cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The struggles of applying for Masters in Psychology

Hi everyone, 

I finished my 4 years of psychology (undergraduate + 4th year) and I'm now applying for the Masters of Professional Psychology or Masters of Clinical Psychology.

I've had a few interviews, it was so nerve-wracking but I was so happy to at least get interviewed. 

It's a bit disheartening though because the universities I applied for are interviewing 200 people and there are only 20 spots. 

I'm quite a positive person but I guess I've just been feeling like such a small fish in a huge pond. 

Re: The struggles of applying for Masters in Psychology

Hey @missep congratulations on finishing your honours year and completing some interviews. I am in the exact same boat as you! Just finished my honours this year and currently going through the mess of potential masters/phd courses in psychology. It can be so hard to know how incredibly competitive everything is. I find it helps to remember that even if I don’t succeed immediately, there is nothing from stopping me applying again later down the track! How do you feel the interviews went? Again congratulations, it really is a fantastic achievement! 

Congratulations for finishing @missep! That is such an amazing thing. I think interviews are a source of nerves in any case but especially in such a competitive environment. Do you think there is anything that would be helpful in this situation? Before interviews, I try to remind myself of my strengths to build myself up. Have you applied for many different universities or courses?

Thank you so much @Libellule
It's so true, I have to remind myself that we're all in the same boat and we can only try. Nothing stopping us from reapplying next year if we need to!
I actually feel pretty good about the interviews, like I didn't second guess myself afterwards which is something I usually always do!
But yeah I guess what's meant to be is meant to be Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Thank you so much @Taylor-RO !
Definitely, I totally agree it's such a nerve-wracking experience!
Yup! I applied for lots of universities/courses just to see what I can get into haha. Before interviews I try to just try to stay calm and as relaxed as possible. Easier said than done though haha.