cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Uni courses moved online

So I just started my first year of uni and we had only had 1 week before classes were suspended due to health concerns with the coronavirus situation becoming more extreme. In the first week of classes, only 2 of my subjects were running and they were just foundation subjects that everyone from the faculty has to do so I haven’t met anyone from my course, or really anyone for that matter. I knew it was going to happen at some point but now that I’ve officially been told that classes are completely moving online I can’t help but feel really bummed that I won’t get the chance to participate in the same way you do in a face to face scenario. I’m not really a social person at all but now I feel pretty upset that I won’t be having the same experience most undergraduates have in their first semester 

Highlighted

Re: Uni courses moved online

Also realising how little I’ll be able to see my girlfriend because we’d made plans to meet up in between our classes and whenever we can because we won’t be too far away from each other but now it’s going to be a lot harder, for us but also just generally to be social at all.

Highlighted

Hey @Rattata

I can totally empathise with how isolating this whole situation has been. I think a lot of people have been feeling really lonely ever since the effects of the pandemic became greater, particularly with the ever increasing need for people to isolate. I'm about to create a thread for ideas on how to connect with others during this very difficult period, so I can tag you there once I make it! 

Highlighted

Hey @Rattata , I feel you!! Uni is my social outlet and whilst discussions still can be held online, it still doesn’t feel the same. I’m lucky that I’m in my 4th year so I did have the opportunity to enjoy the first few weeks of uni and make new friends. So I’m sorry you’re missing out on that. However once we can all go back, this whole situation may be able to bring us closer and make it easier to communicate with people as we’ll all have been deprived of it. Hopefully that will be the case for you. Just think that whilst it sucks right now, this won’t last forever and you’ll have years (I’m assuming) of uni left to build relationships with others.
I’m also sorry you won’t be able to see your girlfriend as often, I can imagine how difficult that will be. Do you think you’ll put more things in place, perhaps online, in order to make time to connect?

Sending love ❤️

Highlighted

Hey @Rattata , I just wanted to check in and see how you're feeling today? 

I know it's been a really intense week for most of us, and I can really relate to how unsettling it must be to have uni moved to online only, especially when you've only just started. 

ReachOut have developed some resources that I know I've personally found really helpful, on how to cope with all of the change and uncertainty surrounding the outbreak, and ways to look after ourselves at home Heart 

Two articles I really liked that I thought may be helpful for you are 10 ways to look after yourself during the coronavirus outbreak, and how to cope with uncertainty 

This is from the second article, and it really resonated with me - 

"

Hold on to your ‘stability rocks’

A ‘stability rock’ is a process or practice that adds something reliable to your life when it feels like things are spinning out of control. ‘Stability rocks’ are really grounding and help you to remember that there are some things that are within your control. Your own routines and rituals will become really important at this time when some parts of your life are disrupted (e.g. school, uni, work).

Some examples of ‘stability rocks’ could be:

• waking up at the same time every day
  • eating regular meals
  • going to bed at the same time
  • doing some form of exercise every morning
  • taking an afternoon tea break
  • reaching out to a friend each day.

My family had a family reunion over Zoom over the weekend, and it was surprisingly lovely to feel connected and "hang out", and share a meal and a drink, even though we are all in different parts of the world/ different parts of Australia.

Do you think organising those kinds of face to face catchups with uni friends could be something that helps a bit? It definitely feels weird at first, but there's something about actually seeing everyone and chatting in real time that helped us feel more connected. 

I hope you're doing okay today. These are really tough times, and the community is all here for you

Check out our community activities calendar for April 2020 here
Highlighted

I’ve been feeling okay. I’ve organised some meetups with my girlfriend previously but with restrictions becoming more strict a lot of our planned meetups and events have been cancelled and I am not able to leave the house anymore. Which is unfortunate because we used to be able to get through it easier knowing we’d see each other soon or having something in the near future to look forward to and now I’m just struggling with REALLY missing each other but not being able to do anything about it.

My girlfriend and I haven’t previously been big on face chatting but in the past two days we’ve been using zoom but I’m still quite sad I can’t physically hug her or anything. I get very upset about it at random periods during the day and night now though because I don’t know when I’m going to be able to see her again. 

Actually a lot of our conversations are different over call and text than in person and lately it has turned into a lot of discussing that we miss each other. I’m starting to think it’s not healthy, particularly given it increase motivation to be productive because I can’t go out and see her, but now I don’t really know what else to say because all I want to do is be with her.

Highlighted

Heh @liv1611, what you say is reassuring but yeah at the moment it really sucks.
We’ve been trying to dedicate specific times to connect over video call and other things so that it still allows us to do our work but so far we have just been on it all the time and have kind of been avoiding the work. ❤️

Highlighted

Hey @Rattata , 

I hear how hard it is to suddenly lose that face to face connection with your girlfriend, and adjust to this weird new world where we are physically separate, but connected over screens. 

I think it's a really astute point you make  about the kinds of conversations you're having at the moment being different, and conversations being different over different mediums. 

I know for myself, I am also finding it a huge adjustment only interacting with a lot of my colleagues, friends and family over phone or FaceTime/Zoom. I'm trying to remind myself that it is still early days, and we are all trying to adapt to this new normal. I do truly believe that humans ARE generally incredible at adapting though, and I think that as we start to come up with new routines and rituals, this weird new world will start to feel more 'natural'. 

A few ideas I've heard / tried myself include things like 

- Setting up your FaceTime/Zoom sessions while you're both eating meal, having a coffee, or cooking dinner together. I have friends who are planning virtual 'dinner parties', where they cook the same recipes together and then eat together! Doing activities while we chat can help make interactions feel more normal and natural

- experiment with doing fun things, like playing games online together, or having 'dance-offs', or in the case of my colleagues, having fashion shows in the morning to show off what we are wearing while we work from home

- Watching a movie or TV show on Netflix together, where you start at the same time and then chat as you watch, or joining a viewing party on FaceBook where you can comment in real time

Do you think any of those ideas might work for you guys? Do you have anything that you enjoy doing together that you think could be modified ? 

I don't say any of this to minimise what you're going through, though - my heart truly does go out to you and everyone else who can't be with the people they love. It's hard, and I know that I for one will never take a hug from a loved one for granted again Heart 

Check out our community activities calendar for April 2020 here
Highlighted

Hey @Rattata

I'm late to this thread but I wanted to hop on because I can relate! 

I'm also in a situation where I can't see my boyfriend a lot just in general (pandemic or not). It's been tough but it got easier over time and we're almost at our one year anniversary. I'm not sure how we managed to keep everything good and see each other the number of times we did, but I can tell you that as someone who has had to mainly see their boyfriend on a screen, it does get easier Heart I want to give you some hope and offer you a positive outlook. 

Some of these have already been suggested but you could do a lot of activities together over Facetime such as cooking, painting, watching Netflix/Youtube, playing the 21 Questions game for quality conversation (I find this particularly fun because it brings up childhood memories that are so fun to talk about and you learn stuff about them you never knew before), finding games on your phone that are multiplayer (we do a lotta mariokart haha), sharing memes (ofc) and lastly, idk if this applies to you, but my boyfriend and I are of the same faith and we often do devotions in the morning together and give each other comfort so we are able to stay calm in a time of anxiety and uncertainty.

Hope these suggestions are fun and helpful for you! Sending love your way Heart