cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment Overload?

It seems like a crazy notion but does anyone else ever get overwhelmed by the amount of help that is available now for mental illness?

From sites like RO, online courses, self-help books, support groups, professionals etc. It feels like I'm doing a lot but it's not enough.

I've noticed there are people here who are mods and admin. A lot of these people have join dates of 2-3 years ago. Many have some very wise words and while I can't say I know you guys, I do see that many here appear to have really gotten a handle on the issues which brought them here.

So my question is...how did you do it? Did you feel like you had to wade through a lot to find something that works? How did you know it was working?

I'm at a point where I feel alot of my treatment is just "doing what I'm told" which are things that are supposed to be good for me (and they generally are). However it feels like I'm not entirely in control of my life - and I'm even up in the air as to whether that is a good thing or not.

Re: Treatment Overload?

Hey @nikko 

This is a pretty good question. There's a heap of help and information out there now that we can get access too, and it can be pretty freaking overwhelming. I think when you first start out, what you're doing might not work out for you, and we're not always told that this might happen. A lot of people work in a different way, and what works for them may or may not work for you. 

I think maby stick your fingers in a few pots :3 and give it a while before you decide what works and what doesn't. Personally I tried a lot. I went to a support group for a while but stopped going after feeling seriously awkward all the time haha. And finding all the information online can be really good to begin with, but then you kind of go into overdrive and start diagnosing yourself with everything that sounds the littlest bit similar!

In the end I've settled for building my own support group of friends and family, and a couple of other things that I've found work well.

If you feel like the treatments you're doing at the moment aren't working like they should be, is there anyone you can bring this up with? Maybe they can be tweaked a little to suit you better. As to finding out if treatments are working for you, I think that's more of a personal feeling. Do you look forward to it at all? Or are you dreading it? If they're making you feel better, even if it's a little bit, then it might be good :]

Hey @nikko 

I suppose there are so many different types of help for mental illnesses and avenues to raise awareness about mental illness is because literally anyone can suffer from it and there isnt just one treatment that works for all.

Sometimes you do have to try lots of different things to find whats right for you and even if it doesnt seem to work for a while it can change and prove effective for you. These things often take time and theres not usually a quick fix unfortunately. I suppose if something brings long term changes then it usually takes a while

If what you are doing now doesnt feel right , maybe look for another form of treatment? Definitely not saying to stop what you are doing now but talk to someone, your GP or if you have a counsellor, about what other options are available to you. Or, if you say it is generally doing good, keep at it for a while - it make take a little while to kick in and do its thing?

Sometimes these things are really trial and error, but we have to be careful when it comes to our mental health and essentially out wellbeing and life. its best to get professional help about what else is out there

If you want you can call kids help line on 1800 55 1800, they are geat to talk to, have lots of information and can point you in the right direction in seeking other types of help

One way that I personally use to see how Im progressing with many things is to keep notes, dates, even a journal or some sort of log - when you look back at it its crazy to see how much things can have changed. You can also ask your friends or family to give you feedback about how they think you are doing, or just ask them to let you know when you are doing certain things or have stopped doing certain things

I can see that you are determined in your help seeking to get to a good place or where you want to be and thats greatSmiley Happy Keep it up and keep looking after yourself and Im sure you will find something that works well and gives you the results you are after

In the meantime, let us know how you go Smiley Happy

@Chonty So at the moment I see a psychologist regularly, a psychaiatrist and take both anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication. These things have all worked well in their own ways. The medication certainly has allowed me to actually start doing things about getting better, my psychologist and psychaiatrist are also very supportive and I do look forward to speaking with them.

However those things are all dependent on external forces, so I've been participating in a support group which is currently going through a self-help course as well as an online course run by Macquarie Uni. There is some incredibly relevant information and both of these are focussed on developing different skills. It just seem that there is so much to take in, it's hard to ever put anything into practice.

@hartley_ I definitely think a diary of some sort is a good idea, just as long as it has the right things in it. I have written things down from time to time and they're generally out of frustration. Looking back I generally see what I wrote as just a big vent with little meaning anymore. However in terms of progress I could be better at charting that. Often my psychologist has to rattle off the various things I have done (from the perspective of an outsider) to make me realise that I have changed immensely over the past three years.

