cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

When life goes downhill..... fast

What do I do if my life has gone from being as life should be (enjoyable, fun and all that good stuff) to bad, over the past 4 months my life has become terrible, I went overseas for a planned 2 year trip that lasted 2 months because my dad got cancer (again) so I came back (I also was on a path to becoming homeless even though I was staying with relatives and I couldn't find work as when I did I was threatened out of it by the manager) and while I was with my dad and helping him where I could I was also looking for work. So I apply for unemployment benefits because while I'm staying with my dad his girl friend wants me to pay board of $50 (lmao I'm unemployed plus she hates me) a week, I hear them arguing about me and I also learn I was tested for Asperger's as a kid and got 84/85 so now I now why I had literally no friends for my entire primary school life and half of high school. I cant find a job even though I've applied at multiple businesses (keep in mind the corona virus and the rising unemployment rate) and my town isn't exactly good for business. I've been to 2 job agencies and so for no luck. I can't talk to anybody about what I'm thinking about because the multiple times I tried that it went nowhere. People are cruel to me half of the time and I don't see a point in life, I wont kill myself (one main reason is mum n dad will be sad) its just I have nothing to feel happy about and nowhere to go, I scream and cry when I'm alone randomly because it just hits me that I'm going nowhere and no matter what I try I cant move forwards.

Highlighted

Re: When life goes downhill..... fast

Hey @EZTrings and welcome to ReachOut! It's so rough when life changes so suddenly and dramatically. It's a lot to process and can definitely bring about some intense feelings. I'm happy to hear that you don't have any intentions of harming yourself but I am hearing that you're feeling really low right now. Is there anything that helps you keep your head above water? 

Also, I thought you might be interested in checking this thread we have on how to take care of yourself at home, in light on the coronavirus. 

Highlighted

@EZTrings  Welcome to the forums!

I can relate to your situation so much, especially the parts about having to cancel plans due to caring for a sick family member and struggling to find employment. I'm really sorry about your dad and your struggles. Smiley Sad
Like you, I was in the middle of trying to find a job when the coronavirus came to Australia. It is already hard to find work in my field without a master's degree and now, it will be even tougher. I interviewed with a lot of places over the last few months but I think there has been delays in getting back to me due to the issues with the virus. Many companies have stopped hiring at the moment. I have heard about a lot of people who have been made redundant or have been told they can no longer be recruited. You're definitely not alone. It's definitely not a reflection on you and all industries are struggling right now.
What has kept me going is volunteering and doing some free online courses in the meantime. I have heard that organisations which involve delivering meals to homeless or elderly people are currently looking for volunteers because a lot of people have stopped doing it due to the virus. I volunteer at a nursing home and a lot of volunteers have stopped coming in and they are always looking for new volunteers. At my nursing home, the residents have been pretty anxious and down about the virus and many family members have stopped visiting due to fear of passing on the virus to them. Some places also offer virtual volunteering. Would these things work for you?

Highlighted

Highlighted

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles too man and I hope your situation improves. The people becoming redundant will definitely send me to a position in which I will not be able to find work, plus tomorrow with the non essential services shutdown that will be the nail in the coffin for me.
I'll have to look for these courses your talking about to that does sound interesting, as for the volunteer work and meal delivery organisations I'll look into that to as to me that sound like something I could do thank you. As for you I hope your situation gets better over the next few months, this has helped me man thank you.

Highlighted

I mean I don't know what's keeping me going, I guess at the moment I feel like I am nothing, this meaning I don't belong anywhere or have anything to do, i've been helping my dad but besides that its like im as people say "drifting in space". And i'll give that link a look too man thanks
Highlighted

Hey @EZTrings ,

That's a lovely phrase.  It does indeed feel like we are 'drifting in space' as it's such a surreal time for everyone.  These are unprecedented times so it's natural to leave a bit unsure of things, or what to do.

The volunteering and meal delivery services sound like they are worth exploring Smiley Happy   In the meantime is there anything you've wanted to do but didn't have the time, but now you do?  I've been meaning to read 2-3 novels for ages but was just too busy.  There's also some songs I want to learn on the guitar.  It won't make the situation go away, but will hopefully help cope with it.    

Hope you're doing ok today Heart

Highlighted

I mean not at the moment, I got made an admin on a server on a game I like to play. I know the guy too and we’ve been building it together. Besides that everything has still been terrible, my dads girl friend my mum and my dad agreed that I should stay at each respective household as per the old custody agreement. It hasent even been a day at my moms and she’s gone off at me twice for being m, she says I never look happy and I never show any emotion and that’s because of what she’s doing and what everyone else has done to me. I won’t talk to her about it because every time in the past I have it’s never worked and it’s only caused me more pain. I slept in to 1130 and I woke up to hear her saying “if he is still asleep at 1200 he’s not staying here anymore” and now I’m even more anxious and terrified. My Centrelink claim is on hold to because I need to provide more information even though on my phone interview I was told it was all fine but even though I told my mom that she still went off at me. I’m so scared and i just want to stop being sad and anxious and I’m going to break what do I do.

Highlighted

Aww @EZTrings that would have been a really hard thing to wake up and overhear. There is so much going on for you being between homes and awaiting centrelink payments. Congrats on being made admin on a server for the game you like - what game is it? I think stuff like that is a really important distraction to have, anything that gets you through the day is a good thing. 

I was also just wondering if you've thought about doing tele-counselling at the moment? It might be nice to have someone to chat to. We of course will also be here to hear you out and support you in any way we can. 

Highlighted

It was and considering she was the one of two people I could trust I feel betrayed and I even tried to tell her what’s up and she basically said “no you’re not” and ended the conversation, she acts like she loves me and I just wish I could know what she thinks about me. The game is unturned and it is a nice distraction right now as me and the actual admin have become friends in a way. And as for my Centrelink well what a joke it’s been suspended because people haven’t fixed it even though I went in in person and asked about it and was told they would because it was simple. I have considered over the phone talks with people but my extreme lack of freedom has bitten me in the ass as my mum can see every call I’ve made and I don’t want to spark that sort of potential conflict as I couldn’t handle that. So I’ll look into a burner or borrow a friends which at the moment will be a nightmare.