cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Working out what spirituality means to me

This is a great topic.. I consider myself to be a Christian. I attend church most Sundays, work at a Christian school, attended a Christian school also. I think this has influenced my religious beliefs, however I have had doubts about several aspects of the Christian beliefs (particularly through my mid-late teen years). But I tend to agree with most things.

I wouldn't consider myself to be overly 'religious' - I don't consider it good practice to preach AT people and try to convert them. The most important thing is acceptance & respect. Acceptance of other people's point of view and respecting that it is their opinion and everyone can choose for themselves.

I think spirituality is finding something that makes life worth living, knowing there is a purpose in life - even if it is as simple as having family and friends who love & support you - that's spirituality.

What a great thread Smiley Very Happy I was raised an atheist and prob have shifted ever so slightly towards being agnostic with the influence & great discussions I've had over the yrs with my partner Dave.

That said I've always been very drawn to Buddhism. I attend meditation sessions with a local Buddhist monk and he always says the buddhism is a "smorgasboard" and we can just take what resonates with us. I think that's valuable.

@fosterthepeople - do you consider yourself buddhist still?

Cassie's quote really is great. One can definitely be spiritual outside of religion Smiley Happy

Yes I agree with Cassie's quote too, Spirituality is a personal journey that is meant to be enjoyed and loved by the individual. 

@fosterthepeople - do you consider yourself buddhist still?

the easy answer is yes. i use the term 'easy' loosely cause normally when people ask that's what i say. but honestly i haven't thought really long and hard about this cause relgion/spirituality just hasn't been really important to me so far.

so my yes answer isn't a complete lie but it's not a complete truth either. and i guess i do consider myself buddhist. i kinda also consider myself christian in some sense as well even though i haven't officially gone through all the 7 sacraments (i think it's called that). i went to catholic schools for 13 years and i do like some of the fundamentals like treating each other with respect and stuff like that. can i be both ? like a buddtholic ? maybe i just want the best of both worlds. 

who knows, 30 years down the track i may turn out to be a priest. probably not. but who knows. hahahaha

i guess my in between religion thing is my kind of spirituality ?  

I got an email sent to me and at the end was this quote which I thought was absolutely amazing Smiley Happy

“My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.”

-          The Dalai Lama

“My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.”

-          The Dalai Lama

I love this!!!

I've been brought up in a Catholic family whom are very religious. I am not a religious person. I am a spiritual person. I'm seeking acceptance and connectedness through Being and living in the Now, the present moment. That is where I can find peace and contentment and with that comes the stillness of existence.

To me this is God...this is what it embodies. It just is. It is not a thing. It has no identification, just as I AM.