cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Weekly Wellbeing: Mental boundaries

@wanderingwasp  yeah I relate- structure is great but if everything is go go go still, it can be hard to catch your breath! How are the efforts to create more rest and recovery for you?

Highlighted

1. Are there areas of your life that are starting to blur into one another? Does this work for you or is it impacting your wellbeing in any way?

This is definitely an issue I have at the moment. Silly me, at the beginning of lockdown I was so bored so signed up to heaps of different activities and opportunities. I love them but now I just feel overwhelmed and stressed! I hardly have anytime for myself. When I do try to "switch off", my mind still races with thoughts. 

2. Can you think of any ways of creating boundaries between R and R, and other committments? e.g. getting changed after school, logging out of your email at a certain time etc.? 

First thing I could do is to have a shower first thing in the morning and get ready for the day. Second, I always make an excuse that I don't have time to go for a walk because I have so much work to do. I need to change this habit because 1) physical activity will improve my mood and calm me down 2) I will probably be more productive if I come back to work later with a clear and positive mindset

Highlighted

Hey @h0peful I very much related to both of your responses, what activities did you get involved in? Good on you getting engaged in stuff though, I also signed up for things and am wondering now how to continue to fit them into my life! What do you do to switch off?

Starting your day with a shower is a great idea. As is going for walks! I started walking everyday when I finish work and it has made such a difference - and has definitely made me feel clearer. What time of day would be good for you to go for a walk?

Highlighted

I love this topic and it's so important but it never occurred to me how important it was until lockdown happened this year. 

1. Are there areas of your life that are starting to blur into one another? Does this work for you or is it impacting your wellbeing in any way?

Separating downtime and study time has been quite difficult because I'm so used to having the option to either study at home and then going out to meet up with friends or study at the library and then spending my spare time at home. When lockdowns first began this was the main issue that I had to difficulties with and it just made everything so much more stressful. 

2. Can you think of any ways of creating boundaries between R and R, and other commitments? e.g. getting changed after school, logging out of your email at a certain time, etc.?

How I overcame this was by setting up regular routines that I would follow every morning to bring back some normalcy into my life. I would also force myself to log off everything uni-related around 5 pm and just spend the rest of the day doing things I enjoyed (meaning playing animal crossing Smiley Embarassed

Highlighted

@Hannah-RO I got involved in a lot of community initiatives and groups so absolutely not anything that I regret! Just a bit tough sometimes to juggle it all. What about you? - what kind of activities did you get involved in?

I think walking in the morning works best for me... I kind of have to force myself straight away otherwise I would probably come up with excuses later on Smiley LOL

Highlighted

@Sunnybear I've gone through the same thing re: study and home life. It can be difficult. However, I'm glad you've got a strategy in place so that you can "switch off". I've never played Animal Crossing before but my friends are obsessed!!! 

Highlighted

@h0peful It definitely took me some trial and errors to figure out what worked and what didn't Smiley LOL Really?! You have to try it, at first I couldn't get into it but once you get going on designing everything and then seeing your ideas come together it got so addicting Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

Ah that is awesome @h0peful ! Good on you - totally true though that it can be hard to juggle. I started doing some volunteering and some kitten fostering which I want to do more of but have to work out how to make it work with my current schedule Cat Very Happy

Walking first thing sounds so good!! I am not a morning person but I very deeply respect those who are! 

Highlighted

@Hannah-RO What made you decide that you wanted to start fostering kittens? I'm the biggest cat person Cat Mad is it hard when the kittens get adopted and have to leave? I know that's the whole point of fostering but I feel like I'll be too attached to let them go!

Highlighted

Oh my goshhhh do it @Sunnybear ! It is the best. I did it once many years ago, then when covid lockdown was happening I had been reading about how its a great time to foster, I was at home a lot and had the space and time. It is definitely hard to say good bye, but it's also lovely to know they are going to make another family really happy - and also all the kittens I had this year were unwell in someway when I got them so it was a bit of extra work! So while it was sad it was also a relief in some ways to pass them on Cat LOL AND it means you can get new ones!!