cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The struggle with sleep...

Many people go to war with their over-active minds every time they try to sleep. As people living in a first world country we are blessed with the opportunity to have a warm, cosy place to sleep every night and it would be great to take advantage of this. However, there are many things such as assessments, work, family problems etc. which seem to be unbearable when we turn out the lights and are left alone with our thoughts.

Since it is winter I have found it very comforting to sleep with a hot water bottle! Heart I recommend giving it a try. I persoanlly like to put it on my tummy and listen to the sound of the water sloshing inside it Robot Happy

Definitely do Not think about anything you need to do the next day or the rest of the week. Get lost in the warmth and think good thoughts.

However, I am completely aware that this is almost impossible if you have had any recent problems or fights with people. In the ideal world you would both come to an agreement to write down your problems before you go to sleep and in the morning start afresh. There are times when this doesn't work out but writing down reasons for starting afresh or reasons why you are upset will definitely help.

Hugs. Hugs before bed are often a good rememdy. The longer the better Robot Happy

This kids article/website made me smile...you can even listen to the audio version!!!! If music doesn't help you sleep then maybe this robot voice will:

http://kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healthy/body/cant_sleep.html?tracking=K_RelatedArticle

Certain classical music is good to sleep to. I love "The Lark Ascending" by Vaughn Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2JlDnT2l8 

Always stay positive when going to sleep and it is very possible that things will seem better when you wake up.

Re: The struggle with sleep...

If it's bed time and I have a few things on my mind I try to think "Is there anything that I can do about them now?" - if there is I do it and if there isn't I put off worrying about them until the next day. I also try and tell myself that sleep is my highest priority at that point in time, which also helps, together with deep breathing and trying to relax all my muscles.

I meditate twice a day. For 10 minutes as soon as I get home before I start my homework, to get my body relaxed and cleared of stuff that has happened at school that day. I then meditate for another 10 mintues just before I go to sleep. I find that it just calms me down, and I use that time to think about any thoughts so that they don't keep me up whilst I'm trying to get to sleep.

I also make sure I go to sleep and get up at the same time each day - even on weekends! I see that when my sleep pattern changes, even just for a night, my mood is affected for the next couple of days. So, I go to bed at a certain time each night, read for half an hour, meditate for 10 minutes and then turn over and go to sleep - and for the majority of the time - it works! But it's taken me many years to come up with this pattern and finding what works best for me.

I am very happy for you that you have found something as amazing as meditiation and made it part of your everyday routine. Getting into a routine before bed is definitely a good way to get your body into sleeping mode even if it's as simple as . Meditiation is just 100x even better! No doubt you should be proud of yourself. I'm going to look up some meditation methods and give it a try tonight Robot Happy

I close my eyes and listen to an audiobook each night till i fall asleep, although, right now its a russian language cd.....

@florenceforever: Thanks for the reminder about meditation! I used to do it before I went to bed every night but I've gotten out of the habit. I must get back into it again. Thanks for the tip about meditating before you do your homework too - I'll have to try that!

@stripes: How good are hot water bottles?! Love them. I find writing things down before I go to sleep really useful. Knowing that I've got the thought out of my head and can deal with it later really helps.

I have a lot of trouble going to sleep at night. Once I'm asleep I'm usually fine, but because my anxiety is usually worse at night I can have a lot of trouble drifting off sometimes. Some things that help me are having a cup of tea, putting some lavender oil on my wrists and temples (for the calming smell), and writing down what is bothering me. 

Highlighted

@delicatedreamer Do you drink chamomile tea before bed? That's my fav for winding down and relaxing. I also use lavender sometimes too - it's great isn't it? I find relaxing music also helps too.

@Delicatedreamer - yes, I remember whenever I was little and had trouble sleeping my mum put some Marjoram oil on my pillow and a tiny bit on my wrists/neck. So if you want to try another scent maybe give that one a try. To this day I really love it and associate it with my mum sitting on my bed and telling me calming things.

I know she spent a lot of money on the oils (a cheap version with aditions to the original essential oil might have a different effect). So make sure to read the ingredients and buy one you know is as pure as you can get.
If you do end up buying some Marjoram please let me know if you liked it too!! Robot Very Happy

@JustThatGirl: Yes! I love chamomile tea Smiley Happy. I also drink T2's sleep tight blend and lemongrass and ginger. I haven't had a chance to try lavender yet but I really want to! Agreed, relaxing music is a really good way to wind down too.

@stripes: I didn't even realise you could get marjoram oil! It sounds good, I'll have to try it.

I have had trouble having a good night's sleep for a long time. It's not so much not being able to sleep for hours. It's more about the quality of it. I think I'm inherently stressed (even when there is nothing to stress me out at the time) because it's become such a habit that I can't control when I'm in my sub-conscious (when I'm asleep). I have the habit of grinding my back teeth together. When someone is sharing my room for the night, they'll tell me about it the next morning and say that it's quite loud and scary! I've tried wearing a mouthgard (I know it sounds weird) but it's always fallen out sometime during my sleep. Sometimes I try and meditate (just by breathing in and out slowly) before falling down to the pillow and I can tell I have not been grinding as badly the morning after because my gums don't hurt and I don't get a nasty headache. I think meditation is the way to go. I mean, it's become such a habit for me so when people tell me not to stress so much (in response to my teeth grinding) I don't know what to do about it! It is quite a big problem because my teeth are actually getting smaller! Anyway, this is my first time on ReachOut and I just wanted to bless you all for being such a welcoming community! xxx