cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Weekly Wellbeing- Soul Food Recipe Exchange!

Weekly Wellbeing Soul Food Recipe Exchange

I know a lot of us are currently spending a lot more time at home than usual, and with everything that's been going on I know that I have been cooking a lot more for my family! 

One silver lining for me has been that I do have more time than usual to spend cooking, and I have been really enjoying getting out some old cookbooks and experimenting with new recipes. 

Food is also something that can bring us together, and eating good, nourishing food is amazing for both our physical and mental health. 

Hungry Full House GIF

So, with all of that in mind, we thought it could be nice to have a recipe exchange thread here! 

Activity:

1. Share a recipe

2. It would also be lovely to hear a little bit about what the recipe means to you - is it your favourite meal when the cupboards run bare, or did your nanna used to make it, or does it remind you of a holiday? 

Hopefully we can not only find some new food inspiration, but also share a few stories about what different meals mean to you. 

Bob Saget Family Dinner GIF by Fuller House - Find & Share on GIPHY

I'll post my first one to get us started in a few minutes... 

And remember, it can be absolutely anything - sweet, savoury, simple, a labour of love that takes hours. Whatever you like. Looking forward to seeing some yummy recipe inspiration! 

Check out our community activities calendar for June 2020 here
Highlighted

Re: Weekly Wellbeing- Soul Food Recipe Exchange!

Can't wait for all the food inspiration! 

Tagging members who have been in the hanging out section this week! @that_girl_ @mrmusic @Tay100 @YungFury_ @Khajiit @Symphony7 @WheresMySquishy @JazzInMay @Bee @lokifish 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Moroccan sweet potato, carrot and chickpea soup

OK - my first one is pretty simple, it's a Moroccan Sweet Potato Soup. I base it off this recipe here but make a few tweaks 

Cheap, tasty, super simple especially if you have a slow cooker or pressure cooker and really good on cold nights.... soup always reminds me of my Nana, who passed away 18 months ago at the ripe old age of 95. She would always make us soup with heaps of buttered toast fingers when we had sleepovers at her place in winter, and I feel instantly comforted when I make this soup!

Ingredients 

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  •  
    1 large brown onion, roughly chopped (I also add 2 spanish onions. I really like onion)
  •  
    2 garlic cloves, crushed (use the stuff in jars if you are feeling lazy)
  •  
    1 teaspoon ground coriander (I double this)
  •  
    2 teaspoons ground cumin (I double this too)

Also usually add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon

•  
    1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (I also add some fresh chopped chillis at the end)
  •  
    600g orange sweet potato, peeled, diced
  •  
    500g carrots, peeled, sliced
  •  
    6 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
  •  
    300g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
  •  
    1/2 small lemon, juiced

Method

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add sweet potato and carrot. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. You can use a pressure cooker or slow cooker on low heat too -will make for a very tasty soup. 

Add chickpeas to soup and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until chickpeas are tender.

Blend soup, in batches, until smooth. Return to saucepan over medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Heat, stirring, until hot (do not boil). Ladle into bowls. Top with croutons. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve.

Check out our community activities calendar for June 2020 here
Highlighted

So I love desserts, they make me very happy (especially if chocolate's involved). The first recipe I'll share is one I found when we moved to my current house about a year ago (which was a big and really positive life change, and we hope to be here a long time). The house has an avocado tree, which means we've often been overladen with avocados. So I found this recipe for chocolate avocado mousse 😁 It's often my contribution if we're bringing something to dinner at someone else's house or having people over for dinner. Here's where I first got the recipe from: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/10/15/avocado-chocolate-mousse-vegan-healthy/

Ingredients:

-flesh of 2 ripe avocados

-1/4 cup melted chocolate

-1/4 cup cocoa powder

-1/4 cup pure maple syrup

-3-4 tablespoons of milk

-drop of vanilla essence

-pinch of salt

Method:

Blend all the ingredients together (I use a stick blender in a bowl). Optional: grate some chocolate and sprinkle on top. Chill in fridge for an hour before serving. Serves 4

Highlighted

These recipes sound amazing @Janine-RO and @hellofriend!

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

I also LOVE milkshakes (always chocolate). Through some experimenting my husband and I found that milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup and very ripe banana (ideally frozen) blended together makes a great, fairly healthy chocolate milkshake! The banana makes it thick and frothy ☺️ the quantities are never exact, but I usually do one banana for just me, 2 if it's for someone else too. And I just guess and taste test then adjust for all the other ingredients. We've also found this works with an avocado instead of a banana, making more of a thick shake than a milk shake. (Have never frozen the avocado though). We love these as afternoon tea (funnest way I've found to consume a serving of fruit and a glass of milk).

Lastly, this chocolate mug cake is so tasty and I find super helpful for when executive dysfunction issues make eating hard. https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/5769-moist-chocolate-cake-in-a-cup

Some changes I make: usually don't put the choc chips in (because we usually don't have any as they're unlikely to last long). And I cook it for like 50 seconds then start eating pretty much straight away, because I prefer it mostly cooked into cake but still with some hot goopy chocolate sauce like a pudding 😁

It's good for my executive dysfunction because all the ingredients are things we generally have in the cupboard so I don't need to shop, it doesn't require many clean dishes, I'm excited about eating it so that's motivating, it takes less than 5 minutes, and it kind of feels like an achievement baking something when doing most things feels really hard.

Highlighted

My favorite recipe is a really easy mac and cheese.

You put pasta and water in the microwave for five minutes, drain out the water, and add in milk, cheese and a bit of flour, then microwave it for another minute.

It's really good with salt and pepper, and it also works well with vegan milk and cheese if you don't eat dairy.

Highlighted

Gasp!

[Insert very French-sounding words]

Wee wee! We must get to work, my duty calls once more! A food, a dish, a moment of desire! I shall make you feel like a world-class chef!

First! We grab 2 delicious pieces of pre-cut bread and gently slide it into a toaster. Inside, this device will warm our bread with all its love until its golden brown or accidentally burnt. At the moment it pops up with joy, pray it doesn't go flying and land into the bin. The chances of it happening are low, but it is never zero!

And then, we grab our beautifully toasted bread, hold it in the air like an angel and rest it upon a plate.

After, we grab a knife and spread waves and waves of Nutella, ready for our taste buds to explore! A chef must taste their food. Take a bite, indulge in your creation. Perhaps more chocolate might dive us further.

And now we add the islands ready to be explored. Banana. Peel. Chop chop chop and place it along our chocolate ocean.

And for the finale! Milk. Milo. Marshmallows. And let the microwave warm our chocolate and melt the marshmallows like a fallen snowman.

It is ready now and our soul shall dine like a goddess.

--

All we did was make toast with nuttella and bananna with a choc marshmallow drink. But I bet you I made it sound world-class!

Highlighted

@Jess1-RO  thanks for the tag and great idea @Janine-RO ! I'll try think of a recipe sometime soon Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I actually don't know the exact recipes for these foods, but here are some traditional stews in my family:
Bamia 
Fassoulia Beda (white beans)
Mulukhiyah 

They are really simple to make. We almost always serve them with rice.
My grandma passed the recipes onto my mum, but I haven't eaten them in ages. I think that everyone in my family who makes them use a slightly different recipe. They never taste exactly the same if different people make them.
I'll try to think of some more.