cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Weekly Wellbeing- Soul Food Recipe Exchange!

@Janine-RO  Coles and Woolworths used to have okra, but I don't think they have them any more. Smiley Sad We used to get some from Arabic grocery stores.
I hope you like the dish!

@Bre-RO  That's so cool that you've been to Egypt! I went to Egypt for about a month when I was five. I got to sit on the bricks of the pyramids (this is probably banned now, which I support) and we also went on a cruise down the Nile. Funny story about that - I hid behind a curtain because I was secretly playing with my mum's makeup and everyone thought I had fallen overboard because no one could find me for ages.
My family wants to go again, but I think once is enough.
According to my mum, the macaroni in koshary is optional. My grandma doesn't include it. Some people also put fried onions on top.

Highlighted

It's so cool that you went too @WheresMySquishy that such a cool memory to have about the pyramids. My dream was to see them since I was little, I couldn't believe it when I was actually there. One of my fondest memories! I love the fried onions on top and the garlic sauce...yummm! Also, I bet your family were so relived then they realised you were just hiding and not somewhere lost in the nile Smiley Surprised 

Highlighted

My soul food would have to be a dish my Baba (grandmother) used to make every time she came to visit. When I got older she taught me how to make it too! Baked stuffed peppers are so simple to make and it's great for meal prepping. There's a good recipe here that can also be adapted for vegans/vegetarians. 

Highlighted

These recipes look so good, I am almost droooooling Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised

One of my fave dishes is a burrito bowl:

Here: https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/quick-vegetarian-mexican-bowl-recipe/vzx16jgh

Ingredients:

1 tbs olive oil

1 brown onion, finely chopped

1 red capsicum, seeded, sliced

I use 500g beef mince

40g pkt Mexican seasoning (found with the burrito/taco mixes in Coles!)

1/2 cup mild tomato salsa

Rice - I cook my rice & I have no idea of amounts, I honestly just guestimate

400g black beans, rinsed, drained

1 avocado, stoned, peeled, sliced

250g cherry tomatoes, halved

Tortilla chips

Sour cream

Coriander sprigs

Method:

1. Head oil in large frying pan over high heat. Add beef mince, season with salt & pepper and, until browned. Add Mexican seasoning and combine. Add onion and capsicum and cook until softened. Add salsa and 1/4 cup water, reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens

2. While cooking meat, boil water in a saucepan for rice. Salt water. Add rice. Keep an eye on rice, and drain when ready. Add the beans and stir to combine.

3. Divide rice mixture and mince mixture among serving bowls. Top with avocado, tomato, tortilla chips, sour cream and extra salsa. Sprinkle with coriander.

Very delicious!!!