cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Three positives of today

@Bay52VU well done on solving those problems! Programming/coding is something I think I'd really like to get into, I just have no idea where to start!

My three for today:

1. I actually got some writing done today!

2. I had lunch with my friend

3. I watched the first episode of CleverMan

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

1st positive - exams are done for the year

2nd positive - we are having spaghetti for dinner

3rd positive - my internet was fixed

@letitgo let me know if you want any suggestions or tutorials. Depending on what you want to do with it once you learn, you could check out Khan Academy (they have tutorials on javascript, html/css, and sql).
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

Oooh yes please @Bay52VU, any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated! I tried Code-cademy but I found I'd prefer more theoretical knowledge rather than jumping straight into practise...

Also, my three positives of today:

1. I signed up to NaNoWriMo (and wrote 2,000 words!)

2. I went on the treadmill

3. I had tutoring and my student is super lovely.

@letitgo so you tutor students? What's that like? (it's something I'd like to get into as well)

1. Work was nice today (I'm kind of training a new girl and everyone keeps complimenting me on my teaching, and since I'm becoming a teacher it's comforting Smiley Happy)
2. Had a nice shower.
3. My chips were perfect!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Highlighted

1. Got a $10 discount on my groceries... thanks, Flybuys

2. Did a lot of planning for the next few weeks to keep myself busy & doing the things I really would like myself to do

3. Got through work in one piece without taking an extra, unpaid break

@letitgo Hmm it might be tough to find more theoretical tutorials, because I think a lot of people see programming as kind of a means to an end rather than as an end in itself. Unless you want to start of with the history of certain languages and what their advantages/disadvantages are...

My first question would be – what do you want to achieve by learning it? If you have a goal in mind (e.g. wanting to do complex calculations, wanting to make a webpage, make a game or animation or simulation, build and maintain a database and the GUI that can access it, control another computer process, control a robot, …?) then it’s easier to direct yourself along the learning outcomes to achieve that. Different programming languages are made for doing different things. While you might be able to achieve the same thing in different languages, some have more efficiencies built into them that make tasks easier than in others. Did you try a specific language on Codecademy, and what made you choose that one?

The other main thing to know is that there is a LOT of times where you’ll write something, test it out, and then spend longer trying to figure out why it isn’t behaving in the way you expected. Troubleshooting is something that everyone has to do. Finding and troubleshooting bugs can be frustrating but figuring out the answer can also be extremely rewarding – you learn what you did wrong, what to avoid doing next time, and get the sense of satisfaction from solving the problem. And if you’re anything like me, you’ll get to experience that over and over and over again. Making and fixing mistakes is a great way to learn. If you don’t understand what a line of code is doing, isolate it until you can figure it out and don’t include it in a larger program until you do – otherwise it’s very likely to be a big source of problems that you won’t know how to fix.

Writing comments within your code is great for a couple of reasons – it helps to make sure you understand what the code is doing (otherwise you wouldn’t be able to write the comment on it), it means that if the program is doing something wrong you can try to narrow down the section that’s causing the problem (since each section is commented with what it’s supposed to be doing), it means that you can come back to the code in 1+ years time and still understand what the intent was without painstakingly reading every line in detail and re-figuring out what your intent was at the time, and it means that you can pass the code to someone else and they can understand what you’re trying to do, fix or improve it, maybe hand it back to you and everyone benefits. The time that may seemingly appear to be “wasted” at the start by putting in comments when you already know what it’s doing actually turns out to be saving time when it comes to the longer term lifecycle of the program.

And sorry I have written a giant post, probably none of which was useful Smiley Tongue 

1. Picked up a parcel from the post office.
2. Got some stuff done at work, and helped out another team for a bit who appreciated what I'd done.
3. Cars/trucks were pretty well behaved and (mostly) attentive on my ride to/from work.

@N1ghtW1ng Yeah, I do! It's really enjoyable! One way to get into it is by posting a tutor profile on websites like TutorFinder or University Tutor. People who are looking for tutors can contact you through there. Do you know which subjects you'd like to tutor in?

1. Just made and enjoyed a cup of tea

2. Spoke to my grandma on the phone

3. Had a shift at work that went by really quickly.

@letitgo primary-level subjects most likely. Maths, science, english, music as well.

1. Rescue bots, ROLL TO THE RESCUE!!! Smiley Very Happy
2. Monte carlo biscuits.
3. Reasonable energy levels.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!