cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do when centrelink won't help me with jobactive as I am ineligable

I've been looking for work for a year now. I have tried asking places if they could give me work experience with no response. I don't have any retail experience, no bar experience. I have only worked at one place for the past 2 years. My pay is only $13 an hour and I can't afford to go out and look for work. My parents never taught me how to drive so that is a problem as well. It just keeps getting me down, I actually want a job unlike most of the doll bludgers they should at least help me I need another job. I can't afford to go out as often and that's only going to have me still stuck in the same position without any friends like I've been for the past 6 years. I can't even fake my happiness almost everyday I've been crying because I know I'm so alone and no one is helping me get a job I've changed my resume my resume, been to a few interviews but they only wasted my time as I didn't have the bar skills. They lied to me, I never stated I had bar skills in my resume. What am I meant to do lie about working in a bar just to get a job? I already lie about hanging out with friends (they don't even exist) why can't someone give me a chance? How do I get help when Centrelink won't help me unless I am eligible to take the tax payers money? I try so hard only to get no where, I've been more down since I got a boyfriend like I'm never going to have friends. I was used to going out by myself but now the thought of it makes me feel like crying

Re: What do I do when centrelink won't help me with jobactive as I am ineligable

Hi @Hicks, sounds like it's getting really frustrating for you and you're feeling really down. unfortunately this is a normal part of job hunting. It can take a while! 

Have you had someone have a look at your resume and see if there's anything you can change? There are a lot of templates online too!

Sometimes handing out your resume face to face may work better since you get to make an impression and show you are keen. Perhaps trying it somewhere close to home since you're not driving at the moment? 

If things are feeling too overwhelming at the moment please do give Kids Helpline a call (1800 55 1800).

-Lina/RO 

Re: What do I do when centrelink won't help me with jobactive as I am ineligable

Hey @Hicks
I feel you! I know how hard the job search thing can be. I've been in and out of work for the past few years. I've currently been unemployed for 6 months and still looking! (I left a job for a new one and they let me go after my 3-month probation due to, a huge misunderstanding and rumours)

There are places you can go to that aren't linked with Centrelink and some that are that you don't need to be receiving Centrelink to be eligible to use. These will vary based on your area though, so maybe having a look around town at the job search agencies and even approaching them and finding out.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

yeah I have been down to them but without a place that can get me work experience in a bar I will not progress with my applications. As I only have waitress experience I can't get much as I have tried to get a job in retail as well which essentially is the same as what I'm doing. I have changed my resume multiple times as well. I think people just don't like me to be honest. They probably know I have no friends and care too much about their image. I feel it's more they just don't like me than anything else. I don't really have good communication skills as I rarely talk to people. I only talk to my boyfriend and people at work but it hurts when they get cross when I serve them as I'm not indian. England actually has courses to help people get into work why don't we have that here for everyone?

Hey @Hicks job searching is often an incredibly difficult process Smiley Sad I do think we should have more programs like the one you mentioned in England because there's so many people who want to work or work more but can't because getting a job is so tricky! I used to be a waitress and actually got a little bit of bar experience through that. Have you been applying for waitressing jobs too or just bar work lately?

Hey @Hicks, just wanted to check in. How are you doing?

I can definitely sympathise, getting a job is really tricky! Smiley Sad

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

@Hicks that sounds so frustrating!!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Still not really getting anywhere, I need a job so I can buy food to eat as my parents fail to buy much food. Some days I don't eat at all and it sucks I just want to get a job already so I can eat properly but centerlink won't help me at all because my parents have assets 

The assets thing can be really hard with Centrelink, can hear how frustrating this is for you  @Hicks I am so sorry to hear about this. Pretty concerned you are not getting any food, am I right that your parents don't have any food for you at home? Let me know Heart

Centrelink is fucking shit, they took away my payments too, literally for no reason for it and I have been waiting 12 weeks to get it back
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//