cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Uni Student Support Squad

Hi guys. Congratulations to you all on how far you've come with uni! Reading all your posts I feel proud of you all.

Similarly to a lot of you I am pursuing a psychology career path with hopes of probably doing clinical psychology one day.

I'm still in my undergrad years but have been seriously thinking about my future in this pathway. After talking to some people (career advisors, mentors and my mum)  I'm becoming more and more open to the idea of doing the masters for 2 years. It opens a lot of opportunities for me and I feel like I would be happy at the end of it all. But I have doubts. Mainly about my ability to do it. I know I am smart, but so is everybody else. And it is a hard journey, very competitive and will take a long time. It looks good now but I'm worried that over time I will lose my motivation and possibly even passion.

What do you guys think? Have any of you considered this path or did you all stop after Honours?

Hey @Ladybug :-)

I did honours last year, and am doing a masters at the moment. I totally understand fearing that you may lose your passion and motivation. I just wanted to remind you or let you know that if you do honours, and research doesn't appeal to you or you find it too difficult, you could do the 5 + 1 pathway instead. This means you do a masters for one year that doesn't involve research, but is about learning all the practical skills and some theory as well. After that one year, you do an internship for a year. I guess my point is that there are always options and alternative pathways, and I'm sure you'll find a way to get where you want. Smiley Happy

Regarding the fear of a loss of passion or motivation, I guess the best thing you can do to avoid that is to look after yourself well. Otherwise burn-out may become an issue.  I think having a mentor in your field is also a great way to stay on track and get some good advice. Do you have any mentors, or do you think that might be a good idea for you?

@MisoBear thankyou so much. I find myself exhausted all of the time that makes things hard too aha
I am being increasingly kind to myself, in the sense that each day i'm feeling better about it and more optimistic about the remainder of the semester.
I try to balance uni and working about 23 hours a week and i'm starting to think i can't keep it up as much as i want the money, you're right, uni has to come first!

@lokifish yeah a lot of psyc students on here it seems! Yayy i have every faith you'll get into honours!
Thankyou Smiley Happy

@Ladybug I've been stressed out to the max about even getting admitted into clin masters - it is so incredibly competitive to get into where i am and i'm worried i can do everything i possibly can and still not get in! High GPA, experience, first class honours and all the rest!

I also worry about things like getting burnt out or losing my passion, and i guess taking care of myself and taking time out are the only preventative measures i can seem to come up with at the moment.

You have what it takes Smiley Happy

Along a similar line...

Does anyone have any tips about getting into clinical masters by any chance?

Thanks guys!

@JanaG I do have a mentor. She was set up through my university and she's good. We spoke about doing 5+1 which is a great option but also very expensive for supervisors etc. I think I'll wait until I'm closer and see how I feel about the research then.

@reach804 I'll try to look after myself, thanks for the advice. And honestly it feels nice to know that I'm not the only one and we can all support each other on the journey. I really hope you get into masters @reach804. You have what it takes too! Smiley Happy

I heard that volunteering in the community can help along with the academic marks. But I'm not sure what else. The competition is steep!

Yay, glad I found this thread!

I'm also a psychology (+ majoring in literature) third year student, looking to do honours next year. I'm a bit daunted reading all your posts because I feel like no one has ever explained to me my options after honours + what to do after. Like I know I probably want to do a PhD or something (if my mental health lets me get that far) but I have absolutely no idea how it works. I barely know the difference between 4+2 and 5+1... Smiley Sad I'm doing quite a lot of volunteering in the area and looking towards an internship maybe next year, but I'm just baffled how I've made it this far without really understanding it all! Smiley Frustrated

Does anyone have any tips for managing mental health with assignments? I've said a lot on the forums before but to explain again last year I had to take a year off uni to focus on my mental health as the pressure around assignment times was getting too much. I have OCD so I obsess over failure and compulsively try to make sure everything is perfect/ avoid the stress/ make sure I hit a set limit of stress to be able to produce the best quality of work. I'm so exhausted having to navigate this awful pattern every single time an assignment comes along Smiley Sad.

I have a learning plan with the disability team that lets me make extensions if needed etc, but maybe the next step might be organising a psychologist visit at the uni. Has anyone had experience with psychologists on-campus? I already see a psychologist but I'm thinking of switching anyway because it's not really the best help for me right now, I find.

@Hozzles 

Seeing a psychologist through uni can be good because you usually get sessions without using up your mental health care plan and they are usually free or very heavily subsidised. Depending on what university you attend they might be psychologist who has studied at that university and are just starting their clinical practice. If this is the case they would be under observation by their supervisor and working closely with them to make decisions on how best to offer therapy to you, hopefully this would mean you get some good quality care! Something to keep in mind though is that often at university clinics, if the psychologists are newly qualified and on their placements there, you may only get to see them while they are on their placement so its more for short term care. Definitely enquire about it though as all universities are different.

It really sucks that your OCD makes it really difficult for you completing assignments, it sounds like you did a really good thing for yourself by realising you needed a mental health break and taking one. It shows that you know your limits and really value your education and your mental health. Is the OCD around assignments something you have discussed with your current psychologist? I feel like there could be some strategies you could learn to help you manage your thoughts around the time you allocate to doing assignments so it doesn't feel so scary doing them. 

Figuring out all the different pathways for after your psychology undergraduate can be confusing and downright overwhelming so you are not alone in feeling that! Is there anyone at your university you could sit down and talk to about it? Different universities offer different programs so it would be good to speak to representatives from different institutions too. 

@Hozzles it can be a very daunting pathway, but a rewarding one. Maybe start with the APS website?  www.psychology.org.au/Training-and-careers/Careers-and-studying-psychology/studying-psychology/Study.... I would recommend contacting student support services at your uni, they should be able to put you in touch with people who can tell you more about further study. 

@Hozzles from also reading the replies you've received - having a look into a uni psychologist might be really helpful Smiley Happy
I don't feel it to the same extent - but i also put a lot of pressure on myself to do well and it definitely can be really hard to come to terms with failing something or not doing as well as you wanted to in an assessment.
What has helped me this semester is the whole 'i'm going to do my best and that's just going to have to be enough' type of self talk. I also tell myself that it's okay to have good days and bad days - we can't be perfect all of the time and we aren't going to nail an assessment every single time either Smiley Happy

@Ladybug i've heard the same thing about volunteering and academics and it's really hard to know where the bar is about how much they expect - i guess we can only do our best Smiley Happy