cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird family problem

Hi, so I have a problem that's a little weird, but I was hoping that some of you might be able to relate and maybe give some suggestions? I dunno it's cool if not Smiley Happy

But yeah okay so my home life is the typical 'happy suburban family': my parents love me, and they aren't deliberately mean or cruel - but for some reason I just can't talk to them, especially my mum. The family atmosphere is awful when I'm there; no one's comfortable, no one's talking, they seem to ask all the wrong questions and I never seem to have the right answer. 

Talking to them makes me so incredibly nervous; I couldn't breathe tonight after having dinner with them, and I've been spending as much time as I can away from them. 

From the outside there doesn't seem to be a clear reason for why things are so crap, but my relationship with my dad is fraying and my relationship with my mum is gone, and I just don't know what to do to fix it when I can barely talk to them. 

And I know this post is getting on now, but I figure if I'm going to say one thing then I might as well get it all out there: this is an especially bad time for me, mental-health wise. I'm struggling to establish a support system and currently have only one person (a very dear friend) that I can rely on to help me. I can't tell my parents or even ask them to let me see a psychiatrist because of reasons, but, even if I could tell my mum and dad, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. Their current attitude towards me is not helping my situation; in fact, it's a major factor of my bad mental state. I've tried to fix things with them multiple times, but nothing seems to stick, and at this point I've come to realise that I just want to get out of there. 

I was wondering if anyone's had similar experiences, and, if so, what did you do? I can't seem to work out a way to do anything about my situation. If anyone has any advice, I would be so incredibly grateful Smiley Happy sorry for the long post, and I hope that everyone's life or mental state or situation is getting better, even if the progress is slow. You got this Smiley Happy <3

Re: Weird family problem

Hey @no_pepperoni_, thanks for sharing your story here and welcome! The whole feeling of talking about our problems is generally uncomfortable to a whole lot of people. Not everyone talks to their family about their issues for a whole wide range of reasons. So in this regard, it is important to consider whether you just feel generally uncomfortable or whether telling your family is going to be a hurtful experience.

The most important thing to consider is telling your family to receive the support you need. Whilst you don't have to tell your family about your problems at length, it sounds like you need to let them briefly know in order to get professional help which is very important. You could briefly mentioning needing more support but preferring to talk about it with someone who is unrelated. What do you think? 

We also recommend services like eHeadspace and Kids Helpline which have webchat and provide professional counselling Heart You can even chat to them about this particular topic before deciding on what to do!