cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Dreams

Anyone know if dreaming means you are sleeping good (my mum says it does). I've never really had dreams, but when my depression gets bad I seem fo get them all the time. Their not always good and have a very powerful effect on my emotions.

Re: Understanding Dreams

@Grake Hm, that's an interesting concept. Usually, I think that dreaming while you're sleeping is not necessarily a good or bad thing. I'm no expert but usually, dreams don't reflect on real life or "predict" anything that might happen, unless you actively go out of your way to do so. 

Are you currently seeing anyone about your depression? They might have some answers about your dreams Smiley Happy 

Hiya @Grake, this is a subject I'm really fascinated by - especially since I tend to have a lot of dreams! I am not a scientist but I know that people tend to dream when they are in the REM stage of sleep, which is the deepest cycle of sleep. So if you're dreaming you know you're going through a full sleep cycle, which is "good" sleep. That doesn't mean you're not going through a full sleep cycle at other times though. Many people just don't remember their dreams!

Here's a really interesting article that talks about the science of dreaming. It's a bit long, but here is the line I find most interesting:

Dreams seem to help us process emotions by encoding and constructing memories of them. What we see and experience in our dreams might not necessarily be real, but the emotions attached to these experiences certainly are. Our dream stories essentially try to strip the emotion out of a certain experience by creating a memory of it. This way, the emotion itself is no longer active. This mechanism fulfils an important role because when we don’t process our emotions, especially negative ones, this increases personal worry and anxiety.

So if you find you're dreaming a lot when you're anxious or depressed, that's your brain actually trying to help you feel better!

Dreams come true

Dream comes true!

Have a fun

fun

Big fun

Super