cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TW: My life.

I home school, so my mum IS the teacher... I have no one to talk to to tell my parents about it. I'm too afraid to speak to anyone, I'm not good at talking in general anyway. Plus, if I tell my parents about all this, then I might never be able to speak to my best friend ever again. Smiley Sad

Hi @AngelJoy , that sounds like it might feel pretty isolating- I'm glad that you've been able to make some great connections with people online though. You sound like a really caring and generous friend Heart 

It can be scary when we have physical pain and we're not quite sure what it means, @Sophia-RO  mentioned asking your parents if you  can see a GP - is that something you'd feel comfortable doing? It sounds like it would be really tough to feel like you can't talk to anyone about what's happening for you - we're really happy that you've found the forums, there's always people here who are here to listen.

Check out our community activities calendar here

I'm not comfortable telling my parents anything. It was hard enough talking to my sister. I only feel comfortable talking to my best friend. I tell him anything and everything. And, it's hard to come on here a lot because I'm not allowed online.

Hey @AngelJoy 

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents Smiley Sad. I remember being a teen - it's such a vulnerable time - and it can be SO helpful to be able to openly speak to one's parents about things that are causing worry.  So, I really feel for you when you say you can't, or don't feel comfortable, speaking to your parents about important things such as your mental and physical health, and that you are worried about losing access to the internet if you were open up to them. I just wanted to let you know that you are entitled to seek and receive both mental and physical health treatment. It must be really difficult having to speculate about what might be going on for you since you can't see health professionals.

I'm wondering, do you have any other adults in your life, such as an aunt or uncle, who you could speak to about your mental and physical health concerns?

I'm very glad that you've come here and shared some of these thoughts with us, and that you have your best friend who you can talk to. Heart

I have been wanting to tell my uncle about it, but I haven't seem him yet. But, I don't know what he will do. Probably nothing. My mum did nothing the last time i told her that I wanted to see a counsellor. And i don't want my mum to call me crazy. 

It is a little concerning that your mum is not taking your requests for mental health support seriously Smiley Sad. We're going to email you now so please keep an eye out for it.

I asked her 2 years ago. Please do not get my mum in trouble for not doing anything. Smiley Sad

Hi @AngelJoy , it's definitely not about getting anyone in trouble, we do just want to make sure that you can access the help and support you deserve Heart  I think I might have mentioned this before, but thought this info may be helpful for other people in the community as well - once you're 15 and over, you're able to get your own medicare card and can see a doctor by yourself if that's something you'd ever like to try . This article also has some super practical tips on how to get help for mental health. 

Sometimes it can feel weird asking for help, especially if it's not something that you really talk about in your family, but it really shows so much strength and courage. 

My sister is nearly 18 and she doesn't have her own Medicare card. My mum has all our names on the one card. I actually was going to ask last night if I could know more about it, so thank you.

I was also told that you could bulk bill so you don't have to pay, is that right? If so, is there a limit to how many times you can do that?

Hey @AngelJoy , 

Yep, some GP clinics bulk bill everyone, and some will often bulk bill young people under 16. Bulk billing means that Medicare pays for your whole appointment, so you don't need to pay a bill to see a GP - you just need a Medicare card. 

There's not a limit for how many times you can see a GP and be bulk billed Smiley Happy 

A GP can also help you do a mental health care plan to see a psychologist - those sessions are limited. 

This article explains some more details about Medicare works and how to get your own card (for young people who are 15 or over). The steps for getting your card are pretty simple - you'll need either your birth certificate, passport or a driver's licence as ID, then it's 3 steps: 

1.  Fill out this form.

2. Bring it in to a Centrelink service centre, along with ID (your birth certificate, driver’s licence or learner’s permit, or passport).

3. Wait for Centrelink to mail you your card.

This page also has links to the forms so you can do it by mail if needed. 

I hope this helps a bit! If your sister is interested in having her own card, do you think that's something you could do together?