Hey @nikko 

just letting you know that I had to edit out your link as per the forum guidelines which you can read here.

I hope you understand.

I also wanted to say that I think your committment to caring for yourself is amazing. You definitely seem like someone who is willing to put lots of effort and energy into their treatment. That's awesome. 

You definitely sound like you are on the right track, thats so great that you are learning to help yourself

It must be a lot to take in, maybe it being so intensive at the moment will help in making the things you learn become good habits and even automatic reactions later on  Smiley Happy

Its great that looking back on past venting shows that at the time it may have been a big deal but once you were past it, it wasnt as crazy as you thought (Is that what you mean when you say it has little meaning anymore?)

You could chat to your psych about things that would be helpful to chart in a journal

Make sure you also list the things you have done over the course of the three years, the things you have achieved and how you have changed Smiley Happy that would be good motivation (Not that you sound like you need it Smiley Very Happy

@nikko you are doing awesome! keep it up Smiley Happy

Hey @nikko 

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Like everyone has said here, there's a lot out there for all kinds of mental illnesses or mental health issues and there definitely isn't one solution that fits all. 

I suppose for me, it comes with the experiences that I've had and the people that I've met. It gave me some opportunities to gage what worked and didn't work for me. When it came to offering support to a friend or even a complete stranger, those experiences also showed me what I should and shouldn't say. I've been in situations where I didn't have rapport with a counsellor or thought they were unhelpful, had a lack of empathy or just thought telling me what to do would be an 'easy fix'.

Talking to close friends helped me the most as well as writing short journal entries. I did feel that I did had to wade through a lot, particularly after a school counsellor betrayed me Smiley Frustrated It took me a very long time to trust a counsellor, a psychologist or even an adult ever again. There was also accessibility too, which made it very hard. I come from a regional town where physical health and having an active lifestyle (a lot of other holistic stuff too along with a huge sports fanbase = =") is a bigger focus than mental health. If you looked at the 70 paged health services directory, we only have 2 mental health services that are specifically for youth Smiley Indifferent 

All treatment comes with progress - slowly, quickly or not even at all. It really is about searching and trying all kinds, rather than just one. As with, whether I knew it was working for me, hmm...bit difficult to describe in words - I guess I just knew; almost like a feeling of inner peace or euphoria Smiley Tongue 

You're not alone in not feeling in control of your life and it can also be difficult when people tell you to chill out when you feel you can't. But keep going! There is definitely many services out there and don't feel afraid to try new things Smiley Happy

@NigioC All good Smiley Happy

That's a good insight @Myvo

It did just remind me of the inequalities faced by rural and regional Australia and that perhaps there isn't a treatment overload as such, I'm just a spoilt city slicker Smiley Tongue I'm also sorry to hear about the difficulties you faced with your school counsellor. When someone you invested such a high level of trust in breaks that trust, I think it's only natural to feel the way you feel.

It does seem to me like despite the services available, there are still basic things that the "mentally healthy" do which are the real key to overcoming mental illness. I'm talking about just having the support of friends & family, maintaining some sort of personal interest or working towards certain goals.

For me, this is probably the sticking point because while I've been able to get the clinical help, I have no true friends and find it pretty hard to talk to others in general; both due to a high level of social anxiety.

Fortunately I do have family who are supportive, but with a mum and brother who also have their own mental health issues, sometimes that support isn't necessarily available. 

Has anyone found something helpful that isn't primarily focused on mental health (i.e. yoga)?

My 'town' is actually a regional city with 500, 000+ people. So I'm also a city slicker but I don't like it for so many reasons = ="

I also get my tongue tied around people, because I'm sometimes afraid of what they may think of me or how they perceive me so I understand being socially anxious.

Exercise or physical activity can be helpful - there have been times where I'd try a new sport or an activity. I did some rowing at uni and it really helped with breathing exercises, my posture and balance. Doing breathing exercises seemed silly at first but it calmed me down overtime. It was quite enjoyable because everyone was a beginner so we were all in the same boat (pun unintended Smiley Tongue). Some people learnt faster than others but we were very encouraging and supportive of each other. It was also a good opportunity to see other parts of the campus and to take in the scenery of the river Smiley Happy