cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's Life After Year 12

Today ReachOut launched this huge campaign called There's Life After Year 12! 

logo-150x1501.png

We made this cool little site where you can see a heap of amazing people talk about their experiences during year 12 and what life is like now! 

We also kind of spammed all of the media places Smiley Tongue

Channel 9 did some stuff and News.com wrote an article for us Smiley Happy and a bunch of papers wrote some stuff to talk about how we need to take exam stress pretty seriously and that it's important to get help! We also did a heap of interviews and will be doing even more over the next few days! 

Check out Hack on Triple J tonight at 5:30 AEST if you want to listen to our CEO chat about it tonight Smiley Happy

So what do you think? 

1. Do you have a favourite story on our site

2. If you could give one piece of advice to someone who is feeling the stress of exam time, what would it be?

3. If you're already past year 12, what's life like, are you doing what you think you would be doing? If you aren't through year 12 what do you think life after year 12 will be like? 

Re: There's Life After Year 12

okay so i dont have a favourite i have five sorry-Osher, Luke, Demi Harman, Andrew Morley and the PM and Melissa Dyle (whoops six favourtie)

The first four because they look so darn happy and the PM cause he didnt pay attention in Maths-yet he is the prime mininster. 

i dont know coz im in year 12 and am one of those people. 

well because im in year 12 its hard to see past it. But i think being an adult is going to be difficult I just hope everything will be worth it

Shall I just refer you to a thread I made on this last year?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hey @hopethepiano and welcome to Reach Out!

Being an adult can be difficult at times, but so can being a teenager! Life after high school can seem a bit daunting and scary at times so whenever you're feeling a little anxious about school, exams what it's like once you've finished school jump on RO and we'll be here to chat and offer our support.

Try to not get too caught up in what happens once you finish school, and try to enjoy and make the most out of this time in your life.

I had too much fun looking through the cool site that you peeps have created!

1. Do you have a favourite story on our site? 

Had such a laugh at our dear PM's and Bob Katter's stories - the music doesn't give them any justice hahaha. But they both have important messages. You don't have to be 100% great at a subject like maths or go to university (and succeed in that) forge your own path or 'to be somebody'. 

2. If you could give one piece of advice to someone who is feeling the stress of exam time, what would it be?

Don't let your grades define you! I know the feels of trying to get that perfect score to get to the place you want to be, and not even knowing what the hell you're doing either. And that's perfectly ok. Heart Life ain't over - it's just beginning. Take a detour, self-reflect and be bold to go on a new adventure Smiley Happy

3. If you're already past year 12, what's life like, are you doing what you think you would be doing? If you aren't through year 12 what do you think life after year 12 will be like? 

Nope. When I was in Year 12, I didn't have a magic fortune-telling crystal ball to tell me what would happen next. There were a lot of things that I didn't anticipate. For a while, I did regret some things here and there. But that's where time and acceptance kicked in to tell me that there's so much more out there. Despite this, the adventures that I've gone on and the people that I've met has made it all worthwhile. 

1. Do you have a favourite story on our site?

Haven't listened to any.

2. If you could give one piece of advice to someone who is feeling the stress of exam time, what would it be?

Don't. Smiley Tongue Remember to stay calm though, orangise yourself, relax, and don't worry about your results. Because even if (and only if!) you don't get the requred score/mark, you can still get to the course you want. It'll take a little longer, sure, but doing another course, then transferring into the preferred course after a year and then viola! Smiley Happy

3. If you're already past year 12, what's life like, are you doing what you think you would be doing? If you aren't through year 12 what do you think life after year 12 will be like?

I'm past year 12, and I cheated. Instead of trying to decide what I wanted to do, I decided to wait a year by going on exchange. I can't really say if it's hat I thought I would be doing because I have no idea what I'd be doing. 

I think that this is an amazing intiative ReachOut are doing, and only wished something like this was around when I completed my Year 12 studies.

In all honesty, all of the stories on this site are great, as it shows that no matter the path you want to go down, Year 12 results doesn't ultimately play the be-all-and-end-all role in it all. Plus it's interesting to see how some of our country's best all had their faults (if you will) when it came to year 12 studies.

2. If you could give one piece of advice to someone who is feeling the stress of exam time, what would it be?

As hard as it sounds, try to relax as much as you can. Whether it be taking a long bath each night before the exam, or going over your notes that final time before walking to your examination room, just try to take deep breaths, and tell yourself it'll be okay.

3. If you're already past year 12, what's life like, are you doing what you think you would be doing? If you aren't through year 12 what do you think life after year 12 will be like?

I finished Year 12 in 2009, and didn't do all that well at all. I was one of the lowest scores in my year at my school, and didn't think I'd ever get accepted into tertiary education. I enrolled in a two year diploma at TAFE and passed that with a credit average, then transferred to university where I am now finishing up my undergraduate Nursing degree, and as of mid-next year, I'll be working as a registered nurse at a major hospital in Victoria. If I can almost completely bomb-out of Year 12 with my results and get this far, it shows that you truly can do anything if you just breathe and consider all the options available to you when the results come out.
This is exactly where I thought I'd be, though I will admit it took a little longer to get to the point I am at now. But life wouldn't be life without all the little detours on the way -- and if I hadn't had those detours, I wouldn't have made amazing friends, professional contacts and all the other amazing stuff that's come along with it.

I thought it was a great thing that there was one from someone who had finished within the past few years!

Your mark is just a number reflecting how well you did on a certain day at a certain point in time. It does not define you. There are many ways to get to where you want to go. Relax and enjoy this time as much as you can

I'm past Yr 12 and didn't get great marks. In high school I had everyone teling me how I wouldn't get into uni if I didn't get good marks, but I let that wash over me as I had explored my options and knew I could go to Tafe and transfer into psychology at uni from there.  I'm now at Uni studying psychology and loving every minute of it- even the essays! Smiley Happy I'm still thinking about what I want to do after I finish my degree, but for now, I'm simply enjoying the process