cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Wellbeing: Nurture A Plant

Water Grow GIF by tarninabarn

There is a growing evidence (pardon the pun)  that connecting with nature does wonders for mental well-being! We explored how being in nature makes us feel in this well being activity.

As much as we know spending time away from the hustle and bustle of daily life is important, it can be really hard to find time to escape to a natural setting. If you’re like me and live closer to a highway than parkland than you know the struggle. 

The good news is that we can still get our nature fix from the comfort of our homes. Creating a garden is one of those activities that tick a lot of well-being boxes. 

• Spending time in the yard, moving your body around and getting some sun is great for physical well-being. (don’t forget the sunscreen!) 
  • Studies show that spending 30 minutes gardening each day lowers cortisol levels which is the hormone related to stress. Research also suggests that there’s a healthy bacteria found in soil that can increase serotonin (the happy hormone) when inhaled. 
  • Gardening with friends or family is a lovely way to connect and being the social creatures we are this is a must. There are often community gardens you can get involved in if you feel like you need to increase your social networks. 
  • The sense of accomplishment that comes from growing your own veggies or seeing your house plant flourish is amazing. You realise that you have expanded your skill set, learnt a life skill and made your environment lush in the process. 

fox tv gardening GIF by Bob's Burgers

So next time you’re at Woolworth's grab one of those seedling kits or pick up a cheap one from your local nursery. You can even ask a friend to give you a clipping of one of their plants to get you started.

Activity: 

Share a gif of your favourite plant/flower! 

Have you successfully cared for a plant or garden? How did it feel when you grew your first vegetable/flower/plant? 

Highlighted

Re: Weekly Wellbeing: Nurture A Plant

@Bre-RO not a gif, but I found this adorable idea for a garden in a mint tin:

I cared for a plant for like 6 months - to a slightly ridiculous extent. I took him outside when I woke up and brought him back in when it started getting cold and dark.

He was doing really well but then went missing (yes, missing - I lost my pet plant) for like a month. It turns out mum accidentally put a used tablecloth over him Smiley Sad

But before he was "murdered", I really enjoyed looking after him. Plus whenever I gave him water I remembered to drink some as well.

I was very proud of him when he started growing a new branch.

Hi @Tiny_leaf,

It sounds like you got a lot from looking after your plant- it can be such a satisfying experience and such a sense of achievement to see it thriving! I am so sorry to hear what happened to your plant. My mum is an avid gardener and she is shattered when she loses a plant she put a lot of love into, I can imagine you were also feeling that way! Heart

Do you think you would grow a new plant in the future?

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

@Jess1-RO this post made me want to try growing something unkillable - like moss or something.

But then I got distracted by aquatic plants and now kinda want to set up a small aquarium for them.

And then I got distracted by the different kinda of aquariums there are and what I might put in it and how filters work.

So probably I will once my brain calms down and stays on the task of figuring out what plants would work.

(btw did you know that not enough people appreciate cold water fish?)

Great activity for this week! I love plants, and even though I live in an apartment, my family and I like to grow plants inside our home and on our balcony!

There are so many plants that I love!

440px-Indian_pipe_PDB.jpg

This is an indian ghost pipe plant, it's parasitic and doesn't have any chlorophyll, so it's completely white!

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 7.47.21 pm.png

I also love orchids! They're really elegant and are great indoor plants!

Have you successfully cared for a plant or garden? How did it feel when you grew your first vegetable/flower/plant? 

In middle school I remember getting seeds from a capsicum we ate at home and I put them in a pot of soil. The seeds started growing into small plants and it was super exciting to see them gradually grow taller and taller. One time the capsicum plant started having flowers which then started to turn into tiny little capsicums! The capsicums didn't grow very large though since the pot was small, but it was really cool to see it grow vegetables! Smiley Happy

This is such a great activity! I've volunteered in some places that have a lot of plants or a garden. A lot of the people I volunteer with have found being around the plants therapeutic. I think it really improves their wellbeing.

These are some of my favourite flowers:

brunfelsia-pauciflora_brunfelsia-yesterday-today-tomorrow|
We have them in our front yard. I think they are called Brunfelsia. They have a nice smell.

We have tried growing a few plants over the years. I'd love to grow some more.
We grew strawberries, cucumbers, lemons, tomatoes and some other fruits, but some of them died. The lemon tree has survived to this day though.
It was so much fun to watch the fruits grow! I think that watching a plant grow can be very relaxing.