cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working out what spirituality means to me

Over the last few years I've started trying to figure out what spirituality means to me and how spiritual I am/ want to be. I've found that while I'm not particularly religious I am drawn to the idea of spirituality. I've had a few down times in my life and I've realised that having a purpose in life that's not just my career has really helped me pull through those times. What are everyone else's experiences of spirituality?

Re: Working out what spirituality means to me

I don't consider myself to have any connection to spirituality, and I actually find it really difficult to relate to. Probably not the most useful reply... But I'm glad for people who find that it makes sense to them and find it helpful.

@JustThatGirl wrote:

Over the last few years I've started trying to figure out what spirituality means to me and how spiritual I am/ want to be. I've found that while I'm not particularly religious I am drawn to the idea of spirituality. I've had a few down times in my life and I've realised that having a purpose in life that's not just my career has really helped me pull through those times. What are everyone else's experiences of spirituality?

Although religious over the past few years I found spirituality in the people I surround myself with and in my enviroment. Understanding the importance and impact that has on me helps me cope sometimes

Yeah, I agree @snowflake-19 - connecting with people and the environment are definitely good, natural and easy ways to get in touch with your spiritual side.

Has anyone tried yoga? I find that quite a spiritual thing to do - especially the guided meditation part that some instructors run you through.

Hey, I'd just like to share the way that my ideas of spirituality have been shaped. [I know it's long...sorry!]

I am a catholic and I go to church basically every saturday night for one hour unless I have to work. However, I have found that I really really disagree with a lot of the people in powerful positions in the church. My mum is catholic and my dad does not practice any religion although his family is buddhist. Luckily my mum and dad are both very well educated and have never made me feel obliged to do anything religiously centered and they themselves do not sugar-coat the idea of the world through religion. My mum is a very open person and has even gone on a buddhist retreat in Japan and did yoga and studied the different religions.

In reaction to a past preist we had in our church I found my religious views becoming more of a generalised feeling towards the concept of God. My dislike for the thigs he said about us being sinners was all done in a very old-fashioned and horrible way which made me resent being catholic for a while. However, our new priest is an amazing person. Since I support gay and lesbian marriage I was very worried about the week when the church priests were all made to recite an anti-gay-and-lesbian-Marriage speech and didn't attend mass that week. I was comforted by the fact that a friend's catholic priest refused to regardless of the consequences.

Basically my belief has become that "God is everything good".  It might seem superficial but I have though a long time about it and all the ways it could be interepreted.A very close friend of mine is aethiest and has asked me why I feel it has to be God rather than just morals and I cannot really explain but it gives me hope in the world and alows me to aspire to be someone better than I am. The priest who refused to read that speech inspired me and I feel that he embodies my religious beliefs about acceptance and non-discrimination.

I can honestly say that I have never once tried to convert someone and I do not believe in literal readings of the bible. Yet I still feel I am a catholic though even if i also disagree with more fundamental aspects of the religion such as the concept of "hell". I am definitely not a creationist although sadly many people assume catholics are...

Everyone is entitiled to their own faith and mine just happens to be what it is based on my life experiences. I feel that the concept of any God should inspire humbleness and goodness.
I'm still not sure where my religious beliefs will go from hereRobot Happy

I'm not religious, but religon can still teach us many things about life, whether we believe in a god or not. I believe that there is an essential human goodness in everyone in the world, and if religon is trying to get that message across to more people, thats fantastic.

One of the faults that I find in many people is that they're overly hostile to religon. They always rant on about the faults that it has, without acknowledging the benifits that it can bring, including hope for something better. They take the extrimists of religons and make them a generalisation, across the board, and in the end, their no better than the extremists of religon, they become extremist athiests.

I think that everyone is entitled to believe what they want, but should also be open to other interpretations of life and the world that we live in, whether we have faith or not.

I am Christian and I believe that my relationship with God is important and that is all that matters. I am not very religious and I am so open to other people's spiritual walks in life and their ideas about where we come from and who we are. I try not to impose my beliefs on others and I love having faith and hope in God because it makes me more positive that I am protected and I am loved which is what everyone needs to feel like. Smiley Happy 

I think spirituality doesn't have to do with religion, but it can do if it has meaning for the person. I think spirituality is what makes life meaningful for you, and is different for everyone.

It's great you've brought up this topic. I've spent a lot of time too pondering about this as well.

I went to a Catholic school for 13 years but always said I was Budhist because my parents were and it was a quick response because I didn't really mind at all what I was at the time. Although I can't say I'm concrete on any religion thus far spirituality for me is finding the right moment when I do need that support. I really enjoy meditating and relaxing and just being calm most of the time. Not sure if that exactly ties in with being spiritual but in my head they're linked. 

Also, that warm fuzzy feeling inside when you help someone or volunteer; that makes me feel spiritual.

spiritual = what makes life meaningful to you

I think Cassie might have hit the nail on the head with what I was trying to say.