cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: WW Activity: Good news stories!

This thread is amazing guys!! 😍

@Janine-RO I think your post about the handwritten christmas cards is my favourite - really touched my heart. I wonder how we can get involved.. 

Highlighted
Mental health consumer advocate Indigo Daya and dozens of volunteers have started a grassroots campaign to write letters and cards of hope, compassion and so...

@MB95  I'm glad that story resonated with you, I thought it was such a simple, but brilliant, idea. 

I did a bit of digging and found a hashtag that they use on twitter, #DecemberLetters, that the organiser of the project uses. It looks like she's a mental health advocate with a lot of lived experience - it started in Melbourne but there's now people writing and sending cards from all over Australia. There's a short video on it here

https://youtu.be/fdLT6W642dU

Check out our community activities calendar for August 2020 here
Highlighted

@Janine-RO  @MB95  What a beautiful story! Smiley Happy Reminds me of a volunteering position I saw being advertised a while ago looking for people to write cards for children who were going through a tough time. I didn't know a similar thing existed for patients on psych wards.
I'd love to do something like that one day, especially because the Christmas period is hard for a lot of people.

Highlighted

INCREDIBLE!! 

Thanks heaps for sharing @Janine-RO - she's not wrong when she says the impact can be life changing. Going to keep my eyes open to be part of this next year!! Or maybe theres a way RO could get involved too? I just think it's such a beautiful idea! 

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy  @MB95  isn't it amazing, from what I can see it's a real grassroots movement, and it's such a brilliant idea. A friend shared an article recently about how people don't tend to get sent flowers in the psych ward, and it's so true. What a wonderful way to spread hope and kindness. I'll try and look into it a bit more and pass it on to the RO team to see if it's something that people might be interested in being involved in next year, if you follow the hashtag #DecemberLetters on twitter it looks like a lot of people are doing it from wherever they happen to be in Australia Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hey everyone! 

I love this thread so much, reading through it gives me such a good dose of faith in humanity Heart 

I thought I'd add to the good news stories, with this piece from The Guardian that details some of the beautiful gestures coming from every day Australians in the wake of the bush-fires. If anyone wants an uplifting read it's here

Highlighted

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share a good news story that popped up on my news feed yesterday Smiley Happy

This article was posted by National Parks NSW talking about the hero firefighters that saved our prehistoric Wollemi Pines in Wollemi National Park- the only place in the world they grow in the wild! 

It made me smile to read this big win for Wollemi National Park! 

https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/news/fire-fighting-mission-saves-prehistoric-pines

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Hi guys!

I know it's been a week where a lot of the news hasn't been great, so just thought I would share one good news story that I really loved! 

Wombat close up

The full story is linked here - but basically, it's about how wombats in a hunter valley property that has been ravaged by the drought have acted as "water diviners", by burrowing down to an underground soak, and by doing that providing water to a lot of beautiful native animals that wouldn't have survived without it. 

They somehow managed to burrow down at the exact location where there was an underground water supply, scientists still aren't exactly sure how... "

He said a camera trap recently set up by Hunter Region Landcare Network showed new species including birds, goannas, possums, echidnas, and even emus drinking from the soak.

Mr Finnie, who is a retired Taronga Zoo veterinarian, said the animals had the hero wombats to thank." 

Such a heartwarming story! Does anyone else have any good news stories to share?

Highlighted

This is so beautiful @Janine-RO!!😍

Thanks heaps for sharing 😊

Highlighted

Hey guys! I thought it would be nice to share another good news story, I don't know about you guys but I've found the news pretty tough going this week. SO - a good stories, about humans being wonderful, and baby turtles! 

Image result for baby sea turtle pictures

This actually happened about a month ago, but was so lovely that I just had to share here! I remember hearing about it when it happened - basically, a  green turtle mama (they are a really vulnerable species) somehow got confused, and laid her eggs on a really busy Sydney beach, instead of further north where it's much quieter, and much warmer.  North Steyne in Manly if anyone knows it - definitely not a quiet part of the world. 

So a beautiful group of people painstakingly collected all 144 eggs and then transported them 500km north, where they could hatch safely. 

People crouched on the sand pulling turtle eggs out and lining them up.

The full story is here.

Does anyone else have any good news stories they would like to share?