cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Weekly Wellbeing: Caring for the Environment

Mother Earth GIF by eyedesyn

It's that time of the week again and this well-being activity is all about Caring for the Environment! Some of you may already know that ReachOut use the Wheel of Wellbeing to help guide how we practise self care. One of the aspects of the wheel is "Planet" and that is because we recognise that  our environment impacts personal well-being. 

At times, caring for our beautiful planet can feel like a difficult task but making some adjustments to your life can make a huge impact. There are many ways to care, so we wanted to create a space to share ideas and talk about the positive actions being taken in the world to care for the place we call home Heart 

There are heaps of awesome tips here that can inspire you as well. Before we get stuck into this weeks discussion I wanted to plug an awesome thread that is really helpful when news about the climate/environment gets a little heavy. 

Good news thread is a great place to balance the influx of climate related news. If you feel inclined to share some good news there, please do! 

I'm about to head off to the Climate Change protest in Sydney and will be wearing my ReachOut gear to represent our voice. Being apart of activism is one way I try to care for the planet and it makes me feel good to get involved in big community actions. 

Discussion: 

What do you do to care for the Planet? 

How does it make you feel to look out for the environment? 

Highlighted

Re: Weekly Wellbeing: Caring for the Environment

Just going to tag a bunch of members to get this convo going!

@mrmusic @Hozzles @xXLexi_Lou122Xx @Bananatime04 @Dyl @MisoBear @ecla34 @N1ghtW1ng @Tay100 @ayrc_1904 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

I think this is a really important discussion to have @Bre-RO as this is our world and we really do have a huge responsibility to look after it Smiley Happy thank you for the tag @Jess1-RO Heart

I think the main thing I am aware of in my daily life is to manage the amount of food waste and keep it to a minimum. Also putting things in the correct bins for being recycled and also preventing as much landfill as possible. I know my changes would not be a huge difference compared to the whole world but at least it’s something.

It makes me realise how big of a difference humans have the opportunity to make. Even though not everyone takes this opportunity, it feels good to know some of us are and what we are doing.

Smiley Happy
Highlighted

I agree with @Bre-RO and @Bananatime04 in that the Planet and our environment is so important to not only our physical but emotional well-being. Thank you @Jess1-RO for the tag! Heart 

Personally I try to make sure I recycle and also make sure that I don't have too much food waste as @Bananatime04 does. I think it's a really simple way to take part in caring for the environment. Another thing I do is try to use the car as little as possible. It's often easy to take a quick and simple way out of things. I admit I often used the car for a distance I could walk in about 20 minutes. In the long run, little things like these add up and I saw this post on Facebook that I can't find at the moment, but it said something along the lines of...We don't need a small number of people looking after the environment perfectly. We need millions doing it imperfectly. Again, I don't think this is the exact words but you get the idea Smiley Happy 

It makes me feel happy and warm in the heart. It's similar to what any type of volunteering might make you feel. It's nice to know that you are playing some part in trying to make the environment and the world a better place. Especially now, I feel like it's becoming more and more important to look after the environment for its own sake, but also for the sake of our wellbeing. Many people I know use the environment and nature to help calm themselves when they are feeling upset or anxious. Taking in breaths of fresh air is often helpful, so I feel good knowing that I'm doing something, even if it's small, to help.

Highlighted

Go vegan! Eating a plant-based diet is a great way to live sustainably. My veganism allows me to exercise compassion in all aspects of my life, what I eat, wear, consume etc. With a little know-how, community outreach and a good support network, it's a great way to address the climate crisis in a multitude of ways. Not to mention the food and awesome community, events and global initiatives and the fooood! 

Awesome! When I look after the environment, I look after myself too. In turn, the environment nurtures me too. That's the best kind of symbiotic relationship there is <3 

Highlighted

What do you do for the environment?

I'm a vegetarian and eat mostly plant based foods. We compost at home and I try to buy things unpackaged when I can. I also try and buy most things second hand. Most importantly, I use my voice and vote for parties which are taking action on climate change. 

How does it feel when you care for the environment?

Great, I feel as if I'm living in alignment with my values. 

@Bre-RO  how do we tag random members or people not already involved in a thread so that we can increase the traffic here? It would be great to get some responses here, it's such a great concept!

Highlighted

Such an important topic to discuss, especially after all these extreme bushfires that have been happening!

I try to minimise as much waste as I can when consuming food and buying groceries. It's not a lot but I try my best to avoid using plastic bags and other such unnecessary items when buying food. I also avoid buying drinks that are in plastic cups with straws because it is just so wasteful. I've tried to tell my sister to stop buying bubble tea since it can be easily made at home, but she refuses, so I bought her a metal, reusable straw to use so that plastic straws aren't used.

It just feels good to be able to make a contribution, no matter how big, towards conserving our environment Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Hey @Tay100 could be a good idea to tag new members! You can see all the new people who have signed up on the bar on the right hand side of the screen Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hey @Bre-RO  @drpenguin @MisoBear  @ayrc_1904  @Bananatime04  just wanted to do a quick post asking about how we can take care of our planet on public holidays/events/celebrations like Christmas and NYE, in addition to the ideas discussed previously? Like for example, using eco-friendly glitter, reusable plates, or even a lil something like this.....

Image result for leaf confetti

Image result for leaf confetti

Because I find people are really good at being eco-friendly most of the time but we can tend to get a little lax around events because of what busy times they are, so I thought some holiday-specific suggestions might be good!

Happy Holidays guys x