cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

VCE/VCAL/HSC/Whatever it's called in your state

Hey everyone Smiley Happy

So I'm starting (I've kind of already started, it's a long and boring story Smiley Tongue) VCE next year, and I was wondering if anyone else is too. I'm really hyped for it (we'll see how long that lasts haha) because I have really great subjects and teachers. I have a few questions.

What subject/s are you doing?

If you've finished school, do you have any advice for people like me who are getting to the business end of things?

What are your worries/concerns?

What about things you are excited about?

Have a good day, y'all Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Re: VCE/VCAL/HSC/Whatever it's called in your state

Ooh almost at the end @roseisnotaplant Smiley Very Happy

What subject/s are you doing? I've finished school (a few years ago now) but I do remember the subjects I took. They were Drama, Music, Chemistry, Italian, Maths, English and a RE certificate unit. (I went to a catholic school, so it was compulsory). I chose my subjects out of fun rather than a life goal Smiley Tongue

If you've finished school, do you have any advice for people like me who are getting to the business end of things? Don't stress my friends! Smiley Happy It can be nerve-racking choosing subjects and studying hard but the most important thing is to enjoy yourself. Even if you have a set goal of where you want to go, there are plenty of different routes you can take to get there Smiley Happy Enjoy the rest of high school! 

What are your worries/concerns? My biggest worry was having no idea what I wanted to do. (I ended up going on exchange for a year to avoid the decision of uni Smiley Tongue). That and not passing anything but I made it! There's always a way Smiley Wink

What about things you are excited about? Leaving was definitely something I was excited about. Smiley Tongue

What about you @roseisnotaplant

Highlighted

I also chose subjects for fun rather than with any grand plan @N1ghtW1ng Smiley Tongue I'm doing maths, English, English lit (I just had orientation for this today I'm so hyyyyyyped), VET music, and year 12 psychology. I was gonna do year twelve history too but I dropped it because of health stuff, which I'm a little bummed about, but I can do it in 2019 so it's all good.

I'm not really that concerned about much right now, especially since I did a few year 11 subjects this year so I kind of know how everything works. I'm definitely a little nervous about taking on a year twelve subject, but I think it will be good Smiley Happy

I have amazing teachers and subjects, which I'm sooo pleased with. I'm also excited about the opportunity to make new friends, as a few of my old friends have moved away and there are some cool people in my new classes.

Highlighted

Great idea for a post @roseisnotaplant!

Although it's been a while since I finished my HSC I wanted to answer the questions too! Smiley Happy

I remember doing Ancient History (which I loved!), Biology (which I loved too!), Studies of Religion, 2 unit Maths, 2 unit English and in year 10 I did my French Continuous HSC because I  had the option to do that which was cool! 

If you've finished school, do you have any advice for people like me who are getting to the business end of things?

There are so many ways to get into what you want to get into. Please don't feel like the HSC etc is the end of the world. I felt like this when I was doing mine and if I had known what I know now I wouldn't have been so stressed! 

I pressured myself a lot because I was worried I wouldn't get high enough marks. 

I was excited about my new life! After high school you get to choose what you want to do with your life and do what you love! 

Highlighted

Awesome idea @roseisnotaplant!

I finished school quite a while ago now but I did Psychology, Legal Studies, Foundation Maths, Biology and History! 

I know everyone tells you this and so it can be hard to believe but there are other options and it’s not the end of the world. I didn’t get the score I needed so I had to do a TAFE to get into my course. I changed my mind and found a different uni and it had a lower ATAR so that was awesome! 

My worries and concerns were not getting my first preference. I was really hard on myself and didn’t want to accept anything less. I was also worried about getting into nothing! There is always a way though. 

I was excited about getting to finally be at university and to make new friends. I was really proud of myself for getting there in the end!

—————————

Whether you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.
– Henry Ford
Highlighted

The subjects I did were Japanese, English, Literature, History (Revolutions) and Psychology.

In terms of advice, I'd say that prioritising your self-care is so important. I made sure I consistently got enough sleep and didn't study past 9pm, because I knew that my brain wasn't going to absorb anything past that point. For others, the reverse may be true, and that's fine. It's a matter of finding what works for you, and sticking to it.

Another thing would be to know the due dates of SAC's/assignments so they don't creep up on you, possibly by writing everything down in a planner. Talk to friends/teachers about how you're going, and if you want to write X amount of essays, read X amount of pages etc. it might be useful to tell someone that, to keep yourself accountable.   

Ultimately, do your best. That is and always will be enough. 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //