cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Weekly Wellbeing- Soul Food Recipe Exchange!

I love making overnight oats! Such a simple breakfast you can pretty much put anything in to change it around, and it's always great making breakfast the night before so you don't have to worry in the morning!
download (14).jpg
All you need is a mason jar, one cup of rolled-oats, one cup of milk (I use coconut milk and it works well) and some mix-ins of your choice (peanut butter? Chocolate? Fruit? anything!). You mix it all up, then leave it in your fridge overnight so the oats absorb the milk. You can eat it cold or warm it up (transfer to a microwave-safe container, though!). So easy!

Has anyone else tried the viral 'whipped coffee' trend yet? I tried it for the first time today with both coffee (I don't really drink coffee anymore, but it was okay!) and chai. I don't have an electric hand-mixer though so mixing it manually took a while. Smiley LOL All you need is a tablespoon of instant coffee or any powdered drink mix, a tablespoon of sugar, and a tablespoon of hot water. Whip all this together until it's nice and frothy, then scoop it onto a glass of cold milk. Easy, yet so fancy!
maxresdefault.jpg

In high school I used to always make chocolate-chip cookies in a mug, but I haven't in a while because I keep forgetting to buy chocolate chips. Smiley LOL
1MinuteChocolateChipCookieMug-2.jpg
Copying a recipe from here:

INGREDIENTS:

1 Tablespoon butter

1 Tablespoon granulated sugar

1 Tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon (pinch) salt

1 egg yolk

3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

1-2 Tablespoons chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:

1. Microwave butter in a mug until melted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. With a spoon, mix in sugars, vanilla extract and salt until well-combined. Mix in egg yolk until no traces of the yolk are seen. Mix in flour. Fold in chocolate chips.

2. Microwave on high for 40 seconds, or a maximum of 50 seconds.

Highlighted

@Hozzles  I wanna perfect whipped coffee so bad but the manual whisking always gets to me, even when I use a whisk. Any tips? It looks so good!

Highlighted

Oo one recipe I've recently gotten into making is hummus! It's truly a great breakfast and snack food that I usually put on toast! When I was much younger I used to eat nutella on toast every day and by university I switched to using peanut butter as a healthier alternative. Now I've decided to try an even healthier alternative and putting hummus has definitely made my breakfast meals more enjoyable! 

Hummus is quite healthy and so so simple to make, requiring absolutely no skill if you have a blender Smiley LOL !

My simple recipe:
- 2 cans of chickpeas (drain the juice from one can)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (I like putting a lot of lemon juice because I like the sourness)

- 1/4 cup tahini

- 1 clove of garlic (you can of course add more but I don't prefer a strong garlic taste)

- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

- 2 tablespoons olive oil

- pinch of salt

- (optional) 100g sundried tomatoes (gives the hummus more sweetness)

- (optional) 1/2 can of sliced beetroot (makes it pink! and beetroot is super healthy)

Essentially you can just chuck them all into a blender together and be done with it if you don't have too much time to make it Smiley Very Happy! Otherwise, add the tahini + garlic + lemon juice first and blend, and then add the olive oil + cumin + chick peas and continue blending until you think it's smooth enough. You can add sundried tomatoes and sliced canned beetroot afterwards for a more tasty hummus, but it's totally optional!

Finally, serve with sprinkles of paprika and drizzles of olive oil to your discretion!

Highlighted

@drpenguin woooo this looks so good, I am addicted to hummus! Would it work if I add everything to a nutribullet, do you think?

Highlighted

I am loving all of these recipe ideas so much! 

@WheresMySquishy  all of those stews sound delicious, do you have a favourite one? I might try and give one of them a go this week, I managed to stock up on herbs and spices at last over the weekend, and I'm pretty sure we have the rest of the staples on hand. Sounds so good, and I love recipes that have been passed down through families. 

@hellofriend  I am so jealous of your avocado tree, I love avocadoes so much - I have never tried making mousse with them but have a friend who swears by the avocado and chocolate combination, so I might have to give it a try, I'll let you know how we go!

@drpenguin I am mildly obsessed with beetroot humus, but I'm embarrassed to say that I've never actually tried to make it myself. I usually get the Aldi one, but I really need to try to make it at home these days. @Tay100  I reckon a nutribullet would be fine for humus - have you tried it yet? 

My latest cooking on the weekend was in no way healthy whatsoever but was so much fun - a chocolate mudcake, with chocolate buttercream icing, for our little boy's birthday. Really tasty and lots of fun to make! 

Check out our community activities calendar for April 2020 here
Highlighted

@Janine-RO  I think I used to like fassoulia beda the best.
They have some unusual ingredients so good luck with making them!
I asked my mum if she knew some other dishes and she told me about these ones:
Bazella 
Koshary (this recipe is different to how my grandma makes it though) 
Macaroni (we call it something different) 
Tabbouleh
Baba Ganoush
Labneh (one of the nursing home residents taught me how to make this too) 
Kibbeh (neither of us know how to make this like my grandma does though) 
Kofta 

Highlighted

@Janine-RO  heyya, I really want to but I'm wondering if a nutribullet would be strong enough? Like will it burn out the motor? I have a small one that's really designed for smoothies and not heavy duty blending. I shall investigate!

Highlighted

Hmmm @Tay100 , how about trying with a small quantity first, and doing it in batches? I would imagine if a nutribullet can handle a juice or smoothie it should be okay with chickpeas, but maybe just be careful of not doing too much at ones (NB I am in no way a super experienced cook with this stuff lol!)

@WheresMySquishy  these all look really tasty! I'm a bit sad that our local grower's markets aren't on any more because I could  have got some okra from there, my husband used to eat it in the USA but I have never cooked it. I might try the white bean stew (but with slightly different beans)

I made a version of this recipe the other weekend - it's a sweet potato, leek and feta tart

Overhead shot of a baked Sweet Potato, Feta & Caramelised Onion Tart on a wooden board.

I cheated and used frozen filo pastry instead, and sweated down the leeks first/ caramelised them with a bit of balsamic vinegar and butter. It was so tasty - I love some autumn comfort food! 

Highlighted

Ooohh @Hozzles  those mug cakes look amazing ! 

I hadn't heard about that 'whipped coffee' trend, but weirdly after I saw this yesterday, I saw an article on social media about someone making an alcoholic version of them. I'm pretty devoted to my normal flat white but it looks like it would be fun to try. 

Overnight oats are such a good idea - a friend makes the most delicious bircher muesli ever, but I always forget to get organised the night before. These look so good, do you have any favourite flavour combos? 

Highlighted

This thread has given me some serious inspiration for dinner tonight! 

Also, @WheresMySquishy I'm sooo happy you linked the recipe for Koshary - I ate it every day when I went to Egypt a few years ago and I'm really keen to try and replicate it.