cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Volunteering

I don't know about you guys but I love volunteering. I've made some great memories and advanced career wise because of it. It's rewarding, fun and let's face it, it looks great on your resume.

I think one of the best moments for me was volunteering for Vounteering Queensland. In a creative team I was able to create a game prototype for VQ to encourge young people to volunteer.

But volunteering can come in many forms; for example each year on World Down Syndrome Day I travel into Queen Street Mall in Brisbane to hand out balloons. A simple, yet rewarding experience to spread awareness about Down Syndrome.

Volunteering for me is a stress relief, I always find comfort in helping someone. Be it washing up dishes or lending an ear to someone.

So I pose the following questions:

What are your fondest volunteering moments?

How has volunteering helped you?

There are 2 really great sites that I've used to help me find volunteering opportunities if you’re on the hunt:

Re: Volunteering

I was going to post something like this! Like you, I have a passion for volunteering. After I became injured I had to quit all the sports I played - sport took up my life! For a while there I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself, and I actually quite depressed about it. Slowly I picked myself up and found opportunities to help out the community. Currently I do three things:

1. Volunteer for Amnesty at a weekly market, selling items and promoting the Amnesty actions.

2. Volunteer for the Foothpath Library. This is a free library service where homeless and/or disadvantaged people can take books and either bring them back, pass them on to a friend or simply keep them. A lot of people don't realise that homeless people can't have a library card as they don't have a home address. We go around to shelters every second week Smiley Happy

3. I'm a youth ambassador for the Australia Red Cross Blood Service. Basically I just promote giving blood! I do talks at my school and our Amnesty group makes posters for it.

I've found volunteering an amazing experience and I've made new friends through it! I highly recommend it to everybody Smiley Happy

@florenceforever wrote:

I was going to post something like this! Like you, I have a passion for volunteering. After I became injured I had to quit all the sports I played - sport took up my life! For a while there I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself, and I actually quite depressed about it. Slowly I picked myself up and found opportunities to help out the community. Currently I do three things:

1. Volunteer for Amnesty at a weekly market, selling items and promoting the Amnesty actions.

2. Volunteer for the Foothpath Library. This is a free library service where homeless and/or disadvantaged people can take books and either bring them back, pass them on to a friend or simply keep them. A lot of people don't realise that homeless people can't have a library card as they don't have a home address. We go around to shelters every second week Smiley Happy

3. I'm a youth ambassador for the Australia Red Cross Blood Service. Basically I just promote giving blood! I do talks at my school and our Amnesty group makes posters for it.

I've found volunteering an amazing experience and I've made new friends through it! I highly recommend it to everybody Smiley Happy

I love the idea of the Footpath Library, as a social work student I understand homelessness and the struggles that come with it Smiley Happy

It something you need to try even if you feel unsure about. Because there is a volunterr oppotunity anywhere and everywhere to suit different needs

I'm a newcomer to voulnteering but I really love it! I've only really gotten into it in the past year. At the moment I'm a volunteer student mentor at my uni, and a reading volunteering with the year 2's at my local school. My fondest volunteer moment would be helping one of my mentees with an assignment she couldn't understand and then helping her with some of anxieties about uni. The reason I chose this is because I struggled a lot with uni when I first started and I wished that I had known a more experienced student to talk to about things, so to be able to fill this role for someone else was really special to me.

Volunteering has helped me in lots of ways! It has helped me a lot socially, by improving my confidence in talking to people which helps me in all areas in my life. I've also made a lot of awesome new friends through volunteering. It's also helping me improve my confidence in my ability to function in a work role, and thereby reducing my anxiety about work. I don't work at the moment because it makes me too anxious (and I've been out of the workforce for a while so it's hard to get a job) and volunteering has been a way for me to do some work and improve those work skills in a low anxiety environment and while doing something I really enjoy. I get so much out of it. Someone said to me the other day that I was very generous to give up my time, but honestly I think volunteering does so much more for me than I do for it.

"Someone said to me the other day that I was very generous to give up my time, but honestly I think volunteering does so much more for me than I do for it." -

That's volunteering summed up delicatedreamer. I completely agree.

How did you come across your volunteering experiences?

Yeah, I've found volunteering to be really rewarding. I used to volunteer at a dog shelter and I loved that - the dogs got so excited when it was their turn to get a walk/ play and the puppies were adorable! I've also done tree planting and lots of other types of volunteering. If you're in WA a really great volunteer group for young people is the Big Help Mob - they make volunteering super fun with missions and all - check their website out here: http://bighelpmob.org/.

@JustThatGirl wrote:

Yeah, I've found volunteering to be really rewarding. I used to volunteer at a dog shelter and I loved that - the dogs got so excited when it was their turn to get a walk/ play and the puppies were adorable! I've also done tree planting and lots of other types of volunteering. If you're in WA a really great volunteer group for young people is the Big Help Mob - they make volunteering super fun with missions and all - check their website out here: http://bighelpmob.org/.

Smiley Very Happy
How did you get into volunteering?

@JustThatGirl: Volunteering at a dog shelter sounds awesome Smiley Happy

@snowflake-19: I came across the mentoring through flyers and emails from my uni saying they were looking for peer mentors and I came across the reading in schools volunteering through an advertisement on the Volunteering Queensland website Smiley Happy. There are so many opportunities when you know where to look!

I agree that volunteering is great! Currently the volunteering I'm probably involved with most is as a headspace Youth Reference Group member. I am also a Youth Ambassador for ReachOut.com. I love volunteering for mental health because it's an area of interest and passion for me due to my personal experiences.

In high school I did a bit of volunteering too at a soup kitchen and I also went on the Red Cross Soup Patrol van once. And also did Amnesty Letter Writing a couple of times and helped out a bit with St Vincent de Paul.

And I'm also volunteering again for my uni Open Day, promoting occupational therapy Smiley Happy

@delicatedreamer: I know! Do you know of any other places to look for opportunities? I'll make a list for everyone Smiley Happy

That goes for everyone? Where are some helpful places to look? Fire 'em at me Smiley Very Happy