I felt hopeless and trapped, and I told Mum I was worried about having a mental breakdown. But a good thing that came out of it was that I had a bit of an epiphany that I shouldn't have to feel this way anymore. I just my mindset stays like that. I'm gonna have to keep it up by talking about it in counselling, but I won't be able to do that right now and I kinda need to talk to somebody about it sooner rather than later. I can try talking about it with Mum in the meantime.

Highlighted

Oh @Bento you've been on such a ride to get to this point, where you've had this epiphany that you shouldn't have to feel this way any longer. I'm really happy to hear that you think that, because it's true. You do not deserve to live in a state of high anxiety about the state of the world and the future. It's not always easy but that's what support people are for - we are here for you and it's so nice that you have your mum to talk to, does she have some helpful insights with this kinda stuff? Getting a counselor to help you through is also a really good idea. 

Highlighted

@Bento It's so so nice to hear that you're finally feeling a little better now. Feelings of hopelessness and entrapment were super common during lockdown- I felt like this some days as well. It's great to hear that you've been confiding in your mum, she sounds really supportive. It sounds like a great idea to be speaking to your counsellor about your worries and concerns as well. I know speaking about how I'm feeling and the issues that I'm having really helps. How has your art been going?

Highlighted

I've been taking a break from drawing lately, but I wanna get back into it at some point. I've been doing other stuff lately. But today I've been feeling anxious all day, so much that I my heart feels like it's been beating heavily for most of the day. I've been trying hard to keep it together, but not knowing what will happen has been really scaring me lately and I don't think I'm ready to find out. I'm tired of people's negative attitudes, but I know I can't change them; it's just a matter of me rising above it, which will be hard. I don't want life to stay this scary, I want it to go back to being fun and exciting soon.

Highlighted

hey @Bento, that does sound exceptionally stressful. You mentioned that you're not ready to find out about something, would you be able to tell us a bit more about what is making you anxious?

Highlighted

Sorry you've been feeling anxious @Bento Smiley Sad And I think it's great that you realise you can't change people's attitudes. You're right, it's hard trying to rise above despite everything, but it sounds like you're on the right track!

Highlighted

I've just anxious that the year's almost over because I don't know what next year will bring, and if I can be happier then. Having gone through a year that's been so upsetting has been really heartbreaking for me; there have been points where it's felt like this is it, things can't possibly get better from here on out. At some points in the year there have been waves where it felt like everything was falling apart at once, though that's also felt that way in the world with previous years. I feel like the election news is really intense with it being so close, I really just want it to be over with because I can't stand the suspense much longer. I really just want things to be better mainly so people will stop their whining that's bringing me down; throughout the year there's been a lot of conflict being escalated by people's hate, and I'm worried that nothing good can come from negative attitudes. I don't want to think that the majority of people are negative, and some people have done really great jobs at holding it together and staying hopeful during extreme times. I just hope all our optimism pays off and there are happier times ahead, because I think while not everyone deserves it, there's a lot of us that do.

Highlighted

I also realise I have a problem worrying about things that aren't a threat to me personally at all, and it shouldn't affect me, but I let it anyway because I feel like people make it my problem. It's to the point where I'm more concerned with issues in the world I can't do anything about than personal things happening in my life; do you think it shouldn't be that way? I know I'm not alone in this because time and time again I keep seeing others, mostly around my age, be severely emotionally affected by things they're powerless to do anything about, and I think that's really sad because it makes us feel like we can't control anything in life, and we're just at the mercy of fate. I know it's had an impact on my self esteem, and only recently have I been thinking about how it shouldn't have to be this way. It feels hard to imagine what it will feel like to be mentally healthy for the first time in many, many years. I hope it's possible.

Highlighted

I totally, totally understand where you're coming from. I think right now it can be really exhausting just living our day to day lives, and this is especially the case if you're following the news and everything that is currently happening. I think there's a real skill to balancing your own mental health, and also taking note of/caring about the world at large - but it is something that is definitely achievable. I'm not sure if we've spoken about this before, but you might be interested in joining some political groups that share similar interests/morals to you. Do you know of any groups that you could get involved with that sound like that? They're really helpful, because they're something that lets you make an impact on the world that is bigger than just yourself, as well as allowing you to make friends who have similar interests/concerns who can help support you when you're feeling low or disenchanted about things Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hey @Bento! How are you feeling about the election result? I know it has been an incredibly stressful few days so I hope you’re feeling okay and the result has put your mind at ease!