cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your reaction if someone you see on the street, come up to you and compliment your look?

Every since when i was a kid, old day chivalry always give me a burst of inspiration whenever I see it. Like holding a door for another person, letting someone to go ahead of your in a crowded place. But for me, the very top the list is: Complimenting someone on their looks on the street. I have done it when i feel the situation is right, and the reaction was always good. My friends however thought it was a bit weird and imappropriate.

So what's your stance on this? What would you feel? and do you think its alright?

Re: What's your reaction if someone you see on the street, come up to you and compliment your look?

Hey @lovin each day

Hm, good question. Personally, I think it's A-OK to compliment someone on their looks. I've done it too, especially if they're wearing something awesome (i.e. a funky skirt/dress/shirt, etc.).

From your friend's perspective, I can see where they would think it's weird and inappropriate though. We do live in a very image-heavy society, where what you look like plays an unfortunate, significant role in irrelevant everyday decisions. I also believe that from a young age, we're taught to be modest and not be a proud, brag-bag. So when it comes to compliments, people are unsure about how to react (i.e. we either play it off - "Oh this old thing?! Nah, it's nothing." or we quip an awkward "Thanks" and scurry away). 

There's also terrible, horrible cat-calling and I think that also makes people panic, mad and/or self-defensive. Due to this, some people who have experienced this may not appreciate any stranger coming up to them on the street to compliment them. 

But don't feel discouraged! What you're doing is amazing! You're spreading good vibes all round and the compliments can really make someone's day. As you've said, you've been careful with the timing and situation so that the goodness of your kind-hearted charm doesn't de-escalate. 

As long as you're being respectful towards the person, you should be all good Smiley Happy  But if someone isn't really feeling those good vibes from you, don't take it personally. We tend to judge ourselves by our intentions, but others by their behaviour. So we can't control how someone interprets our good will. It's always important to note that a person should not be solely judged on their looks, as there are so many things that make them who they are. It's what's on the inside that counts! Heart

Re: What's your reaction if someone you see on the street, come up to you and compliment your look?

I think it's a very kind gesture @lovin each day

I've done this before too. Sometimes I just can't help it - I'll love someone's clothes/jewellery/nails so much that I HAVE to tell them! I've had the same done to me before too and it's felt nice. 

@lovin each day it's interesting you say that compliments ar no.1.  I'm personally the opposite and open doors for other people, let people go ahead of me, give unimportant test answers etc. but don't really speak much.  On public transport I occasionally start conversations but most convos I have are started by the other person.

Interesting question. I prefer giving compliments on something that the person has obviously worked on, like a unique hairstyle or particular accessory, etc, rather than passing comment on their looks.

This is actually something I've been trying to work on lately; instead of saying in my head 'I like your shoes', 'you smell great', or 'your hair looks good', I've realised the benefit it can have to actually *tell* the person. It's like the random act of kindness – if you can make someone's day better through one small gesture or compliment, why wouldn't you take that opportunity? You'll both feel good about it and hopefully pass it on to someone else.

@lovin each day I actually think that's super awesome of you, way to go! I think I'm gonna follow your lead and compliment the next person that stands out to me! Spreading those good vibes!

I totally agree with what @Myvo that a lot of people are unsure about how to react to compliments. My biggest fear was that they were secretly actually making fun of me and I didn't realise. Now I'm a bit older I have to admit I definitely super duper love when someone I don't know goes out of their way to compliment me.

I personally think it takes a lot of courage to compliment a stranger (even if you're not trying to pick them up) so I always try to react positively, even if I'm not feeling the vibes they're giving out.  Usually I fix them with my biggest, cheesy grin and thank them for them for whatever they said and then spend the next hour looking in every window / mirror about the thing they complimented and admiring it, hahaha. If someone compliments me and I feel uncomfortable about it (for example, at a club / bar) I just do my best to be polite by smiling and thanking them before shuffling away a bit to talk to my friends.

So yeah, I definitely think what you're doing is super kind and awesome! I think you'll 100% brighten someones day (:

I'd be suspicious at first, especially if they are a complete stranger. I know that I am pretty, but when I hear it from others, I don't like it very much. I'd probably reply with a thank you though.
Highlighted

yeah, that's what i am afraid off sometimes. The neighborhood i live in is a friendly one, where you can expect a greeting from a passing by stranger. i used to (well still am sometimes) shies away and feeling awkward afterwards.

Haha sometimes i wonder if I was born in the wrong decade

If someone on the street came up to me and complimented my appearance, I'd be creeped out and maybe even a bit hostile towards them - especially if it was a compliment to do with my body. The other day I told the girl serving me at the supermarket that I loved her nail polish and asked her what colour/brand it was. That is an appropriate compliment. Telling the girl standing next to you at the bus stop that she has a lovely smile, totally inappropriate. She's just trying to catch the bus.

I wouldnt say complimenting a girl's smile is completely inappropriate. If you get an elder woman to do that, people would accept it differently. If a handsome man did it then it is even acceptable. I think its rather the way it is delivered and that these sort of things would be a lot better if people do it more often.

I feel like a pair of headphones or the newer technologies closed us off a lot. Even a greeting to the person you walk pass by is something pretty nice but really under used.

mmm it is good to be defensive, but I think the day and age where irony and sarcasm is overly used, that we cant accept compliment. Most of the time it is not that hard to tell whether it is meant to be offensive or just nice. haha, i hope that the bus girl would be a bit happy if she was complimented by a passerby.