Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Weekly Wellbeing: Mental boundaries

Weekly Wellbeing: Mental boundaries Smiley Happy

Hey guys, time for another Weekly Wellbeing activity! Smiley Very Happy 

Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

It can be really easy to forget to draw boundaries between different aspects of our life. Work, sleep, recreation, and study can all overlap in ways that sometimes aren't the best for our headspace or for our produtivity either tbh 

Lay Down Mental Health GIF by YouTube

I know that this year, a lot of our daily life is now being done from home. Which means it's super easy to have our hobbies, sleep, work, and study take place in the same spot. This can make it hard to switch off and not feel like we need to be on call 24/7. For example, my housemate finishes work at 5, but sometimes she's still getting calls after 7, because there's no point at which people officially 'go home from work'. 

work GIF

I've seen a lot people talk about feeling guilty for not being super productive in their downtime, but rest and recreation are really important for wellbeing!

Chill Energize GIF by Megnificent Creative

So for this Weekly Wellbeing:
1. Are there areas of your life that are starting to blur into one another? Does this work for you or is it impacting your wellbeing in any way?

2. Can you think of any ways of creating boundaries between R and R, and other committments? e.g. getting changed after school, logging out of your email at a certain time etc.? 

Re: Weekly Wellbeing: Mental boundaries

Yes I love this topic! I'm definitely guilty of feeling bad when I take time off, especially if I still have things to tick off for the day.

1. Are there areas of your life that are starting to blur into one another? Does this work for you or is it impacting your wellbeing in any way?

I do my uni work anywhere and any time I feel like it. It's probably not ideal watching my lectures in bed but it makes me less anxious about completing the work so I'll stick to it at least until I graduate!

2. Can you think of any ways of creating boundaries between R and R, and other commitments? e.g. getting changed after school, logging out of your email at a certain time etc.? 

I set a timer for whenever I need to take a break, and I'm not allowed to do anything productive when the timer is on.

I also don't answer my phone after work but I've been at my job for years so I know I won't get fired for that Smiley Tongue I wouldn't do it at a new job though.

And I put in my holiday notice wayyy in advance so that when the time comes I can't chicken out of taking my break. Pros: I get my break. Cons: I stay broke Woman Tongue But it's well worth it!

Highlighted

1. Are there areas of your life that are starting to blur into one another? Does this work for you or is it impacting your wellbeing in any way?
Being a carer takes up a lot of my time. I often have to do all-nighters because my sister has prolonged seizures (anytime between 1 and 4 hours) which prevent me from getting ready for bed, and she also takes hours to have a shower and get ready for bed herself. I also have to coordinate my volunteering and meetings around her care because her supports come to our house almost every day of the week. I've tried to have naps during the day, but it's hard because I usually get woken up by the supports coming. We've even considered moving house or moving interstate for her care. Last year, her hospital wanted me there all the time too, so a typical day would involve me volunteering in the morning or afternoon and then staying at the hospital until 11pm. I used to do work while in her hospital room, or sleep on the couch.
I wish I had a healthier schedule because I feel like I need a lot of sleep and it's hard for me to concentrate during the day. Tonight will involve another all-nighter because I have to get up early tomorrow for my own stuff, then a support is coming in the afternoon. If I'm lucky, I'll get about 4 hours of sleep between the two things. I know that some people say that being a carer is rewarding, but I would happily trade my schedule for someone else's.

2. Can you think of any ways of creating boundaries between R and R, and other commitments? e.g. getting changed after school, logging out of your email at a certain time etc.?
It's really hard because a lot of my work is done at home, and we also have my sister at home because no hospital is admitting her at the moment. The main thing that helps is getting other family members to care for her while I do something outside of the house that I enjoy doing. I've also been trying not to do work at night and instead use that time for my hobbies.

Highlighted

No, I definitely like routine and having a distinction between relaxation and work. It helps me keep track of what I do to earn a livelihood (enjoyably, ofc!) but what I do for me, and myself alone.

2. Can you think of any ways of creating boundaries between R and R, and other committments? e.g. getting changed after school, logging out of your email at a certain time etc.? 

Do things at different times and spaces, wear different clothes, basically do all that I can!

Highlighted

1. Are there areas of your life that are starting to blur into one another? Does this work for you or is it impacting your wellbeing in any way?

- I feel like my life is just becoming uni and work. Whenever i have 'down time' i just keep thinking about all the uni i have to do. It impacts my wellbeing sometimes; sometimes it is helpful because it helps me to keep on track but others it just gets overwhelming. 

- Stop uni work earlier to give myself time to 'log out' of my uni mode

Highlighted

Studying and downtime has definitely blurred into one being in lockdown in Victoria. I like to go for a walk at the end of the day once I’ve finished studying. Then after I get home from my walk I like to read or watch TV during down time which has definitely helped! 

Highlighted

@November13 sometimes lectures in bed gets the job done Smiley Tongue especially in winter brrrrr

@WheresMySquishy your caring schedule sounds absolutely full on! have you been trying any new hobbies when you've managed to get some downtime? Heart

@Tay100 wearing different clothes is such a helpful one! when i put on pjs it's like an off switch for my brain Smiley Tongue

@sunnygirl606 that sounds like a good way of creating a boundary, it can be super tricky to switch gears sometimes can't it?

@Bingo1234 definitely a mood! taking a walk sounds like a really good physical break between activities -might give that one a shot! Smiley Very Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

@ecla34 yeah it's the greatest, I wear an Oodie hoodie to so it's even better!

Highlighted

@ecla34  Yep, I've been trying to play video games when I wake up and in the evening instead of doing work. What we're going to do is have a break from some of the supports for a while and reduce another support to being every fortnight instead of every week. This also means I can hopefully go out to the shops after I do my volunteering this week. Smiley Happy We just felt that there were too many people doing physical things at the moment that weren't providing much benefit.

Highlighted

This is such a good point and i deeply relate to this. even now i'm having a bit of headache cos everything's been so much "go go go"

I think i went from having nothing to do to having a lot to do really quickly and i've structured things maybe not the best way. so most days i have a lot going back to back, such as volunteering.

It is impacting my wellbeing because i feel like my alertness/stress levels are just constantly on and never fall down. so it's good for me to get back into yoga, go for a walk or just peace out and play a game

2. Can you think of any ways of creating boundaries between R and R, and other committments? e.g. getting changed after school, logging out of your email at a certain time etc.? 

I think between doing things it would be good to peace out, do some cleaning, watch a show or just play a game/read a book. otherwise, scheduling some mindfulness time is really great for me

oh and going to sleep earlier/sitting in bed earlier signals to my brain that i can relax a bit more